Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Thumbs up New home for the Touareg.

Well we got the new 25'SS and have been in it for two days now.I can say that this is the best switch I could have done.So much more room than the bambi and no worries about space and luggage.everything can go in the Airstream without ever putting anything in the truck.Another plus is that my 3 year old can run around and play without being so limited to space.I am glad I did this.We took a lot of things from the 19' that we had put in it and moved it all in the new one.It took about a day to get it somewhat organized.
I will try and post pics as soon as I can.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Damn you. Let's see some pics!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Talking

westfalia,

You coming to the luncheon tomorrow at Piccolos at Hampden and 25?
Time is at 11:00 a.m. We have a speaker!!
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up

Way da go man, that is one sweet combo!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

I was about to take some pics but my batteries were dead.Plus it started to rain.I will post them as soon as I can.Sorry.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Devo, I was just busting your chops. You made a nice upgrade! I'd love to hear how well it tows, how well you can see around it (since it is wider by 6" isn't it?), and how well you like the expanded floor plan!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Coloradobus, Sorry, I completely missed your posts, until today. I couldn't have made it anyway, but thanks for the offer. I can't make it down to Casa Bonita either, as I will be camping in Moab with the Babmi! Hopefully I can make Loveland, but I might not see anyone until the maintenance rally.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Airstream

Aircooled...
It pretty much handles the same.I can tell it is there a little more but it still pulls like there is nothing back there sometimes.I wonder if it could be because of the dual axels.I purchased some of those extended mirrors and they work ok.They tend to vibrate a bit but it really helps on the visual towards the rear more when needed.Backing this thing was the best thing that I liked about it.I can do it with one motion so far.With the bambi it would turn on a dime and I would have to do 2 or 3 tries.
The floor plan is awsome.Perfect for a family of three and one extra in case we have one of her friends along with us.I love the fact that I can sit down and relax on the sofa while she is at the dinette eating.Plus I dont have to keep saying excuse me every time I want to go around one of them.I think this is one of the best things I could have done when I switched out the Bambi for the Safari 25'SS.I have no regrets on this move at all.
One thing I thought was nice was the sun roof.It lets a lot of light in is great for extra heat in the winter time.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Question What's your next TV

Devo -- Sounds like you've got a unit to bank on for many years to come. Congrats. I'm pretty sure you're overweight on the Touareg now tho...

I walked by a Touareg the other day and it was not very beefy. Looking at VW's Touareg specs I see pretty complete numbers compared to some mid-size SUV manufacturers. It says the Payload for the V6 is 1400# and for the V8 is 1250# (probably subtracting for the heavier V8). We must ignore Towing Capacity; by that measure my old Nissan Titan could have towed a 28' SO. I must tell you that the Titan's power train probably wouldn't have shown any strain...

On the Touareg 360-degree tour I see the hitch receiver is not a standard item; it is optional. Take all the optional weights and subtract them from the Payload -- about 150-200# in the case of an SUV hitch receiver and hitch bar. Airstream says the 25' SS hitch weight (w/o options or variable weight) is 750#. Did you get the optional LS package that puts a spare tire right behind the A-frame (weight transferred mostly to the hitch)? You've still got to add weight distributing gear and LP weight all at the hitch. Where we're headed is a true hitch weight of 900-1000# even if you only lightly load personal/kitchen items. You should truly check your tongue weight with the bathroom scale technique pointed out in your manual.

With hitch receiver, hitch bar and at least 900# hitch weight, you have an overall passenger and other gear allowance of about 200# for your Touareg. In practical terms I don't think you're gonna even get close. This info is all over the Forums, most recently at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/tow-vehicle-opinions-wanted-20651-3.html.

Let's be careful out there....!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
It says the Payload for the V6 is 1400# and for the V8 is 1250# (probably subtracting for the heavier V8)....

On the Touareg 360-degree tour I see the hitch receiver is not a standard item; it is optional. Take all the optional weights and subtract them from the Payload -- about 150-200# in the case of an SUV hitch receiver and hitch bar.
Yes, the payload difference is because of the different engines.

The optional hitch receiver crossmember actually replaces the stock bumber crossmember, which was hefty in its own respect. The weight difference would be negligible between the two, maybe 10 lbs. Of course the WD hitch eats into that savings.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Westfalia -- The offered calculations are conservative to a fault and probably not real-world. The hitch receiver & ballmount issue you mention isn't enough to change some basic math. This is a huge step up for a Touareg! I hate to be cynical but a trailer or VW salesperson would try to close the deal anyway. Devoman addressed similar issues in this thread. I don't see a single vote there for going up to a 25' on a Touareg.

Could I see starting the season in undemanding terrain/conditions and a need to make plans for a more substantial tow vehicle? That's Devoman's decision but I wouldn't want to be liable for making that a personal recommendation! This may tow just fine until one changes their mind oh-so-quickly in that last "Oh S***!" moment. Being a 25-footer owner I enjoy the extra space and know there are hazards enough 'out there' even with proper equipment...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Switch

I know going to a bigger Airstream is way different than the Bambi I had previously.The thing is now is what other vehicle do I want to get in the near future.I have plans on getting another vehicle here shortly also and will be looking at the Nissan Armada mostly but I am always open for other vehicles.I figure as much as the Touareg costs I can get a different vehicle at almost half the cost with more pull.(Such as the Nissan Armada.)
The only reason I got what I had gotten was because I had seen and talked to someone about how everything pulled with there vehicle.They said it worked out very well and everything was ok.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Please, oh please, use the 'Search' function. There are ample posts on the Armada. First -- I owned a Nissan Titan until one month ago. The rated Payload (so as not to exceed TV GVWR) for the Titan is as much as 1587# for a 4X2 King Cab (XE trim) and as little as 1198# for a 4X4 Crew Cab (LE trim). The Armada is based on the Titan (as is the Sequoia on the Tundra); these SUV versions have something less in capacity than their pickup truck brothers.

I believe it is a solid statement to say that if one does not exceed the TV payload, it is practically impossible to exceed the GCWR or the Tow Capacity. Do the math in enough combinations and you will see the truth that lies therein. And then one can truly look at their hitch class, weight distribution needs, etc.

Quoting Airstream FAQs,
Quote:
"The towing vehicle’s braking system is rated for operation at GVWR (GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING), NOT at the GCWR (GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT RATING). ... NEVER exceed the GVWR (GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING), or the GAWR (GROSS AXLE WEIGHT RATING) ... as specified for a tow vehicle by its manufacturer. ... Failure to heed any part of this warning could result in loss of control of the motorhome and towed vehicle or trailer and may cause an accident and serious injury."
My point is that tow vehicle GVWR = Empty Curb Weight + rated Payload Weight. The latter number is available -- sometimes at a manufacturer's website, sometimes only deep with the actual vehicle manual. Trust not a tow vehicle or trailer salesperson unless they check out on the math backwards and forwards. Safety does require a proper rated hitch but then demands one apply the remainder of the principles. See How do you make sure you do not exceed your vehicle's GVWR.

I sold my 4X4 King Cab LE Titan because it could not tow a new (heavier) 25-footer with any moderate load in the TV (same math as applied to the Touareg). I also was alarmed early at the tranny temp gauge topping out in WVa towing a sub-4000# empty Argosy -- in 30-degree temperatures no less!

Early on I did suggest weighing your hitch weight contribution to the TV's payload. This isn't about me -- make yourself comfortable. Joe Friday would say, "Just the facts..."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
_

. , .
o' brother where art thou towing?

canoe'stir....

you are like a twice reformed....(drinkin' and smokin') evangalist on this towng issue........

having 'been there' you provide witness to the fully loaded, overcapacitizin' and under hitchitizin' many, who have yet to see the light....

and i'm with you....

and really it's only 'cause you want the devoman and his tribe....movin' safely down the road....

but the force is stong in this one........

ya see he's seen someone else do this.....so it must be ok.

and he's been thinking about this awhile....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/receiver-weight-19734.html?highlight=touareg

looks like he plans to keep the t rex until the warranty is up....and not planning to travel much till fall.

also he's in florida....so if he only goes 45 and avoids traffic.....he can get to the beach a few times....

so there is still time to convert him....before he buys that armageddon...i mean armada....which has a little longer wheel base but about the same towing capacity as the v dub…..once the suv payload is subtracted.

since c/d/f/gm seem to be off the list.....there is still time to suggest the new toyota tundra truck....but he wants an suv....hummmmmmmn....

it's interesting about the touareg, if you believe vw....and i do....it's towing capacity isn't affected by payload....yes that's correct. the tcwr is a little over 14k....and that's the significant figure... and the towing capacity of 7700 is the same with or without the 1200lbs of stuff in the suv...

also the ball/tongue max is they same with or without w/d bars (i have a theory about why)....which is also interesting........but irrelevant since devoman is towing without the w/d bars....unless there's new info....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/25-safari-20739.html?highlight=touareg

praise the touareg and pass the maalox....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #15
_

. , .
for reasons un be knownst to me my first link isn't proper....

here she be properly.......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=touareg

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
One pic

Here is one pic so far.