Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Waynesville , Ohio
New member trailer shopping

Thank you for adding me to your forum. Iím hoping to learn about Airstreams while we are looking at trading campers.
Currently we are pulling a 34í Travel Trailer and are considering an Airstream based on the perceived durability and perceived value retention. Are there any forum users or moderators that have made the jump from a traditional travel trailer to one of the comparably sized (length) Airstream? I recognize that comparable size may not be the best choice of words since they are not really comparable since the Airstream doesnít use slides. They really are smaller.
We just spent a fair amount of time looking at them. The interior and exterior fit and finish is beautiful.
Iím wondering if you made the jump, how did it go for you? Is it as trouble free as they say? Do they really hold their value? If you want to share pros/cons thatís good! They donít have the cargo space that a typical TT has but maybe I donít need as many tools to go with me.🤔🤣
Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, we are pretty heavy users from a road Warrior standpoint (mileage)

doncima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I had a cruise lite 27. I lived in it while working out of town for two years. Our AS Classic 30 is a better trailer with better bearings, better tires, better layout, better interior.

I've rally had no problems. Travel does vibrate some things loose. But same thing happened to the other two RVs.

Note....slide outs are over rated.

Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
We are new to Airstreams although we have admired them for many years. We love our Bambi FC20 FB, it is absolutely perfect for us as far as the layout. Although we have tent camped and lived in an RV while our home was being remodeled, we are newbies for sure.

Regarding slide outs, our temporary quarters had a slide out and they certainly add space but they also add considerable weight, which when you are towing can certainly be a concern.

You will find that it seems like almost everyone loves an Airstream and will tell you so. Kind of reminds me of the compliments we get on our old 1964 Corvette which we have owned for decades now. You will find yourself saying "thank you so much we love it too" quite often.

Highly recommend that you do a couple of test runs locally before you venture out on a long trip. We had a couple of very minor easy to fix issues that were uncovered on two weekenders locally specifically for that purpose.

You may find that you will discover disappointments in hidden quality issues but likely that is true with any brand, and perhaps you will find satisfaction in correcting those deficiencies yourself. Even $2 million+ homes have problems that seem ridiculous such is life unfortunately.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
I've had both, three fifth wheels, one white box tow behind, three Airstreams. I like them both. My current white box (Arctic Fox 25R) functionally beats the pants off my Airstream Safari 25. Far better insulation, much more storage, better water/black/grey tanks, better ground clearance, better battery storage, easier to add solar, thermopane windows. But I like my Airstream for different reasons. I use the AF for extended travel in rugged terrain and in cold conditions which I particularly like to camp in. I like the Airstream for extended travel with no long stops. It's not unusual for me to take off from Florida to California, make the drive in four or five days, stay four or five days then drive back. When I found and bought my latest Airstream I thought I'd quickly sell the AF but after a day or two of pondering I decided it was best to keep them both for different reasons.

I don't find the Airstream to be any less maintenance than a white box. One of the things I like about Airstreams is working on them and they do take a good bit of work to maintain.

Holding their value? Yes, nothing tows like and Airstream and nothing holds it's value like an Airstream.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Love my classic 30. We bought new because of warranty and the fact that we got into a new model for about the same as a 3 year old model. Definitely holds value.

We do like the size and functionality of other brands that we have walked through and the smallness of the airstream is usually the first thing that people note vs some other brands. Canít beat the windows though! The great out doors should really be your living room. The trailer is for sleeping in! Love that we can take our airstream just about anywhere with zero concerns with height.
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn and share and it's good to have you with us.

One of the things we enjoy about having an Airstream, in addition to the trailer itself, is the Airstream Club. We enjoy the rallies and meeting others with the same common interests.

Regarding holding their value, if you buy a new one you will take a fairly steep hit over the first several years. But after that it's not bad. As an example, our first AS was a used one (2009). We had it for four years and when we traded it for a 2018 model we got what we paid for it.

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Buying new has the advantage of a three year warranty and if itís timed right with a price increase then the depreciation isnít as bad too.

2018 classic 30. We could sell it for what we bought it for since the new ones MSRP is $150kish. I guess it helped that we bought it with no sales tax (Oregon resident at the time)
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Mesa , Arizona
Best purchase ever

We were looking 2-3 years ago and hesitant to buy new. We had no idea if we would like traveling in the AS or camping in general. So we searched for and found a great used unit. I figured if we loved it we could buy new and sell this one. Previous owner took exceptionally great care of the rig. We renovated the interior for personal taste. I love my 1998 classic. No desire for a new one at this point. Updated with composting toilet and lithium solar battery we are set. We paid about 65% of the original Selling price for our rig. I would do it again for sure. Best purchase ever. I will try to post before and after renovation photos, even tho some may find them sacrilegious. Makes us happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	730AD453-CDDC-49C8-A4BF-949082500DA8.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	344105   Click image for larger version

Name:	8082E2CF-CFE9-4F1C-987F-4F51F2C75764.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	344106  

REET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Welcome

We started on this forum and it helped us determine a 25 ft ft bedroom twin best fit our needs.

Nothing is perfect especially me! My hallo fell off years ago but the folks on this forum have helped us with answers suggestions and moral support. Itís an Airstream thing.

A visit to the factory should be on your list. We have had positive help from the mother ship and her employees.

Again welcome. Enjoy the shopping experience. We looked for three years afraid to jump in. And donít be afraid to buy a used unit that has been well loved.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a *lot* of time looking (decades ....). There is no single RV out there that is perfect. They all cost money to buy and money to own. They all are too big on the road and too small on a rainy day in camp.

That said, I have no regrets about buying the 30' Classic and would buy the same again if this one vanished. If I was spending somebody else's money and had a driver .... hmmm ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #11

2002 34' Classic S/O
Lafayette , Louisiana
34 Ď AS for sale

We left large motor homes for an AS 34. Wouldnít go back. Enjoying it so much we now have two of them. If you are interested we have a 2002 34í Classic Ltd with slideout for sale.
You can contact me at terrygmac@gmail.com or look at our listing in the classified section of this forum for info about it.

Terrygmac is offline   Reply With Quote