Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
New AS Damaged in Transit from Factory

Folks,
Would like some advice ease. Just got a call from our salesman to let me know the good news / bad news: trailer arrived today but the person that drove it down from the factory backed into seething and damaged one of the rear panels.

Dealership is wanting to order new panel, drill out the rivets in the affected panel and replace. Says it's just a "push in" I have not seen it yet.

Says there is no structural damage but I am on my way to inspect now. Is there anything in particular that I should check? Have not received photo from the dealership yet or I would post it.

I'm kind of jittery on this. Dropped a lot of coin and do not want to find residual damage on "down the road" on something that we've waited years to afford and buy.

Thoughts? What should I check? Any questions that should be asked?
Any help much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Have they ever done this sort of repair?

Has a frame member been damaged? (can tell if the hit is on a rivit line)
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
That's a tough call. I think at the *least*, I would want an extension on the 2 year warranty against leaks. Also, would want to inspect the area behind the panel to make certain there was no structural damage.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Seriously?

I think my plan would be to say . . ."Look, I ordered a NEW trailer, not a damaged one. So have a different driver take it back to the factory and have THEM do the repair" and then have the dealership extend the warranty on the repairs.

If you are paying the full price for a new Airstream, then I think that should be worth getting a unit that is as sound as it's going to be.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Heck no, in order to do this repair correctly with buck rivets they would have to remove everything from the trailer in that area including the interior skins. They won't do that so they will have to use Olympic rivets which are notorious for leaking.

If the damage isn't substantial it's possible the dent can be pulled out. I would rather have a pulled out, slightly visible area than all those Olympic rivets. Of course at a substantial discounted price.

Even if they assure you an extended warranty, who's to say they'll stand behind it? They could claim you didn't keep up on normal maintainence/rivet sealing.

If I was paying full price, I'd have them ship another.

If you do decide to go ahead, I'd suggest educating yourself and supervising the repair. I once saw a newer trailer with a repaired panel, they actually riveted through the protective plastic and ripped it off at the end. There were little bitty pieces of plastic shreds under all the rivets, Wanna bet they leaked?

Sorry, to hear this.....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tough call. These panels can be replaced properly as mentioned above, remove interior parts and panels to access the inside. If they really know what they are doing it's probably fine. If not, it could cause future leaks or corrosion.

It's not likely Airstream or the dealer can or will give you any extended warranty. It's doubtful you can supervise the repair, but it would be very good to educate yourself on this and then thoroughly inspect the repair before they close up the inside panel.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post

I once saw a newer trailer with a repaired panel, they actually riveted through the protective plastic and ripped it off at the end. There were little bitty pieces of plastic shreds under all the rivets, Wanna bet they leaked?
LOL, that technique of riveting through the protective plastic sheet is what Airstream uses on the interior metal on their new units. I pulled a lot of little plastic film pieces out from under the inside rivets on my 2014 FC 20. But they at least were inside, where they didn't need to worry about leaks.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I would NEVER accept a damaged /repaired trailer. Go check it out and make a note of the serial number. Then have them order you a new trailer, you should get a discount for all your trouble and the new wait time. When the new trailer comes, check it against the serial number you wrote down to see if they are trying to give you the damages/ repaired trailer. If the serial number matches sue them and call Airstream and tell them what your dealer tried to pull.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You are spending a lot of money for an Airstream. Demand a new trailer.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I would not accept the damaged trailer. Insist on a replacement.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Discount - and TAKE it.

Your Airstream - Your choice, but you asked for opinions so here's mine.

I recently had the lower rear roadside panel replaced AT the factory. I paid extra to have the panel removed and repaired properly with bucked rivets. (5 or 6 hours of additional labor). Mine is an Eddie Bauer and I was surprised at how far they had to go removing inside panels - they took out the couch and the roadside dinette to peel back the inside panels far enough. And the WIRING that that had to be redone... tail light, marker lights and an extra scare light that the original owner had added.

It really looks, feels and acts like it looked the day I took delivery. I've almost forgotten how bad the damage was - but it took three days to do it right.

In your place, I wouldn't accept anything except a buck riveted repair, and an extra year warranty (in writing) on anything surrounding that panel as well as the panel itself. As part of the deal I'd insist on a pressure test against leaks.

MAKE NOTE, the dealership WAS honest enough to tell you about the damage rather than just slapping on a new panel and hoping you didn't catch any hint of a repair. Should you get some kind of price rebate (or a s***load of chemicals, light strings, folding stools, patio rug.... ) in return for your inconvenience? Well go for it but don't beat the crap out of them would be my call. The driver had to be insured so the dealership will be reimbursed for the repair.

One question - if this happened one week AFTER you'd bought it .... well would you think it was ruined or would you just assure yourself that the repair had been done beautifully, put it behind you and move forward?

Do you have any idea how many cars delivered to a dealer have spent 2 or 3 hours being carrassed gently by the "paintless dent repair guy" and the buyer never hears a word about the little ding? I stopped in a vacant lot next to a car dealership one morning. At about 7:00 AM I was fixing breakfast when I noticed a man wandering through the cars on the lot. Almost thought of calling the police until I saw that he had a clipboard and a list - worked on 4 new cars and about 9 used ones before the dealership opened.

Murphy's Law - if you insist on a new one from the factory, YOU'LL probably ding it on the way home. Pre-dented, you're golden.

Paula
Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I would hold out for a non damaged unit @ a discounted rate due to the inconvience
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
Only accept a repair of this kind if it is done at the factory...by the factory. They will do it right. The dealer doesn't have the proper tools or understanding of complete manufacturing process to properly repair this kind of damage.

It isn't your trailer until you accept it as yours. Leave the trailer with the present owner (Airstream or the dealer) and order yourself a new one. May be frustrating to wait longer...but better than waiting for repairs in later years. You're paying for a new trailer...demand a NEW trailer. Not one that has been damage and then repaired. That's just silly. Stand your ground. Talk to the president at Airstream if you have to.

Good luck.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would cancel the check. The only way I would take a damaged trailer is to take a substantial discount. If the repairs are not done right, and there is a 90% chance they won't be, then you are in for problems down the road for something that costs as much as a house. Sometimes you have to be an A about it but you have more power than you think. Easier to reject is now than deal with the repercussions later.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
MODERATOR sensitive issue - I think you could get away with mentioning the dealer's name, and asking for positive feedback from members who might have had body work done there. (negatives could PM you).

INSPECT - at the factory they let me go into the shop any time I wanted and watch the repair in progress. There was no plastic on the panel before they riveted it - or they may have peeled it back AS they were riveting, then removed it as they put in the lights, etc. They were meticulous about not creating new holes in the underlying panel or ribs, matching holes from prior rivets. Most impressed by the man that did my work with help from two other techs.

Can you watch the tech(s) doing the repair?

Will they confirm the experience of the tech?

Others say "you ordered new, see that you get it" I see the justice in that too. BUT they did TELL you the truth - that's rare. Consider rewarding it without punishing yourself.... and If you would only feel comfortable by taking it to JC for the repair, get them to pay for the whole trip!

It is quite a haul to JC, and if the dealer or at least the tech working on your unit has many years experience with Airstreams, you can get a "good as factory" job there.

Wishing you a happy beginning with this new Airstream.

Paula
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dealer repair, no way no how! You paid for a new trailer, not a damaged used one. Insist that it be returned to the factory for repairs or replacement and DEMND a substantial discount for your inconvenience. Good luck

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
damage

A couple of months ago, someone used my Airstream for target practice with a BB gun. Some said to go with it as damage was to occur at some point anyhow. I see that dent every day working in my shop with the trailer parked inside. Makes me mad every day. I wonder how you will feel when you look at that repaired area. I would tell them to order another one. Just my opinion. Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Repair done at mothership with a considerable discount/incentive for pain and suffering. This would be my first choice. They were honest, it is gonna get dented and like others have said better get the first good whack out of the way.

Otherwise you are just buying a used damaged trailer in great condition. I wouldn't accept a damaged car if I was buying a new car. Again, I would accept a damaged car if I was buying a used car in great shape at a great price.

My 2 cents... Good luck and either way we support you!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree with Mike. Not sure where your BB dent is, maybe you could hide it with a rivet? I had a dent from a rock and when at the factory they suggested that fix and the dent disappeared. They put a matching rivet on the other side too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Do you want to wait for a new unit ... or have already made plans?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote