Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
chicago , Illinois
new bee buying an AS

Just wanted to get some info before i Buy

went to the dealer today in New Lenex by Chicago
does anyone have any experience with this dealer?

Looking at two models

the 23' front bedroom cloud, seems nice anyone own one want to chime in?
It will be only me and my two border collies traveling. The dealer said they
are much harder to resell than the 25' because of their smaller size?

also dealer said most people don't like them with the bathrooms in the bacK because there are no panorama views? I kind of like the bathroom kind of sealed off
away from everything?

Now for the 25' RB cloud at first I really liked the Lshape couch in the front however when you sit on it, it feels like your falling off (i am a skinny dude) also doesn't
seem like a good use of space? I found the dinette area on the 23' a little more comfortable? I do like the extra space of the 25'. I did find out the queen bed is really not a queen bed.

The dealer is expecting a 2013 in a few months is anything new on these?

Finally the air has been let out of my sail after reading all the negative complaints about quality on these forums. would i be better off with a different brand. I have read leaking seems to be a big problem.

echo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Welcome to the forums!
my Airstream is 30 years old and is great! Perfect, no, but very good. you will be hard pressed to find another brand with that kind of lifespan. airstreams have their issues but you will have many years of fun to get you money out of it!

1982 34' Limited
2000 Excursion V10 4x4
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
First off welcome, I have a 19" Bambi and love it but I'm getting closer to moving up to a 23'. Maybe a couple of years. I love the 23' and don't have a problem with the corner bed or bath. The 25' is very nice and maybe someday but for some reason I like the smaller trailers. Does he have a used 25'? Not sure why he said the 23' is hard to resell, do a search and you won't find very many. As for being afraid of build quality, don't be. All campers will have issues but AS is nicer and built better. Do they leak? Yes they can but if you stay on top of it you should be fine. A good used unit is the way to go if your just starting out and you can do a close inspection for leak and any other issues etc. there are lots of happy owners on here but also some that had a lot of issues or expected perfection due to the higher prices. Take your time and buy the AS that best suits you. Good luck!
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome to Airstream forum. Lots of useful information and many answers to your questions.

Take the negative complaints with a grain of salt. Airstreams are at least as good as any other and far better than most. In terms of overall satisfaction over say, 30 years, nothing compares. The difference is Airstreams are always repairable and worth the effort. Our new Airstream is virtually perfect, and the 2007 nearly as good.

This is our second Airstream, the first a 2007 and it was too small. The 25' are the most popular and most likely to be the only Airstream you ever buy. We have the 25 rear bed. The front dinette is usable in many ways, convertible lounge, sofa for extra seating, bed, leave it in the dining mode, put some pillows up against the window, sit back feet up and relax for a movie. Someday we may convert to recliners in that space as many have done. Choice of queen or two single beds in he either font or rear bed models. Very well designed and usable size. Compare the new front and rear bed models before buying.

Don't buy any Rv thinking they don't require repairs, regular inspections and maintenance. They all do and your Airstream will serve you well if you do it from the beginning. Ask questions here on this forum for much good advice, and some folks with the same old negatives.

doug k
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Gotta keep in mind that this is an open forum and human nature is to come to a venue like this and vent about everything bad. Yes I've had issues but I love my 25FB. Don't let your decision be completely made by people's ranting on here. We all get in the heat of the moment when something isn't working and vent it out there for everyone. If everything was as bad as it sounds on here sometimes then none of us would own Airstreams.

Also keep in mind that there's a lot more than just a 2' difference between the 23' and 25'. The 25' is wider and the tanks are quite a bit bigger. I love my 25FB! I love the layout with the couch as dinette in the back looking out all the windows.

Good luck on your decision.
- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
In many places the shorter models are hard to find ... used. Likely because they often require less initial investment...
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Best Value by Far

Well I've been a camper all my life, tent camping, car camping, even a little popup that sat on the back of a small pickup.

I've always wanted a trailer, but what I got is much better--it's an Airstream. They are iconic, durable, repairable, comfortable, and remarkable. I was told that something like 60% of the Airstreams manufactured are still on the road. That says everything you need to know.

I shopped for new, had great discussions with dealers, and learned a lot. In the end, I couldn't part with that much $ just now, and got lucky, finding an (almost) perfect used 25' Classic and have not looked back. No regrets, just a wide smile and the open road.

When shopping for new I was focused on layout, etc. Once I started shopping for used my requirements flexed, and I was rewarded: The Classic is a much better Airstream than I could have afforded new. But it has rear twins, though I'd hoped for a queen. On the other hand it has more easily accessible storage, with the twins it's easier to move around in the bedroom (and stand up if you're tall), get dressed, and it's more versatile when we have guests than the queen would be. I suggest you visit several dealers and look at lots and lots of Airstreams. Attend some rallies if you can. It will all fall into place for you.

Oh, and I was also a bit put off by the complaints but have come to understand that people do tend to vent here, and that maintenance is part of the process of enjoying my Beauty.

Enjoy the search and best of luck to you in your journey,
Aluminitist and proud of it
Scooter241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Trust me,,,

First,, welcome to what my wife calls the "rivet head club",,, ( with love for AS )

I searched for a nice older AS,,, that I could afford for years.. Last year due to pressure of not having a camper,, my wife said get one now.. I picked out a later model 90s tooth pick and staple wonder 5th wheel that had a nice floor plan,, and size.. Looked real good!

Well was I shocked once home when I found out for the past 14 years the AC system was draining its water into the walls of the camper shell since new. Hours of work and fitting fresh wood where dust and piles of rusty staples laid between the walls.. Just to make it road worthy!!!!!

Last January we went to Kansas City to a big RV show to look at all the new campers.. All were the same.. Nice finish,, nice floor plans but after seeing the inside of a "normal made trailer" and my xray vision of how they are being built I got back into the grove of searching for our Airstream..

We found a nice 1972 27' Overlander 3 weeks ago that we could afford,, and even after 100s of hours of work,, I can find no major faults or issues.. Yes a few loose screws,, and a total polish and seal job outside its just about ready for service.. Not once have I spotted any signs of rusty staples, or black piles of rotted wood..

As for leaks, I can say I can't find one spot inside of my 40 year old AS that leaked.. Outside I found many seams, and cracked sealer that should have leaked but no signs inside. It just takes common sense and a 8oz tube of sealer can fix any factory over site,, or 40 years of neglect like mine.. Water runs down hill, and if its a seam or loose rivet ,, just a little dab will do ya.. Not that I will back my AS down a boat ramp,, but I truly feel it would float for a darn long time..

Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote