Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this concept of rent-a-ranch campsite by the week?
What would you pay for electrical/water hook-up with provided WIFI/firewood/firepit/picnic table and not having to share campsite? 7 77.78%
What other features besides a horseshoe pit would you really like to see available? 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
New concept in Airstream camping-rent a ranch in NM

Since this is a great venue to float a potential enterprise that I am contemplating on 60 acres that I own in New Mexico....Our concept is to rent to Airstreamers only but with only two campsites...The infrastructure is there for a plug in 30 amp service, an outside electrical plug, and a frost free faucet with good pressure. There is a dump station within 150 feet so is not full hookup but easily accessible. The guest has easy access via gravel road and pull thru gravel sites with a view of a 10000 foot peak in Lincoln County between Roswell, Ruidoso and Lincoln. The beauty is NO immediate neighbors within a quarter mile. so the property is yours to enjoy and would rent it out for a week at a time, so that gives you the opportunity to set-up and explore or just relax. From this base camp at 6000 feet there is wildlife and evening stars to gaze at. From here you can have a number of day trips to visit the UFO's/Sams Club in Roswell, Billy the Kid country in Lincoln, Smokey the Bear in Capitan, Ruidoso where you can gamble, watch a horse race, or golf, with in an hour or go to Carlsbad Caverns or White Sands in 2 plus hours. In addition, my property borders another 200 acres or so of State Land that is rugged but can hike . I realize that is will not appeal to the one or two nighter but more for the camper that wants to hunker down for a week and enjoy privacy and space. Fellow airstreamers your comments..Thanks..Ernesto
ernesto ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Ernesto,
Your property sounds nice.

You may not make much money. You are off the beaten path, it could be difficult to obtain a high occupancy rate. However, some money is better than none.

I find that I can make my black tank last about a week, but the gray tank fills up fast if 2 people take showers every day. Would you allow gray water discharge on your property?

For safety sake, you might want to put in a fire pit and a barbecue grill. For comfort, a picnic table would be nice.

It is also possible that some people would discard trash on your property. It always amazed me how some people can bring in a heavy case of beer but fail to take out the light empties. These same people might also discharge their black water and make a mess.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
I'll add my two cents... if you do this, put in a trash barrel to minimize trash just left around... and maybe a refundable deposit of some sort to guard against folks who might dump black water.
And if you do this, please post it so we can find out about it, and where! sounds like a nice place to spend a week!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I'd have a chat with eubank. From what I gather, running a RV park isn't all rainbows and unicorns. I suspect the legal and tax issues might be formidable.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
Good feeback..

I did fail to mention that i would provid a picnic table and a small firepit plus firewood to add to the ambiance of the experience....plus it bodes well for the airstream happy hour that we all enjoy...Here is a pic from my "Silver Dollar"..34' excella 1994
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris Farewell and March ranch trip to  NM 2009 036.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	79848  
Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Interesting idea. The firewood is always appreciated. There are a couple of places in The Northwest where you can also do something like this. One of them has horses and guided trail rides - long ones. Rugged, remote and very cool.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Why only two camp slots?
Why airstream only? It's business not religion.
Who will maintain semblance of order?
250 to 300 per week would be at outside the most I think you could expect.
times 2 times 20 (estimate of full weeks) would gross you approx 10000 for the season.

Now if you could cater to rallies and reunions etc. And if you had a few real amenities. I mean the view of the far off mount and the dark skies is appealing but how bout some local cowgirl to rub my back, soothe my sunburned lips and point out the constellations and of course to put another log on the fire?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
There is a business here in Washington that does just that. They call themselves " Silver Cotteges". They have 11 vintage Airstreams that they rent out for $950 a week. They are located on one of the Islands in the San Juans.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #9

1976 27' Overlander
Austin & New Orleans , Texas
Ernesto,
I think it's a great idea. I've been toying with that idea for a while-a place outside of Austin Texas. But, I'm still at the dreaming phase. I just bought my first Airstream last week. So, I have a lot to learn. Good luck if you decide to do it! This forum seems very supportive.
NolaDillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Janet, Can you tell me more about these places in Oregon? Thanks, Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Ok i love this idea - just mentioned it in another thread - does anyone know of any private spots in Ontario or Michigan?
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Why only two camp slots?
Why airstream only? It's business not religion.
Who will maintain semblance of order?
250 to 300 per week would be at outside the most I think you could expect.
times 2 times 20 (estimate of full weeks) would gross you approx 10000 for the season.

Now if you could cater to rallies and reunions etc. And if you had a few real amenities. I mean the view of the far off mount and the dark skies is appealing but how bout some local cowgirl to rub my back, soothe my sunburned lips and point out the constellations and of course to put another log on the fire?
Hey..there drummer..I am trying to run a respectable operation...You are going to have to find that cowgirl on your own..Even though the closest watering hole and restuarant is a mere 10 miles or minutes away...The airstream only focus is because these are the type of folks that you wouldnt mind on your property...as they will take care of it like they do their airstreams...The two sites is the biggest draw..Not having to hear your neighbor..do what ever they do..I estimate that there will only be ONE rig at least 90% of the time with the additional company if two rigs are traveling together...thanks for your input
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Talking Boondocking in South Central Colorado...

How far do you think an AS owner would take their coach over an improved but dirt road? I've got 45 acres near Antonito, CO that's great for semi-remote boondocking. I've got a septic tank dump system but you'll need a generator for power and your own water reserves. The county road is dirt for 3.8 miles from the highway - flat terrain but curvey. Nearest neighbor is 3 miles away. Awesome wildlife (antelope, deer, elk) in area and stars are incredible. Flyfishing is only minutes away on the Los Pinos and Chama rivers. Very quiet and a remote feeling without being too far away from civilization - 20 minute drive-time to restaurants and groceries in Antonito. My elevation there is just over 8,300 feet.

If anyone's up for this type of "overnighting", let me know...

I would like to limit it to Airstreamers only...

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
How's the fishing around your 60 acres? I see the Rio Grande is not far away. Any other fishable waters? Sounds promising.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
At that elevation I assume its free of snow from mid-June to mid- Sept.?

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Love 4 Corners.

Ernesto, Art,
Great ideas, small, limited safe ports for the A/S crowd.
A simple notch above courtesy parking, we think it will work.
We'll check with you on our next SW outing, both areas are great.
Stream Safe-
"Cable? We don't need no stinkin' cable!"
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
The upper Rio near the headwaters at Creed, CO are very good - but a longer drive. You can fish in the Rio Grande National Forest which abuts my property to the west. I suggest you call the Conejos River Anglers fly shop which is in Mogote, CO and about 4 miles from my property. They do guided day trips on the Conejos which is also a great river to catch/release football-sized trout.

Very promising!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
Snow conditions near Antonito, CO

John (aka: Relentless),

I can usually count on opening the cabin in mid-April and closing it in mid-December. Last year we closed it earlier, Thanksgiving weekend.

Road conditions vary during the season depending upon severity of afternoon rain - the best months are August/September/October.

Be safe streaming out there!

Art

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I see where you are going with this, but I don't think it will work. I have free parking for Airstreamers consisting of two 30 amp sites with water and a complete bathroom adjacent to the sites. I allow gray water discharge and there is no need for black water discharge with the restroom adjacent. This is all situated on the banks of the Leon river under total shade with tables and good fishing opportunities, especially in the Spring. The only downside is it is accessible only by a 3 mile well maintained county gravel road which can be dusty at times. In fact the photo in my avator is of the site.
My facility has only been used a time or two in spite of being free. I don't think you are going to make any money at this.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
How far do you think an AS owner would take their coach over an improved but dirt road? I've got 45 acres near Antonito, CO that's great for semi-remote boondocking. I've got a septic tank dump system but you'll need a generator for power and your own water reserves. The county road is dirt for 3.8 miles from the highway - flat terrain but curvey. Nearest neighbor is 3 miles away. Awesome wildlife (antelope, deer, elk) in area and stars are incredible. Flyfishing is only minutes away on the Los Pinos and Chama rivers. Very quiet and a remote feeling without being too far away from civilization - 20 minute drive-time to restaurants and groceries in Antonito. My elevation there is just over 8,300 feet.

If anyone's up for this type of "overnighting", let me know...

I would like to limit it to Airstreamers only...
Wanna be my new best buddy

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote