Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #21

The problem is, we do not have any commercial vehicle and commercial policies. They just tell us (several companies), that this class of vehicle is, as far as they are concerned, considered commercial, regardless of what you do with it.

The guy who buys a MDT to tow his 5th-wheel, as we see more and more, falls under this classification too.

We tried unsuccessfully to argue that we are penalized for trying to get the safest tow vehicle as we can get. They even refused to give us any extra discount (car and van with State Farm for 25 years.)
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Yes, it is a commercial vehicle but it is probably rated for personal use not commercial use (this is one of the factors used to determine the premium). If you were using the truck to haul goods for others, etc. it would still be a commercial but now it would be rated differently causing the premium to rise.
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:04 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by femuse
Location....location....location
I agree with that to a point. I'm in the Chicago area and my rates are less that A.E's rate. I would think that Chicago, LA and New York (not in that order) are some of the highest. The only way to know for sure is if A.E. posts the area he lives in where the A/S calls home.

On the comm vs. personal use, femuse, do you go around to fairs and such and do some for profit stuff with your large cube truck too? I don't know if that is why they count you as commercial. Of course if I have you confused with another party, all bets are off.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
New Safari & Insurance

Really want to thank Mel for the great insurance info. I'm getting more questions to ask the agent and to put them in writing is good thinking. I think I'll write down the questions ( from Mel's suggestions ) I want to ask & drop them off to my agent & have her send the answers back. As per a previous thread, I feel it's the questions I don't ask, or know to ask, that gets me in trouble. Regarding where we & the TT reside. We are located in the country side ( back woods as we call them up here ) of North-Central Minnesota. I am a blacksmith with my shop located back in a long drive. Most weeks during the winter, I see no one other than the wife & Mr. Turbo. No I don't get lonely. I have had no tickets or claims for several years, but the location is precisely why I have a problem with the insurance rates. No gun fire, no riots. no gang warfare. Nothing but peace & quiet. Maybe that's what costs.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:44 PM   #25

Quote:
I don't know if that is why they count you as commercial
Eric, just take the time to read the post by Melvin P. Thorpe:
Quote:
Yes, it is a commercial vehicle but it is probably rated for personal use not commercial use
If you were using the truck to haul goods for others.....it would be rated differently [commercial] causing the premium to rise
All MDT are considered commercial trucks as far as the insurance companies are concerned.
If we "were using the truck to haul goods for others" we would have a commercial policy. The policy would change but the truck would still be rated the same.

Any more questions?

A.E. Milliman:

As far as I know, some States who have big cities have problems with uninsured drivers (it's the case with PA because of Philadelphia, and New Jersey). They are taking more risks when writing policies in those States. They end up having to pay claims when an uninsured driver is involved. So, to cover their losses, they nail everybody in that State. Cities of course are more expensive , but everybody ends up paying more. I would guess that in States like South Dakota, Wyoming, they don't have the same problem.
What happened in Phila: they had more drivers without insurance than with. So the rates were going up. So less people were insured. So....
I think the State had to step in to try to stop this vicious cycle.
Other big cities may not have been sitting on their ass for so long, and put their foot down before it was too late.

So, in the end, it's still a problem of location. Just not as direct.

All of this is of course pure speculation on my part. But, it seems logical, no?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:05 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Chantal,

I read the post, twice for that matter, but it is possible given your two responses of late to my posts that you either misread me or don't read or understand what I am trying to get at. So I think that I will just let it be.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Have you considered

femuse
I understand where you're coming from.
Question, do you have a sign on the side of your tow vehicle that says,"Vehicle Not For Hired" ?? (It's something to consider). Has anyone else seen this before while traveling? I recall seeing this on several large trucks, even larger than the one you have.
ciao.
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:41 AM   #28

Quote:
do you have a sign on the side of your tow vehicle that says,"Vehicle Not For Hired" ??
Close enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	personal use.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1827  
Old 04-08-2003, 12:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Has anyone had any experience good/bad with RVAA (RV Alliance America), Bellevue WA or RV America Insurance, Westlake Village CA .

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
2002 Safari 27B
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

I have my motorhome and two vehicles insured with them.
Their prices are good, as for claims (nock on Wood) I haven't had any. They replaced a 20 yr old Allstate policy for a little more than half the premium

DUH......RVAA (RV Alliance America),
want310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:40 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Several years ago, I had State Farm on my autos and house. While pulling my boat, I had an accident that required a wrecker. State Farm would not pay for pulling my boat. Only the auto. I soon had a new insurance company.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote