Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
New here & goin' in head first!

My family and I decided to buy a 25' or a 31'. I'm used to going in head first, but we haven't bought yet. We have been bidding on ebay and it will be anyday now that we are in the pool.

I guess I have a few questions and don't expect them to get fully answered here, but if you have any insight, would be great.

Thinking of buying a lot of land in the florida keys maybe and having this become a vacation home for us. Has anyone done this? Anyone have land for sale? Winters in NJ have become a bit too harsh for us.

We also are considering up north & headed into the wood for something different (we live at the beach already)

Budget would be about 20k all in. We don't need fancy, just functional

Tow vehicle will most likely be a ford excursion or chevy suburban 2500.

We have a tri-fuel generator but would like to buy a unit with a generator already onboard

We'd like to buy one ready to roll. Seems the project fantasies are just that, and never get to be used.

Thanks and looking forward to any answers and any feedback/insight!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I know you say your budget does not run to buying new, nonetheless, I advise you journey to the NW Corner of NJ and visit Colonial Airstream. Just go to their website and you'll figure out why. They have a huge selection of new Airstreams and a reasonable number of newer trade-ins.

Take the time initially to figure out what layout and size make the best long term sense for you. It'll save you buying then upgrading 2 years later (and getting a name like "foiled again" because of it).

If you're determined to buy used, you could ask Colonial to give you a call when they get in a unit that meets your needs. Frankly you might want to increase your budget a bit for a newer one in better condition as it will be road ready instead of a basket case. Read a few "frame off" restoration threads and you'll get an idea of how many people spend $30K and over 2 years to get a vintage airstream road worthy and pretty!

Also there is an Airstream only park IN New Jerseyhttp://jerseyshorehaven.org/index.html

there are usually a few for sale in any park.

Happy hunting, Paula

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I agree with Paula. Look at some of the Airstream Parks. The units available there may also be larger and that may be what you want in the end.

Rather than purchasing land, you might consider parking your Airstream at an Airstream Park in Florida in the winter and then at a similar Airstream Park anywhere from Georgia to New Jersey in the summer- 6 months in Florida and 6 months in parts north.

If you are not going to be on the road all that much I would lean toward a 31' or 34'.

You probably won't find one with a genny. Just get a Honda or Yamaha 3,000 watt genny- quiet and reliable.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
We have a tri-fuel generator but would like to buy a unit with a generator already onboard
Please clarify this statement. Airstream trailers do not come with generators (stock).
Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
No Airstearm trailer comes with nor can have an onboard generator installed w/o some sort of expensive custom work. Usually people use a portable generator.

Land in the Florida Keys...all I know it is expensive and hard to find. I did see one RV park that was only $1200/mo but all others were $1800 to $2400/mo.

Are you going full-time? Snowbird?

I would advise you do some research.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would also advise you to figure out which size and layout Airstream that you want. Until you do, I would stay off ebay and not bid on anything. It is easy to buy an Airstream, not so easy to buy the right one.

Dan