Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Smile New Member introduction

My Wife decided I needed another project, and also something to keep me away from the house for extended periods of time, so she bought me a 1967 Globetrotter 20' Airstream for my birthday. It's awesome!

I just took delivery today, and while it does need some work, all major systems (electrical, plumbing, axle, frame, floor and skin) are in pretty good shape for a 47 year old trailer!

I'll post some photos when I get some time, but for now, I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I start to dive into the "little" things that need fixing.

I've never owned an Airstream before, but I have restored a 1989 Coleman Savannah pop up camper, and am almost done getting a 1972 International Scout back on the road (maybe my tow vehicle? I know, short wheelbase, ugh).

As my Airstream owners manual says, "We will be seeing you on the road!".

Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get answers, lots of answers. It is also nice to see another Eastern Washington member. Have fun and good luck with the new trailer.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I thought that I would welcome you also, and in that way there would be 3 posts in a row from Washington.

Do post pictures and commentary on how things are progressing. Happy belated birthday, and what an awesome present!

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

1968 20' Globetrotter
Globe Trotters Rule!

1967 is a great one to have. It'll take around $10,000 and three years to get it upgraded, and restored the way you like it.

Resist the urge to polish it first, if ever. Everything you need to do has already been done by someone on the Forum, and you can find your answers with the Search Function. Order the standard preservation materials about sealing vents, segments, door gasket, window gaskets, Acryl-r, Tempro 635, Captain Tolley... Toss the univolt, replace with modern converter, get a Lifeline battery, pex, axle replace, Michelin LTX MS, coupler rebuild, Have furnace thoroughly checked, it can kill you. Long list of eventual repairs, but you can use it while you fix it. It's fun to work on an Airstream.

The 100 inch wheelbase of the Scout isn't necessarily a deal-breaker but you'll have to be cautious on the highway and really work to minimize the hitch ball to rear axle distance. A knobby tired Hi-lift 4cyl Scout won't work, but a V8 with sensible wheels and tires like Michelin LTX, and weight distribution and sway control, and very moderate speeds, load up the scout with trailer spare and supplies. Keep the trailer light and empty.... Well, You Scout guys deal can with adversity.

There are those that won't tow a Bambi without a Hensley Hitch, and those towing 34 footers who “Been towing for thirty years, and don' need no stinking WD and sway control”. This is an eternally controversial subject, as is tires, bike racks, Tow Vehicles, coffee makers... I'm delighted with the Reese mini-lite 350 WD, and six Michelin LTX MS on the ground. 113” wheelbase Caravan + GT Rig handles like a Camaro, and is hands off the wheel arrow straight through 70mph on-coming and over-coming bow-waves on the highway.

An Airstream in the driveway is a comfortable place to relax, plan, daydream.

Happy Trails
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario

Another Globie! Welcome, welcome to you both.
If the torsion axle is original it is probably toast. Word on the street is that they last 15-20 years then the rubber is too hard to do its job.
TV: 2007 Jeep GC Laredo diesel
Toy: 1995 Jeep YJ
Experience is what you get from not having it when you needed it.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Polishing and POs

I completely understand the advice not to polish this trailer, but I'm in a bit of a quandary. Seems that at some point, some previous owner thought it would be nice to put an Excella badge and blue stripe around the body. The person I bought it from did some work to remove it, but now it's kind of in between. The person I bought it from said to just keep at it with a scratch-free scotch pad, but I'm thinking at some point I'm going to have to polish this up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Globetrotter 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	207266   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 globetrotter 3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	207267  

Name:	1967 Globetrotter 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	207268   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Globetrotter WTF.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	207269  

Name:	1967 Globetrotter 9.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	207270  
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #8

1968 20' Globetrotter
My goodness, yours appears to have been well cared for, and ready to camp.

Maybe a good bodyshop painter can clear and blend the the removed stripe. Some bodyshops have experience and tooling to remove stripes too. There is an apparent change between clear and plastic coatings on different years, Don't know exactly, but there might be something correct in an aerosol can from Jackson Center. Read up and decide if you want the commitment of a polished trailer.

From the photos, your axle looks good, but you'll figure out how to assess it more accurately.

Looks like your wife made a very good decision... Lucky Guy!

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Globie Newbie
1970 21' Globetrotter
El Cerrito , California
That is lovely! We just got our 1970 Globie too - it's going to be a fun adventure! I will be sure to watch for your updates.

As for stripping the paint, I took off pin striping with a rubber wheel on a plug in drill. I think 3m makes them. I wonder if it would work for your issue.
laragc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Welcome to the community. You can (and will!) find answers to virtually any question/issue that you come up with somewhere in this site. I did! I can also tell you that so many of the good ideas saved me time....though the upgrading I've done has also cost me some $. Your trailer looks to have been well cared for, and doubtless, you'll go through every inch to verify that. Look forward to hearing what you find.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Great looking unit, looks like it's had some TLC! Welcome to the group!

Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote