Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
CARSON CITY , Nevada
New CampLite Trailer doesn't pencil out

Livinlite is new to the market and the concept seems to be very good. Their trailers are about 98% aluminum. They'll last a long time, the structure is trouble-free and they're light as heck. On the flipside, they aren't much to look at, though you can have them painted. Dealers are difficult to find, though I've received a price list.

The 16 footer starts at $22,349. That doesn't include a TV, microwave or stereo and speakers. That also doesn't include their "propane package", which includes a furnace, water heater, fridge and range. Unless "range" includes a stove, I don't believe it comes with a stove, even as an option.

It's difficult to say if the A/C is included, because they appear to show A/C as standard and as an option. Both are 13,500 BTU, but the option says "low profile" and costs $1,100. They have some cool options too, such as a tip-out bunk, like a hybrid. The option appears to be very well-built, and it doesn't have to be pushed out, as there will either be a queen bed or dinette that makes into a queen bed. There's also an option for an overhead bunk above the Queen bed or dinette, which to me is a great option. We had it in our Fun Finder (which I've sold).

I don't know if Airstream insulates the flooring on all their new models, but it's extra with a CampLite.

By the time you load this trailer up with items that are generally standard (less a stove, as stated), you're probably into a 16 footer for about 26-27K.

IMO, the CampLite is a great concept and appears to be very well-built. But considering I can buy a new Airstream Sport 22 for 38-40K, I'd much rather have the Airstream. Sure it's another 12K, but it's a far better trailer and the make is more than proven.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
CARSON CITY , Nevada
Update. They provide a stove, not an oven. I had it backwards.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Looks to be very well made, but it's in a different class from Airstreams. Looks more like a very sturdy camper, as opposed to a travel trailer. However, I would be interested in seeing one up close, just out of curiosity.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
New Serro Scotty 16' - $15,000, with pretty much the same equipment. What am I missing here?
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
It might be aluminum and it might be cheap, but an Airstream, Avion, Spartan, Curtis, El Ray, Vagabond it is not. To each his own.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
This is my guess, but I assume an Airstream will tow better than that little box. The tandem axles on their top model would be nice, compared to the single axle on my Minuet or a new 22' Sport, but I'd rather have the aerodynamics of the low-slung Airstream.

I was towing my Argosy yesterday with my minivan and I'm always amazed at how well the rig handles, even at speeds that would get the safety nannies wagging their online fingers at me.

Plus, I'm not devoid of vanity - and that LivinLite just ain't pretty. At all. If I wanted function uber alles, I'd be towing a Trailmanor or Chalet/Aliner all-composite hard-sided pop up.

Their aluminum-floor idea is awesome though - even though Airstream (and my trailer) had it 30+ years ago...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are many manufacturers of aluminum-framed trailers with fiberglass panel exteriors. Livinlite doesn't appear to be doing anything distinctive.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are many manufacturers of aluminum-framed trailers with fiberglass panel exteriors. Livinlite doesn't appear to be doing anything distinctive.
with aluminum floors too?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
CampLite All Aluminum Travel Trailer Overview by LivinLite

Looks like they are light but the aero Airstream is still going to tow much better.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
it would be interesting to see a road test of one of these at speed.

also a sway test.

i wonder if the front cut-back generates any lift?

and changing the dinette/bed back and forth all the time sounds like a real PITA.

just my 2c.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Their website makes them look cheap. One propane tank, held on with a strap?

They don't look bad to me. The recycle thing is a good idea - since many trailers are built for relatively short lifetimes, we should at least be smart about it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote