Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Collierville , Tennessee
New Slideout on Airstream Motorhome

I toured the factory on Thursday and saw the newly designed Airstream motorhome with a slideout. The tour guides were not suppose to talk about it but did confirm the new slideout. This is a image of the very first production model.

Sorry about the upside down images. They assured me the actual motorhomes will arrive in the correct orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	294428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	294429  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	294430  
Randy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I just threw up a little bit��

I hope this is not a serious post....

Failure of epic proportions if that's the "new airstream"
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
Sorry about the upside down images. They assured me the actual motorhomes will arrive in the correct orientation.
Whew! I mean, you pay a whole lot of dollars for the darn thing to find they put the wheels on the wrong end; that would be a deal breaker for me, for sure.

IMHO, as far as slideouts go, it had better be so well engineered that it will be a manual operation; I'd want to pull it out and push it back in, (no motors). I've seen enough campers with stuck sliders and the resulting looks of concern and anxiety to want anything motorized and the resulting money to fix them.

I'll keep my non slide out 310 turbo diesel for a while yet.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Looks like it. Murphy bed slide out

Post 11 here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...re-172480.html
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
I just threw up a little bit��

I hope this is not a serious post....

Failure of epic proportions if that's the "new airstream"

I'm with you. I realize aesthetics are fairly subjective, but I think that is ugly. If Thor wants to build those they should stick it in one of their other brands.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
EBW
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Los Altos Hills , California
Hum Baby!

I think our 27 FB Ocean Breeze is the perfect trailer, but would love a new van if I could swing it, and this moves to the top of list. Please please please make it with a Land Yacht style interior.

Something for everyone, guess that's why there are so many models.
EBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
As the owner of an Airstream Slide Out Trailer I can attest to the durability and problem-free operation of the slide mechanism over 14 years of regular use. There are at least 80 such units with happy owners here on the forum. However, like those posted before me, that artist creation sure could have used a professional designer dedicated to beauty not mobile blight.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Whew! I mean, you pay a whole lot of dollars for the darn thing to find they put the wheels on the wrong end; that would be a deal breaker for me, for sure.

IMHO, as far as slideouts go, it had better be so well engineered that it will be a manual operation; I'd want to pull it out and push it back in, (no motors). I've seen enough campers with stuck sliders and the resulting looks of concern and anxiety to want anything motorized and the resulting money to fix them.

I'll keep my non slide out 310 turbo diesel for a while yet.

Cheers
Tony
Yyyyyyyyup!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So much more pleasing than the classic mh were. Looks more like a transportation device than the classics which looked like kitchen appliances. Never will be able to own one, but appreciate AS design.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
one third of the space in the back is dedicated to the huge bathroom, waste of space in my opinion. Also, the couch is set up to watch TV, dang I am CAMPING I want to view the outdoors!!!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Digital_Atlas-Preview-Brochure-Hyperlink.pdf (2.58 MB, 94 views)
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So much more pleasing than the classic mh were. Looks more like a transportation device than the classics which looked like kitchen appliances. Never will be able to own one, but appreciate AS design.
Mike, it's okay buddy. avionstream is just trolling for reaction from us Classic guys. He just lives in "nowhere, somewhere"; doesn't sign his name to his posts and throws darts whilst dreaming of maybe one day owning an Airstream Classic motorhome.

I like you avionstream but ususally your trolling is more subtle and sophisticated. Did my climate change response to your post tick you off?

Anyway, didn't I see a post that you were signing off for good?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
As the owner of an Airstream Slide Out Trailer I can attest to the durability and problem-free operation of the slide mechanism over 14 years of regular use. There are at least 80 such units with happy owners here on the forum.
Maybe that's the thing; you regularly use it and probably maintain it. Let it sit for while and will it work then?

Just saying; many slideouts out there that work......but when one doesn't, and you have to be out of your site on a Sunday; miles away from a qualified RV dealer whose backlogged with work for the next three months.......

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Not sure we needed a third thread about it though.......
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetokite View Post
one third of the space in the back is dedicated to the huge bathroom, waste of space in my opinion. Also, the couch is set up to watch TV, dang I am CAMPING I want to view the outdoors!!!!!!
That's what I noticed. The whole thing seems built around the giant TV set. I think ya can lower the set, but then the couch just faces a wall. Seein as I removed the TV sets in my international, I wouldn't even consider an RV that was built mainly for watchin TV.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Maybe that's the thing; you regularly use it and probably maintain it. Let it sit for while and will it work then?

Just saying; many slideouts out there that work......but when one doesn't, and you have to be out of your site on a Sunday; miles away from a qualified RV dealer whose backlogged with work for the next three months.......

Cheers
Tony
I have yet to encounter the "it doesn't work" issue, personally. However, the design provides a simple manual method for retraction which I have tested as a 'be prepared" task. It works easily and would not take more than a few minutes extra when departing. The only way I can see an issue is if the mechanism or shell got damaged pretty heavily (tree fell on it?). The rails are massive and overbuilt by design; not aluminum or other light gauge metal. The electronic controller can fail but it does not impair the manual process. That is no different than the crank method as backup on electric tongue jacks. I have listened to many trailer slide doubters over the years and it is always a story about a SOB model. The doubting minds found here on the forum are rarely open to another opinion but it doesn't hurt to report facts related to my experience with the Airstream product installed on the trailers. Without inspection, I haven't a clue if they brought their A game to the van or just used a system from a SOB supplier like their appliances.

Sorry for varying too far from the post topic regarding the new van.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Slideout(s)

Now there will be concerns - how many slideouts does it have? So un-AS!!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:

Cheers
Tony
I originally had a Winnebago class A with slide outs and got trapped twice when the slide out wouldn't retract. After jiggling it up and down half a dozen times with the auto levelers, it finally came back in. Had it to the service people several times and they could never have it fail to retract.
Because of that agony, I traded the Winnie for an AS Flying Cloud 28 which I just traded for a 2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate. I loved the room in the trailer but the convenience and maneuverability of the Interstate make it the hands down winner for me even with my 105 pound Husky and 95 pound Flat Coated Retriever.
I'll never have another RV with slide outs.

Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A Class C motor home on a Sprinter chassis with a slide and a Murphy bed already exists: The Leisure Vans Unity.
Still not big enough.
Still too much flipping/converting.transforming the space to serve one purpose or another.
It should be a Jayco or some other brand that Thor owns.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
avionstream is just trolling for reaction from us Classic guys. He just lives in "nowhere, somewhere"; doesn't sign his name to his posts and throws darts whilst dreaming of maybe one day owning an Airstream Classic motorhome.
Be nice to avionstream. How many people here on the Forums have over 6,000 posts to their name, as he does? I'll tell you. Just 37. Out of 113,104 registered AirForums users. He's been on the AirForums for a little over 12 years so far. Not the kind of record one would attribute to a troll, is it?

avionstream may be opinionated and too set in his ways to compromise on anything that's not life-threatening— or even on a few things that are— but those are traits he has in common with a whole bunch of us.

Most of us don't sign our real names to our posts. This is a publicly accessible forum, and being cautious about giving out personal information— such as not giving out one's real name and real hometown— is only being security-conscious. In fact, now that I think of it, I'm going to edit my own profile and remove my real hometown, too.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Slide-outs may be generally reliable, but they only quit on Sunday morning when it is time to go home for work Monday morning.
How do I know? Albeit this was on an sob trailer.
Still I think the year model 2002-2011 Airstream trailers with slide-outs had reliable slide-outs because I know never hear of one not working.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote