Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
New owner of a 2017 Classic with lots of questions

Ok, don't laugh. I just purchased a 2017 Classic and boy do I have questions. First, please know that I have tried to find the answers on my own and I would call the dealer but it is Sunday and they are not open. (Trying to make it home to the Atlanta area from New Jersey). The owners manual is not very helpful, I have a few suggestions that I will send to Airstream but for tonight I have just one pressing question. Where the heck is the water tank fill located? Simple, right, well it isn't on any diagram that I was given. I am hooked up to water, city water, but before I pull out in the morning I would really like to make sure I have water. I found the black water flush valve, found most everything else, but I will be dinged if I can't find the water holding tank fill. Right now I have about 30%. The other big problem I am having is no hot water in the shower. This is really strange because I have hot water in the bathroom sink and mostly hot water at the kitchen sink but the shower water is too cold to use. Guessing, I would say the hottest that is has ever gotten was about 65. I know the hot water uses the Alde system so I am wondering what the heck is going on. Any help, all help is welcome. I am so new to all this that I don't even know if I will be able to see replies. I sure hope so.
On a more positive note, everything seems to be working as it should. No regrets and really looking forward to many, many happy years with my new Airstream....her name is Abegail.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Not a Classic, but the fresh water fill on my 30' Flying Cloud is on the OPPOSITE side of the services, which I didn't expect.

Anyway, mine is under a key lock door, then a cap.

Hope this helps...
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . yep, under the locked PLASTIC compartment door..........fill manually. 39 gals of water @ 8.6 lbs per cost me ONE gallon per mile in gas mileage, I usually carry about 10 max for emergency.. . .You'll get used to that manual with a little practice, it's not THAT bad......good luck, Craig
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The water fill is behind a lockable plate on the starboard side. I think. That is where it is on my 30. Try the propane setting on your HWH and turn the shower on full blast after about 15 minutes. If it's not hot, you may have a faulty faucet or blockage in the hot water line. Dealer should fix it. Good luck. Jim
Old 12-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Hi Kendrick,

Congratualtions on your new Classic. It is a great coach.

The water fill is behind a locked door on the street side just aft of the refrigerator access panel.

There are 2 mixing valves in the Classic. The first is located under the front dinette seat and controls the overall temperature of the hot water. The second mixing valve is located behind the shower valve. It controls the temperature of the hot water going to the shower only. My dealer had to adjust both of these valves to get my coach dialed in.

The other thing to know is that the all the system has a setting for additional hot water for showers.

Safe travels,

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
From the Alde manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	276378  
Old 12-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Kendrick:

We have the unit you now have. No Airstream is like it, trust me it's our forth Airstream.

You fresh water fill is on the road side, behind a locked stainless steel square door. The key that opens it is the very small one with the black plastic holding part. It might be very hard to open as they seem to be very tight. If so, push in as you turn the key and then when open bend the tab that locks the door closed.

The Alde system is a whole new animal. I found a sheet a month or so ago from another trailer mfg forum that explains how to adjust the hot water. I'd be glad to send it to you or walk you thru it if you want to call me. Once adjusted you should have almost endless hot water.

I also have the schematics on the 12v system, 110v system, plumbing system and Alde system as well as the Alde owners manual if you want them.

Send me a message and I'd be glad to help out.

Also, watch the refrigerator doors very carefully as the handles from the cabinets will hit the doors and dent them, a number of us have had this experience.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Congrats on purchasing a fantastic RV. We love ours.
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thanks for the replies.
Found and filled the water holding tank. Sad that fresh water has to be under lock and key but I get it and Bud...you were right, it was really tight. I was worried I would break the key in the lock but finally got that task accomplished.
Found the mixing valve under the dinette and adjusted it a bit and I will locate the mixing valve behind the shower today and see if that helps.
I knew the 2017 Classic was unlike many others, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet. Lots to learn but all of your replies are very welcomed and it is nice to know I am not totally winging it on my own.
Bud- I know this isn't the right place to post my email but gonna do it anyway. Looks like you may be my instructor for bit until I can work out some of the kinks. Any info you have is greatly appreciate. Lauri.J.Kendrick@bellsouth.net

Again, thank you very much for the posts.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Lauri all files sent to you in three emails.

Bud
Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I have a 2005 classic and the doors on front battery compartments are real tight was well. I find pushing the door with other hand and then turning key helps relieve some pressure on the door and lock so you dont bend key in lock.

a bit of wd40 in them might be good as well as they locks may be a bit stiff as well.

congrats the 2017 classic is one fine AS.. love the non fan heating system they use that heats the shower floor and towel bar rack.. very cool indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Found and filled the water holding tank. Sad that fresh water has to be under lock and key but I get it and Bud...you were right, it was really tight. I was worried I would break the key in the lock but finally got that task accomplished.
Found the mixing valve under the dinette and adjusted it a bit and I will locate the mixing valve behind the shower today and see if that helps.
I knew the 2017 Classic was unlike many others, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet. Lots to learn but all of your replies are very welcomed and it is nice to know I am not totally winging it on my own.
Bud- I know this isn't the right place to post my email but gonna do it anyway. Looks like you may be my instructor for bit until I can work out some of the kinks. Any info you have is greatly appreciate. Lauri.J.Kendrick@bellsouth.net

Again, thank you very much for the posts.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Not happy with my purchase of the 2017 Classic

I am sad to say that I am not happy with the Alde system. I am hoping that this will turn out to be a minor glitch and will try to get an appointment with the closest service center since I am now 500 miles for the purchase dealer. In spite of help for the forums and spending 3 days working on this while trying to get back home, I have been unsuccessful in getting adequate heat or hot water that lasts more than 3 minutes. Now I am having to use the heat pump to heat the trailer and had fully expected to have a shower last longer than 3 minutes. I have tried adjusting every valve, every setting, every suggestion and it just isn't working.
On the bright side, it is pretty and the bed is very comfortable.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I am sad to say that I am not happy with the Alde system. I am hoping that this will turn out to be a minor glitch and will try to get an appointment with the closest service center since I am now 500 miles for the purchase dealer. In spite of help for the forums and spending 3 days working on this while trying to get back home, I have been unsuccessful in getting adequate heat or hot water that lasts more than 3 minutes. Now I am having to use the heat pump to heat the trailer and had fully expected to have a shower last longer than 3 minutes. I have tried adjusting every valve, every setting, every suggestion and it just isn't working.
On the bright side, it is pretty and the bed is very comfortable.
Did you check the fluid level ? The system won't work properly until all the air works itself out and this could take some time. Our heating system works great.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
my new classic came from the dealer with low fluid level , it took over a gallon of fluid and had to be bleed 4 times. I have also adjusted the mixing valve and just found out above that there is also a mixing valve behind the shower valve
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Here is more information about the shower valve. The adjustment details can be found on page 14.

http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1110626_2.pdf

This is another useful link. It takes you to the 2017 Classic Parts Catalog.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf

Ron
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
We love the looks of the 2017 Classics, and would enjoy the extra 3 feet of space, but it is threads like this one that have prevented our purchase. As many others before me have wondered, why would Airstream and its dealer allow a $139,000 unit out the door without checking and double checking the trailer's systems? Our simple 2015 Flying Cloud seems like a bargain at a new cost of $90K delivered. Everything has always worked as designed. I think I'll give it an extra love pat before bed tonight.
Kilo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:59 AM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Kilo3- yes, I am wondering why all this was not done, addressed and fix prior to me leaving the lot. They had the unit for 4 weeks after the purchase and me coming to pick it up. Seems like it should have been working like a top. Not sure if it is really Airstream problems or dealer but I will forge ahead and get the thing set up and working like it should soon, I hope.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
After working on the Alde system for 2 days adding fluid, bleeding air adding more fluid, resetting the mixing valve on the Alde unit, I have not been able to get hot water at the shower over 85 deg. This is very disappointing that Airstream would deliver a system that does not work. Those of you who know us , know that Lynda and I are long time owners of 6 Airstreams and great supporters of the AS brand however to sell a 6 figure trailer w/o a tested hot water system is beyond belief. I am planning to redeliver my trailer back to Bay area AS and let them and Airstream inc figure out how to redesign the system so it actually works. Since we know the executive group at AS I will also let them know that they may want to discontinue sales of the 2017 Classic until they get this problem corrected. I am convinced that it is a design flaw.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Wow, very sorry to hear of your issues, Kendrick.i.j.

We're also kicking around a new Classic in '17 (it would help if we won the lottery, though. ). It is a beautiful unit.

Ditto on the dealer setup being improved, but goodness, would you not think that this would be working when the trailer left Jackson Center?

From the comments in the thread, this seems to be a common issue (having concerns with the Alde) on the Classics.

For those that have them, how big of a problem across the Classic line is this? Or is it a case of just a one or two unit issue that is being reported, while dozens of other owners are not having any difficulty?

Not trying to downplay the OP's problems, that must be very frustrating.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
SilverPal2:

There really is not a major problem. There is to us owners, but not the unit. Look to the posts on the water and heat system and you'll find lots of info. on adjustments etc.

We too have had multiple Airsteams and love them. This is issue pretty common with this unit as I've talked to multiple owners and the factory of another brand that has used this system for a while. It happens for a while after new delivery as the fluid and air settle out.

Good luck

Bud