Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Safari and Insurance

Getting ready to order a new Safari but want some feedback about TT insurance. Anyone done their homework and come to some conclusions? Not looking for the cheapest, it is only cheap until there is a claim!! I'm getting the best TT and want the best TT Insurance.
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Melvin,

I just got a 2003 Bambi. State Farm wanted (and got) $373.00 for the year w/ a $250 deductable. This is the rate includes any multipolicy discounts.

I know it's not a Safari, but you can start to use it as a guide.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Melvin,

I have Foremost primarly because of the replacement coverage and the towing coverage for the trailer and my tow vehicle.

Here is a thread from last year.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...insurance+cost

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack,

That thread made me ask more questions that it answered. This is a good thing since State Farm could be taking me for a ride.

Please enlighten me as to what you do. I would also be interested in others comments.

State Farm always goes by current value costs and I need to know what happens if I'm at a campground and a tree falls on Bambi and it;s not connected. State Farm made a point to say I have ZERO liablity on Bambi on the cards they mail out.

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I use Foremost because of their replacement policy, and because of reports from satisfied Airstream owners. Obviously, if they're going to buy me a new 34' Limited in years 1-5 and give me what I paid for it in years 6-10, it's expensive. I've had State Farm on the vehicles longer than I can remember and that's what I have on the truck. Their coverage on the trailer wouldn't be nearly enough for me.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #6

We have had Foremost for 12+ years for our trailers.
We had a claim on our 1971, after an encounter with a gas station sign in WV. It did not go through the inside, but that was pretty close.
They refused to have the panel replaced because it would have exceeded the value of the trailer. They paid $1500 to have a patch aplied 2' X 7' . Several years later it is barely visible, and that makes it stonger.
We may be shopping for another company after reading so many good things said everywhere. In the end, good chance we will stay with Foremost. We have 3 vehicles with State Farm, not a good deal for the trailers.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #7

Maurice,

you posted while I was writing.... great minds.....
Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So what I'm hearing you all say, is that Foremost is great for total replacement cost, even if the unit is old, but they are bad when it come to repair?

To me, if I put a sign into my hull like it were butter and it almost entered the cabin, I'd want a new panel. I suppose I could make up the difference, but isn't that what insurance is for anyway. I like State Farm, but if I can get the same service elsewhere for less than 373.00, I'm all for it. I'm not worried about total replacement cost being how new the unit it right right now. That concern would happen in about 5-8 years I think for me.

Comments?

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
>Please enlighten me as to what you do. I would also be >interested in others comments.

Eric,

Bottom line most insurance companies are not going to pay out more than what the vehicle is worth....and that's the rub. If you have a vintage unit, Foremost reps told me that with proper appraisal they can insure your vehicle for more than blue book. I don't have a vintage unit so I can't prove that statement.

With the soft skin and living in the midwest with all its associated storms, I decided to go with Foremost based on the replacement guarantee in years 1-5, and the purchase cost in years 6-10.

I added the towing insurance from them also whick added $40 a year but that guarantees me tow of the trailer and the tow vehicle if the tow vehicle is disabled. That's about $59 less a year than Good Sam or updating my AAA.

Like anything else the proof is in the service. Obviously if nothing happens in my first 10 years of ownership, hindsite will tell me I should have gone with a cheaper company. With insurance its always a roll of the dice.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Insurance

I have my house and 4 vehicles covered by State Farm so naturally they were the first I talked to. I also asked for a quote from Camping World and Foremost. I bought my Excella almost 2 yrs. ago for $7,600 dollars. Coverage then was $196.20 for a year. I have $500 deductible. I was told that while towing, liability was up to limits of my automobile policy. While set up, my homeowners liability coverage was in effect. That confused me a little. Camping World sent me a quote on deductibles of $1,000 for collision and comprehensive and a limit on personal effects of $2,000 for free. They offered personal effects coverage up to $50,000. Price was $117 for 6 MONTHS and the quote was on May 9, 2001. I filed it and said no thanks. I was afraid to ask about a $500 deductible. I can't remember what the Foremost quote was but it was not something I considered at the time.

Maybe the price was right because I have my house and vehicles with the same company and they have been good to me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks all!

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Trailer Insurance

Now you have me concerned!! We also have State Farm Ins--muliti-vehicle, home, boat, shop, but not the dog--Our insurance for a 2002 Bambi is $25 per month w/ $1000 deduct--Does not include towing unless attached to the towing vehicle--also figured when stored over the winter I would disconnect the ins, like a car on blocks, agent said homeowners ins would not cover the trailer. this discusssion brings up some new issuses I need to address with my agent.
thanks,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
AE,

Will you make sure that you post your dealings with your State Farm agent. I'd kind of like to have this one worked out since I feel having the right mix is important. If State Farm can't deliver, then I'm gonna need to look elsewhere. I was under the impression that the vehicle is covered on it's own when not attached to the car.

Eric
Old 03-24-2003, 09:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
New Safari & Insurance

Just checked with my agent again today regards this issuse. Same insurance company, same trailer make, size & year, same coverage ( 250 deduct ) yours was I believe $373 w/ 250 deduct & mine w/ 250 deduct would be $577. The agent was to check this out ??? & get back to me regarding how they figure the rate, which differs by state. I was again reminded that if I took the coverage off during the winter the trailer would not be covered ( except perhaps by snow ). Also the homeowners coverage does not cover a rec vehicle should someone happen to get hurt ( like falling out the door, etc ). I was told that a rec vehicle needs it's own insurance coverage, whether on the road or stored. I' going to check further on this, as I wonder if the agent really is up on this.Funny how they get the angles to rip you off, as I have other trailers which are covered by the towing vehicle & when not attached, by our homeowners.
Can't afford to be without & getting so I can't afford to have.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I am a commercial Property & Casualty broker ( over 20 years ) and I haven't written homeowners or personal auto insurance for many years but I do know a few things. The first thing is to read, read, read your policy, especially the section about exclusions. A trailer will be covered for third party liability (someone else sues you) when it is hooked up to your vehicle. Your auto policy will not cover any physical damage (theft, collision, vandalism, etc.) to your trailer unless there is a specific endorsement adding that coverage. Your auto policy will not cover you for liability when it is unhooked at the campground and someone falls out the door or trips while walking by your site (don't laugh it happens) unless there is a special endorsement adding that coverage. Bring a list of questions to our agent and have your agent, not his assistant, sit down with you and go over the policy and your questions. If your agent won't do this find another agent.

Your Homeowners policy may have some coverage for your trailer but don't count on it covering what you think is should cover. Again, sit down with our agent and go over this personally.

Older trailers will probably need an appraisal to get it covered for what you think it is worth, make sure your policy gives you a stated amount of coverage or else you will get depreciated value.

New trailers need to be covered for full replacement, check the policy, Foremost seems better than some others. Remember, as soon as you drive it off the lot it is worth less, and you don't want to owe more than the insurance company will give you or else you could still be paying on a trailer that is destroyed.

Insurance is a promise to pay you under certain conditions for certain events, it is not a comodity so don't go for the lowest price unless you know what that promise means to you.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Insurance coverage

Thanks Mel for the info. I try to always cover the bases , however with the insurance thing, they seem to have to many. You brought up some interesting items, which I think I might have asked, but now I'm not sure.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 03-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Melvin,

You bring up great points.

Here's my deal... I have State Farm on two vehicles, a boat, and two parcels of real estate in addition to the '03 Bambi.

The trailer has no liability coverage if someone hurts themselves and sues me for damages while detached from the car and not in tow.

The trailer is covered under my auto policy when in tow regarding liability and somewhere between the tow vehicle and the Bambi's policy will I be able to get the Bambi fixed if damaged, etc. I am still trying to find out if I need a tow, does the Bambi get covered as well if in tow. This has taken over a week to get this answer.

The trailer when in my driveway or detached from the car, for any damage, fire, theft, etc are covered by the policy I have specifically for the Bambi (minus any exclusions, etc), but no medical payments.

A.E., your Bambi is an '02? Hard to believe that would be the reason why it's more. It could be driving record, claim history, location where you live, age, any number of reasons. I'm no saint behind the wheel and have a ticket or two in a three or four years. I don't make many claims on my policies, but I have made some in my 10 years with State Farm.

I will say this, insurance is an important thing to protect your assets from being sucked dry, and no offense meant toward Melvin either, but insurance companies (not so much the agents) and the loopholes they have can appear to be some of the most shadey, underhanded, well you should have looked at the microscopic fine print that is novel in size, around.

I'm the type of guy that when I'm hungry, I'm hungry...when I'm thursty, I get a drink. I'd like just for once, to get the real deal, no strings and no twisting the agents arm to get the bottom line without all the al la cart b.s. There are way too many complications in the industry.

The agents need to do a better job of understanding what it is they sell, ask the right questions, and cover your butt, but not overcover or double cover you based on the polices you have with them. In over 10 years going through this, I have yet to find one that can do the right thing.

I have now stepped down from the soap box!

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-25-2003, 10:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

This is such a good discussion because most people don't know anything about their insurance. Airstreams are expensive, last a long time and are worth insuring correctly. Believe me, you will find out what your policy will cover when there is a claim. That's not the best time to find out that the deal you got from cheapo insurance is worth less than you paid. I'm not suggesting that cost is not a consideration, I am suggesting that you find out what you are getting for that price.

I can't stress enough that you SIT DOWN with your Agent, not the assistant, and go through the policy personally and have a list of questions/what if's and get written answers. If the agent doesn't want to give written answers that is GOOD, he is not winging it!!! Most agents have limited experience writing RV insurance and probably don't know very much about them. Remember, the agent does not adjust the claim, the claims examiner adjusts the claim and makes payment. Just have him submit the questions to the claims department to get written answers. If you are buying a policy by telephone or mail, then mail the questions to them and get written answers.

My State Farm agent, he does my home and autos, is an RV'r so I have a call into him to get some answers that I can post to help those who have State Farm. I have requested a Foremost policy and I will post what I think about that as well as soon as it arrives.

Hope this discussion helps.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #19

Location....location....location

it is obvious that you will pay more if your trailer is parked in center city Megalopolis or in the boondocks. Vandalism is a lot more of a possibility if you live in Suburbia than on your own farm, or in or near a small farming community. The big headlines where we are now are: "police responded to car (or store burglar alarm)....it was a faulse alert.". When we where in Philadelphia, several death from gang shooting or a whole city block set ablaze by the police, these made the news.

listen to what Melvin P. Thorpe has to say, he obviously knows a lot more.

Just a small point which will not affect most of us.....except some people we know too well.....:
Quote:
A trailer will be covered for third party liability .... when it is hooked up to your vehicle
We found out that unfortunatly, even though our truck is registered as "Personal use", it is concidered a commercial vehicle as far as insurance companies are concerned, and we have to buy a separate liability insurance for it. More people are buying MDT for towing nowadays and this is an unexpected surprise.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Commercial vehicle brings up a whole new discussion about driving corporate owned vehicles. If you have all your cars insured by your corporation make sure your commercial agent knows that you tow a trailer and that you don't have any personal auto insurance. He will be able to fix you up with what is called DOC (drive other car) as an endorsement to your commercial auto policy and he will probable tell you to get RV insurance on the trailer. Not necessary to go into all the ramifications but your commercial agent will be able to go into it with you.