Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Talking New Parents of a beautiful 2015 FC25' twin

I'm not sure where to put this. I've already introduced myself, but we've been waiting since May for our first Airstream. It's finally here. We picked it up Friday and we are thrilled. BIG shoutout to John's RV in SC.

So, I want to thank everyone here for all the input (holding my hand) through getting to this point - TV, model, etc. Now, I have a few (read 'bazillion') questions to get us on the road. Such as, there's no toilet paper holder - what have your solutions been? I don't/won't use a microwave, but ours has a convection/microwave. Any hints on cooking with the convection oven? And, this seems crazy, I can't figure out how to open the windows (I've done the credit card thing). How to get them to stay open.

The service guide was excellent, there was just so much to go over. We talked about the windows, then forgot to get back to that.

We will be moving to AZ from SC and planning to stay in the AS full-time while we search for property. Anyone have a list of things they keep in the AS?

Oh, and the black tank...they gave us some tabs. What do you use? I don't like to use chemicals, but what are the options?

And a name? We don't have a name yet.

Also, we will be parking at relatives. How do we connect to the house electric power?

Of course, no one is obligated to answer here, but all information is greatly appreciated. I know we will learn over time. For now, I'm going on the premise of "if you don't A.S.K., you don't G.E.T." <close as I can get to happy dance

Thanks,
Bonnie
BKuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your new AS! Look inside the top right sliding door next to the toilet - that is where AS often puts the toilet paper holder. Best, Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Could be your windows are stuck to the rubber gaskets. Release the two clamps at the bottom of the window frame. Lift one of the knobs at the side of the window or both. If there is resistance then don't force. Go outside and try to list the window glass by your fingers. If stuck spray around the window glass edge with silicon spray. Use a dull straight edge to get under the window and carefully lift the window. One of the inside arms should engage the first slot. Go inside and lift the window to the top slot. Go back outside and spray silicon on a sponge or cloth to wipe on the gasket. The window should be able to open from the inside with one lever now. Every 6 months treat the rubber gasket with silicon.

Kelvin
Old 09-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKuhlman View Post
We will be moving to AZ from SC and planning to stay in the AS full-time while we search for property. Anyone have a list of things they keep in the AS?

Also, we will be parking at relatives. How do we connect to the house electric power?

Thanks,
Bonnie
Bonnie... congrats on the new AS!!!

Where in Arizona will you be staying and during what months will you be in the RV?

We lived in our 44' Class A motorhome around the Phoenix area, two summers ago, while house hunting in Scottsdale. I learned a few things from that:

Summers in the lower elevation valleys of Arizona are difficult, IF LIVING IN AN RV, due to typical temps being 105-110 each day. We had three roof AC units on our late model, well-insulated coach and needed to run all three of them, pretty much 24/7, to maintain a comfortable temperature in the coach. For that we needed 50 amp power, of course.

Does your Airstream have two AC units/50 amp? If you only have one AC unit on your coach, you will want to park in a shaded place. Even then, running the AC full time, you may not be comfortable in the trailer during the heat of the summer months, if you are in the lower elevation valleys (Phoenix, Tucson, Havasu, etc.) If in the higher elevations, such as Flagstaff, the temps are much lower, all year around.

To hook up, you will need a 30 amp electrical hook up if you want to run a single AC unit. 50 amp, if you have two AC units and want to run them both.

In all likelihood, either of these (30amp or 50amp) will need to be installed for you at the relative's home, to connect to - IF you want to run AC. Hopefully where you will be parked is close to the house electrical panel so that you won't have to have a long run of 30 amp service run to get to the trailer.

If all you will want to power would be the fridge and TV, you could get away with 20 amp and an extension cord, but may not be able to run the water heater, microwave, TV and fridge at the same time. If you only want to run a coffee maker, microwave, TV, and fridge at one time, the 30 amp should do it. To run a single AC unit, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, TV, and water heater simultaneously, you will probably need to have a trailer that is built for 50 amp and connect to 50 amp service.

If you run the fridge and water heater using gas, you can reduce your electrical needs somewhat.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kelvin, I was able to open one of the windows, but it would not engage any of the slots to hold it open. Thanks for the tips on the silicone.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
DHart, we are quite familiar with the heat island. Although I'm from SC, we lived in the valley for 30 years. We're looking for property north of Prescott. So, we will most likely need to consider cold weather Airstreaming rather than hot. I'm thinking cold may be a bit easier.

So, we have one A/C unit in the 25' and a 30 amp electrical cable. My question is - where/how do we plug it in? They have 30 amp plugs at most campgrounds, but they look like the dryer plugs in the laundry room. I can't figure out where we might plug into at our relatives' home. It's not like a regular 110 outlet and we wouldn't want to 'alter' their home.

Just wondering how to connect into the power supply.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes, temps in Prescott will be much cooler. And, yes, in the winter there... you will need to consider the cold temps!

If your relative has a 30-amp outlet with the proper jack, within reach of your trailer's power cord, you're fine. If not, you will probably need the service of an electrician to provide a 30-amp circuit and jack in proximity to your trailer.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The goal to equipping the Airstream is to only have to worry about loading food and a few clothes when you want to take a trip.

So this means duplicating much of the kitchen cutlery and utensils as you have in the house. For plates and bowls use paper plates. We use Corelle plates and bowls and paper. You may want to purchase a small appliance or two. A portable propane BBQ is a must. We have an O'Grill. Gotta haves some folding reclining chairs and small table. Patio mat is a must.

For the bath we keep soap, shampoo and and extra set of razors. I have a spare electric razor because I always forget mine in the house. The trailer should have its own towels and wash cloths, cleaning supplies etc.

A small toolset is nice to have. I purchase a toolset that comes in a case from Home Depot to keep in the trailer.

As you use the trailer you figure out things that need to be in their full time.

As for hooking up to a friend's house electricity you whole purchase a 30 amp extension cord so you have 50 feet of combined length. You may/may not get away with running the AC on it. might be best to find an RV park to stay in on a monthly basis especially if your friends house is in a HOA. Purchase a 15/30 amp adapter.

Kelvin.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Toilet chemical help break down solids but are not necessary.all the time. If you are at full hookups you can use the black water flush to help rinse out the black tank. Also laundry detergent can be used to help clean out the black water tank while towing. Usually if at a water electric only site I'll fill the black tank up full before I go to the dump station then fill the tank with a few gallons of water and put some detergent down the toilet for the trip home.

Ther are numerous non-formaldehyde products available.

Kelvin
Old 09-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks Kelvin, I think we will be past the hot weather by the time we get there. So, I hope it will be easier dealing with colder weather. HOA not a problem - it's on a large ranch. So, I will look into the adapter to plug into the house electric, and we will probably use some propane as well.

Bonnie
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Congrats on the be AS, Bonnie. We bought our 23D at John's (their first AS sold) last summer. Great experience. They did a fantastic job on prep and we have had no warranty issues to speak of.

Regarding 30 amp plug, it is a special configuration that is only used for rv's. If you wire a dedicated receptacle you will want to install a female 30 amp/120 volt rv receptacle on a dedicated circuit from the house panel. They are available at Lowes. You can also buy an adapter to plug into a standard residential receptacle (maybe at Lowes, definitely at Camping World) but be advised that you will have to be cautious not to overload the circuit. Generally that means no a/c but everything else is OK.

Enjoy

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
For cooler weather just use a couple of ceramic heaters. They will heat the 25 fine if it doesn't get too cold. You can run the propane furnace to get up to desire temps and maybe with the ceramic heater and heat pump you'll be OK. When one tank empties take it off to get it filled. You could also run the heat pump too if the temperatures are not below 40F.

Kelvin
Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
FollySteve?!! It looks like we are nearly neighbors. I'm in West Ashley, actually, but try to get out to Folly often. So, I take it you know Ron, and the gang. We started out looking at 23's then went to 25's. Turns out, the original buyer of our 25 (in March) had it 2 months and decided he wanted a 30' Classic. Ron ordered his Classic. He traded back the 25FC and Ron called us to come see it. So we got a good deal on a barely used 25'. Thanks for the helpful info. I'll check out the options.

Bonnie
Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Your Airstream may trip any ground fault protected household circuit, so you may need a special circuit for your Airstream. Realistically you will need a special 30 amp RV circuit.

We don't like or use chemicals either, but dump and rinse the black tank at every opportunity. I figured our Airstream Flying already has two names on it, and that's enough.

Az winters can be cold at night, we use a Dyson Hot heater placed in the living area and aimed toward the bedroom, supplemented by the Airstream propane furnace when below freezing. This combo keeps consistent, comfortable temperatures and the plumbing from freezing up under the floor.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . congrats on the new AS. . . and when you get out here in AZ, look in on the 4CU of the WBCCI. Fun folks, who know how to have fun rallies. . . regards, Craig
Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Hey Bonnie

Wow, were W Ashley too now. Moved from Folly a couple of years ago ( need to update profile). Flood insurance getting out of hand. Live in Sandhurst now, off Orange Grove road. Loved Folly but honestly don't miss it a bit. Commutes to Mt Pleasant was brutal.

Yeah, Ron made us a"first Airstream" deal. They just became an AS dealer last summer.

We really wanted 25 twin but out parking space is tight and just not certain it would fit. Turns out it would have but 23d is still nice. But … I have a feeling 25 twin or the new 26 might be in our future eventually.

We camp in SC State Parks a lot. Poinsett, Edisto, Hunting Island, Colleton, Dreher Island. Devils Fork. Going to MB state park next weekend. Have you been campers for a long time?
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Steve, too funny. I grew up W Ashley, moved to AZ when we got married, moved back about 4 years ago. Now back to AZ to be closer to kids/grandkids. I can't believe how Charleston has changed/grown the last 30 years. Traffic from Folly to Mt. Pleasant must have been horrid.

I believe we are going to like the 25 twin. My husband is 6'1", so the longer bed length in the twins is more comfy for him, plus no loss of floor space. My son is now looking for a 19' too.

My husband grew up camping and hunting. We camped some with the kids when they were young. I'm really looking forward to more camping now with the AS.

Please report back on MB. I'd love to hear about it.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Charleston campers

We too are from Charleston, actually Ladson. Members of our Airstream unit are from W Ashley, formerly Folly, and just bought an Eddie Bauer AS from John's RV. If you are still in SC in October, we will all be camping at Edisto Oct 2-4. We camp across from the beach at the other side of the park - can't remember the name. We would love to have you join us and meet lots of other, friendly, helpful Airstreamers!
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKuhlman View Post

I think one of the most difficult things in planning for an extended trip, especially for a new comer, is not what to take, but what NOT to take. Typically we want it all, been there done that and still have that basic instinct. But, too much stuff just becomes a problem with clutter and feeling not in control of your new little world. Not to get personal but the only thing I take a lot of is underwear, tee shirts and socks. If you can take a couple of excursion trips before you head out for the big one, it will help you think through your options better. Enjoy, you will get the hang of it.
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Congrats on your new baby, Bonnie!! I am beyond jealous! This is the exact model we are planning on purchasing in the spring. Having lived in AZ for three years, I wish you the best of luck on staying cool. I will be very interested in hearing about your adventures of ASing in that climate. Did you get one AC or two?

Cathy
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote