Old 07-07-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
New CCD Models

Went snooping around the Airstream lot over the 4th of July, and saw the newest CCD models. The dealer had the CCD 19', CCD 25', and teh CCD 28" on the lot, along with a few Bambis, safaris and Classics.
The 19 is very similar to the bambi, but has different windows and of course the CCD Interior. It is very bright and airy inside, and has a less cluttered look than the Bambi. Larger windows, additional long oval windows, and the aluminum walls contribute to this, i guess.
My favorite was the 25' CCD. What a cool package. Huge windows, like on the older trailers, 1/8" tempered glass, no frames. Materials and colors were very pleasant, and it sleeps 6, supposedly.
The fron has an L-shaped couch, and there is a side bed, bath like in the Bambi. it also has the off-set rear window. There are 2 storage hatches underneath the bed, to gain access to the space from the outside.
It has the 3-burner stove and microwave, and all sorts of convenient storage cubbies. GVWR 6300lbs
The 28'CCD is similar tot he 25, but features a center bat with separate shower and a rear island bed. It has the dinette on the curb side and 2 giant windows right by it. i did not like the fact that the door will all but cover one of the curb side windows if it is opened.
All 3 had segment protectors and rock guards, finished underbelly, gas bottle covers, spare tire bracket under the front, and the 25 and 28 also had power hitch jacks.
Oh, there was also a 22' CCD, but that has been covered in other posts already. I did not see the 16" CCD.
My wife and I are seriously considering the 25' CCD. It can be had for $ 48000.00, extras included. We're waiting 2 weeks to "cool off" from the initial enthusiasm, then make a final decision. If a new trailer, then this would be the only one we'd like.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Uwe -

Read your thread and went to Airstream.com - no mention of the 25' CCD.

Two questions:

1 - Any word that the 28' might have a streetside dinette option?

2 - Any idea where a 25' floorplan might be seen on the web?

- Thanks, Bert

Old 07-07-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I believe the 25 CCD is just a redecorated Safari 25C six-sleeper, and is on the website under Safari as the 25SS. If so, it has the Bambi (dry) rear bath with the same tiny 18 gallon black tank. The wider body allows for a 52" vs 48" wide rear bed (a standard double is 54").

I also believe it's GVWR is 6300 lbs, which after 45 gallons of water (378 lbs), and 60 lbs of propane, on it's 5220 curb weight, should leave 642 lbs for cargo.

I could be wrong about this, though.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Bert,
I doubt there would be a streetside dinette option. The galley is on the streetside, and the 2 giant windows for teh dinette are on the curb side.
The 25 and 28 have large, 2 door refrigerators, by the way.
There is no literature or web info on the 19 or 25 CCD yet, as far as I know.
I did get a copy of the sticker on the 25, send your fax number and I'll fax it to you tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
From your description, it sounds like my guess on the Safari 25SS is wrong and it's a new trailer.

Does it have the one combined black/grey tank like the 28?

BTW, I really like the curbside dinette on our 34'. Makes it easy for those sitting there to converse and participate with those under the awning.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Moe,
The CCD 25 is definitely not a redecorated Safari. It's basic features are close to the ones of the Classic models, but in the CCD decor. Really, a model of it's own with a very strong identity and full featured.
It has the leveling jacks, porch light, tank covers, stereo, Solar wiring, all the trimmings.
The tanks are smallish, 18gallon black is all I remember. I think the grey was 31 or so. No combination tank on the 25.
There are porcelain toilets in these CCD models. I thought that was sort of neat.
The bath layout is similar to the Bambi, but the sink area next to the bath enclosure is larger. And it's not a wet bath, but rather a compartment with a shower and dry space toilet inside. There are 2 small oval windows side this compartment with a pull down shade. They don't open, though. Ventilation is via a fan powered roof vent of about 4" dia.
I'll check out the sticker to see the weight ratings again. It does have a big list of standard features, only 2 or 3 options, segment protectors and tinted rock guard, I believe. There is a bracket for a spare, but the actual tire/Wheel is optional....go figure.
I loved the curb side dinette on the 28' CCD, if it was not for the fact that the open door covered 70% of the front dinette window.
These are very nice trailers, a welcome change from the hu-hum interiors of the Airstream competition. The interiors are not quite as stark as on the 22' CCD, but still very timeless. These trailers might still be popular in 20years from now. I consider them future collectors items.
Our next favorite was the 22'AS model. They did not have one there, but I remember it well from a previous visit.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
I loved the curb side dinette on the 28' CCD, if it was not for the fact that the open door covered 70% of the front dinette window.
Does the same on mine also. I can't figure out why Airstream still uses suicide doors that open into the wind to get ripped off if moving. For security reasons, the window in front of my door isn't openable (that's an option) so even if they did swap the door swing, I think I'd leave the front window of the dinette a solid unopenable window as well. Oh well...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

So, what do you think the 28' CCD will go for, and does anybody have a feel for how much, (if any), negotiating dealers will do?

Uwe - do you happen to remember whether the fridge was next to the bathroom or next to the front lounge, i.e. left end of galley or right end?

Thanks!

p.s. The suicide door does seem odd, why do they configure them that way?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
darkStar -- The base sticker was $50,525 for the 28 CCD I saw in Vermont at the rally.

The fridge is next to the streetside portion of the bathroom, ie. not the lounge or dinette.

I was very impressed with the 28' CCD! It is a very snazzy design and I believe also a very livable trailer. The polished aluminum inside is defintely cool. There were also some features that suprised me such as a remote battery disconnect relay, a marine-grade monitor system for tanks, LPG, and voltage, lots of interior lighting, and a remote controlled Fantastic Fan in the bedroom.

There was one thing I noticed that was peculiar. The hot water heater is near the front of the trailer and exhausts right underneath an openable streetside window. Do any other Airstreams have a window over the HWH? I wonder if it's safe?

More pics on request
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28ft ccd.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2292  
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
The suicide door does seem odd, why do they configure them that way?
I suspect it is so the door can open 180-degrees without interfering with the Zip Dee awning arms. Our '64 door opens opposite (non-suicide) and if we had a Zip Dee awning we could only open the door 90-degrees. This may not be a issue with longer trailers...but it's a thought.

Shari
Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I don't think that it's a safety issue to have the water heater in this location.
The 28'CCD I saw had a higher sticker price ( 56k$) , and it had gas bottle covers, a neat dual battery compartment, and the spare tire bracket under the front.
It had a blue awning, matching the blue dinette upholstery.
The water heater is located underneath the short section of the L-shaped couch, which means it is very easy to access in case of a problem.
I guess in a perfectly wind-still environment, and under certain draft conditions, the exhaust heat from the water heater might enter the open window, but then that's no different from the cook top heat, no?
I do agree, this is definitely a very comfortable and airy trailer. Not only does it have a very forward design, but also is very user fiendly.
What kept my wife and I from signing a sales contract was the build quality, basically fit and finish. I found it insulting and unacceptable for a trailer in this price range.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
The suicide door does seem odd, why do they configure them that way?
I think its because on most units, the door would interfere with either a window, or an awning support if it opened the other way. just make sure that the door is dead-bolted before you move on out......
Old 07-09-2003, 11:01 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
There should be a cover over the gas bottles, but the cover had blown off and was damaged in transport according to the dealer.

I noticed it had happened to one of the Bambi's, too.

There were only 3 options on this one; wrap protectors, stone guards and the thermostat/vent in the bedroom. The grand total with those options$1080 and $100 destination came to $51,705.

I believe there are workmanship issues/flaws on all Airstreams--the CCD's and Safaris probably have just as many as the Classics and Motorhomes. I was not particularly struck by any on the unit we saw, however, I'm sure if I was getting out my wallet, I would have been looking harder! But, overall, I was impressed with the design and beauty of this unit.

I think the overall value is in the basic construction of an Airstream -- considering the man hours of labor and cost of aluminum for the frame and shell. The resale value of an Airstream is also more akin to a Harley than a Honda. Possibly reflecting perceived prestige, but also long-term durability.

Of course, $50K for a new one is a lot of dough--that's why I own a vintage!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Uwe -

Say more about 'fit and finish' and the kind of things you were 'off put' by.

Also, still curious to know what people have discovered about price negogiations with dealers, if any.