Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Just to jump in here: I would not consider travelling with a full water tank. We normally put about a 1/4 tank in and that is enough for lunch stops of bathroom breaks if needed. The (only) time I would fill my tank is if I'm going to boondocks for a few days and then I would fill the tank as close to the location I plan on stating as possible. No sense dragging all that weight around that a full tank would cause.

Just my .02 and how we do it.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our water tank sits centered between the axles and at its lowest point, there is no better place to add weight to the trailer. I believe it stabilizes it, offsets some of the added travel weight and moves the center of gravity nearer the center and lower.

I recall Airstream shop owner and expert Inland Andy recommended many times to fill the tank for a better towing Airstream.

So we do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We always travel with at least a half tank of fresh water. This allows us to make a quick overnight stop at a campground and hook up electric only.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arnold View Post
Question, getting ready for first trip. We are going to make it a short one, but would like to know if you put water in the tank before you take off?? No laughing!!

Don't forget to sanitize the fresh water tank before filling it up.

I fill the tank before leaving home, even if I know the water source is good at my destination. It's better to have it onboard and not need it than to need it and not have it.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! You are wise to first consider how you will use your coach. The advice to "live" in the coach for a bit as if it was a rainy day is spot on.

As for what year to get, that's up to you and your budget. Buying used is generally the best choice for the first couple of times, as someone else has taken the biggest depreciation hit.

While you are considering your options, start thinking about your tow vehicle. Unless you are already planning to get a different vehicle, find out what your current one can tow. Lots of threads here about how to do that. Compare the heaviest gross weight from the trailers you are considering to what your vehicle can tow. If the towing capacity isn't greater than what you are looking at you will need to either go with a smaller (lighter) trailer or a more capable tow vehicle.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bradenton , Florida
I am so grateful for this forum (can't say that enough). We will keep an eye on inventory re: Foleu and JdSanders (esp since it isn't that far from us here in Bradenton). We are overwhelmed w the Airstream Classifieds and such, and being novices that we are, we would have no clue what to look for in any 70s models for example. It was nice to see that the Safari 25 SE has very similar floor plan to the flying cloud. I also noticed that the Tradewinds and Overlanders (?) w the mid twins and rear bath (but big center winder and lots of light) were tempting vintage models to me - still NO experience (except fixing up a house in Brandenton which is MORE than enough surprises and wallet hits). 1. So, do we "call" JD Sanders and such and tell them we are hoping to find say an older model of a safari se 25 or flying cloud and give them some years to work with?? There aren't many in the airstream classifieds that's for sure. 2. I looked at theWBCI (sp?) clubs (the Tampa is nearest one to us) - i emailed the contact on that site, but no response so far (about 7 days). Noticed there are no rallys until Sept for many. I would love to find some Airstream commerediere/knowledge and even though the ages look a little more 'mature' than us - we would do our best to befriend regardless. Any suggestions on who to contact during this summer (and how)? What clubs near us besides the WBCI (i looked in list - no rallys and some clubs are far - next closest one had no contacts listed?
hiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lots of wbcci members in fl go north for rally's etc in the summer, hence not much in fl then. Call sanders and let them know what you are looking for, ask for Ben. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote