Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #21
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
towing

hi again - I should have mentioned in my last post (in the models forum) that my hub has an old 73 Ford Bronco. That is what he wants to eventually use as a tow vehicle. It needs alot (mostly new engine and pwr steering) to make it usable. Just wondered what thoughts anyone had on that if we make the new engine a V8? Its wheelbase is the same as our Jeep but not sure of tow capacity. He thinks towing our 78 Argosy with our 73 Bronco would be "way cool" Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
And the SAGA continues...

Week Number three and lo and behold....

The remedy for the rear leak from the grey water tank - more accurately that the pipe with the dohickie called a flapper valve or something or the other - has been given a quick fix. Another AS owner suggested I just get one of those Tote-a-tanks so could just empty things out without having to hitch up the trailer every time. Reminder to self - investigate campgrounds and only use those which have the sanitary hookups... instead of being weary and saying "wow this place looks cool"...It cost me 89 + tax for a 22 gallon ... even comes with a handle that can be hooked onto back of a ball hitch...

Thought that my shower door was leaking an obnoxious amount of water - and did my best to not spray the door... then after several days noticed that the small damp puddle had become almost a small pond. Considering that with the rear leak - I had concentrated on using the potable water for cooking and bowel relievement festivities for several days... I sprang the notion to investigate the toilet as a source... Sure enuf.... had my own 'cold springs" whenever I flushed... Further investigation revealed a AS Option that I am not too terribly certain was a manufactures option... I had a - well doohickie - that normally sits on household faucets that let you move the hose around to spray out pots and pans - hooked to the toilet... everytime I flushed the coupling where it is tied into the water line would joyously generate fountains of fresh water... hence the carpet did its job and gleefully soaked it all up...

Luckily for me - every misfortune has a silver lining. The carpet was ruined and having educated myself on the effects of sitting water on wood - deemed it necessary to expidite my flooring project Being on a budget I went for the industrial laminate tile which I believe will make the perfect base layer for phase two which will be the laying of Pergo at a later time...

Alas - still one more 'unsolved mystery" which is none of the front overhead lights will come on, nor the galley light, or the outside light, or the door light... I should not be two hasty to say never - occassionally they will "all the sudden" come on. First time it happened it blew a fuse and I fixed that - however - the second time - the fuse tested SAT and I am left with determining when I will have use of the lighting and for how long...

And I had to replace my Aluminum Tanks becuase nobody here has the valves and after comparing the costs to recertify, new valve installation, and refill - it was cheaper to get new ones on short notice (decided one day without the ability to cook was about all I was in the mood for - wait who am I kidding - I cook only occassionally - the real reason was wanting hot water for long showers....(never have to worry about the tank get full from a 40 minute shower (kidding of course))....

Suffice it to say all is well and it has been a great adventure thus far...
Old 09-03-2002, 09:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Re: towing

Quote:
Originally posted by COArgosy78
He thinks towing our 78 Argosy with our 73 Bronco would be "way cool" Leigh
Not to be one to damper anyone's enthusiasm - I personally would rethink it as a option. Longer wheelbase does add to greater safety and overall comfort. Secondly - consider the mechanical issues with using a older vehicle - even if it does get a new engine. You have to worry about everything else on it going to pieces and could just become a money pit in repairs... I still have my Grand Cherokee becuase I can use it as a daily driver and I abuse it off-road (my hobby) but if you are going to actually travel with 6000lb+ AS on a regular basis on long trips... the "cool" factor may wear off fairly quickly.... But if you can do it and you love it - then by all means... just compare what it is going to cost to get load rated tires, shocks, helper springs, etc... etc... etc.. to that of just having another vehicle... or do what I did - I hooked up my AS to my GC and thought wow this is great!!! then I went uphill ...
Old 09-04-2002, 08:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
COArgosy78,
I'm with JodynJeep about rethinking the 73 Bronco as a tow vehicle. If memory serves me right, it is the small Bronco. A full size Bronco would be OK for your small AS but the small model would be an accident ready to happen.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Tow Vehicle Update...

Well, the Jeep Cherokee has made it's last trip! Thank Goodness!

Today we purchased a "new-to-us" 1996 GMC Yukon. It's a 4-dr, 4x4 with a factory tow package, a Vortec 5.7L V8 engine and 3.73 rear axle ratio.

October 4th we will take it on it's maiden voyage to Albuquerque...hopefully, we will make it there alot easier, faster & most importantly safer than we would have in the Jeep! Besides, I don't think Mr. InsideOut would have emotionally survived the anticipated 12+ hours it would have taken us to get there in the Jeep @ <45 mph! He can't stand driving as it is...now it should only be a normal 7-8 hours from Denver at 55-60 mph.

Thanks to all who posted advice that helped in our decision-making process

I'll post an update after the trip...

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:08 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Yukon

That should prove to be a fine tow vehicle. My old '73 Blazer with a much earlier version of the 350 very willingly pulled my 4100# sailboat on a heavy tandem trailer up to Lake Dillon and over the pass into Jackson Hole. The later 350s had a lot more punch than that old '73.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Shari,
You have chosen a nice vehicle which should handle your trailer without problem. Mr. Inside Out should arrive at your destinations in a better state of mind without white knuckles. Keep an eye out on the 2 piece on the manifold under the fuel injection throttle body. They have a tendency to start leaking antifreeze sometimes and when you spot that, the gasket needs to be replaced. Other than that, you have a great unit.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Craig, we'll keep an eye out for that...in the meantime, "happy trails to you...."

Shari
Old 10-15-2002, 10:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's the update I promised...

We made it to Albuquerque in one piece and with our sanity intact!

We LOVE the Yukon...it meets our need perfectly...up Raton Pass we only slowed to about 50 mph and the rest of the way we averaged 65 mph and got 12+ mpg overall. Towing was uneventful and the 7 hour drive with Mr.InsideOut (I-don't-like-roadtrips-until-I'm-there) was actually pleasant! Yipee! Gives us something to look forward to next season...getting ready to winterize this weekend.

Thanks to all the advice...

Shari