Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
MODERATOR sensitive issue - I think you could get away with mentioning the dealer's name, and asking for positive feedback from members who might have had body work done there. (negatives could PM you).

INSPECT - at the factory they let me go into the shop any time I wanted and watch the repair in progress. There was no plastic on the panel before they riveted it - or they may have peeled it back AS they were riveting, then removed it as they put in the lights, etc. They were meticulous about not creating new holes in the underlying panel or ribs, matching holes from prior rivets. Most impressed by the man that did my work with help from two other techs.

Can you watch the tech(s) doing the repair?

Will they confirm the experience of the tech?

Others say "you ordered new, see that you get it" I see the justice in that too. BUT they did TELL you the truth - that's rare. Consider rewarding it without punishing yourself.... and If you would only feel comfortable by taking it to JC for the repair, get them to pay for the whole trip!

It is quite a haul to JC, and if the dealer or at least the tech working on your unit has many years experience with Airstreams, you can get a "good as factory" job there.

Wishing you a happy beginning with this new Airstream.

Paula

Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dealer repair, no way no how! You paid for a new trailer, not a damaged used one. Insist that it be returned to the factory for repairs or replacement and DEMND a substantial discount for your inconvenience. Good luck

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
damage

A couple of months ago, someone used my Airstream for target practice with a BB gun. Some said to go with it as damage was to occur at some point anyhow. I see that dent every day working in my shop with the trailer parked inside. Makes me mad every day. I wonder how you will feel when you look at that repaired area. I would tell them to order another one. Just my opinion. Mike
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Repair done at mothership with a considerable discount/incentive for pain and suffering. This would be my first choice. They were honest, it is gonna get dented and like others have said better get the first good whack out of the way.

Otherwise you are just buying a used damaged trailer in great condition. I wouldn't accept a damaged car if I was buying a new car. Again, I would accept a damaged car if I was buying a used car in great shape at a great price.

My 2 cents... Good luck and either way we support you!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I agree with Mike. Not sure where your BB dent is, maybe you could hide it with a rivet? I had a dent from a rock and when at the factory they suggested that fix and the dent disappeared. They put a matching rivet on the other side too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Do you want to wait for a new unit ... or have already made plans?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I think that you will get a better feel for the problem after looking at the dent. Depending on the severity, you might be wise to accept it as is, at a discount. If you decide that you are not happy with the trailer, suggest to the dealer that he order you another, and that you are not comfortable with a repaired trailer. I strongly suggest that you do not start demanding things. The dealer should be more than happy to get you a new unit. It is not his fault that there is damage, and warranty is provided by the manufacturer, not the dealer. You did not say if you had paid for the unit, but I assume that you put a down payment on it. If all else fails, get your deposit back and buy from another dealer. By being an a** to the dealer will get you nowhere, and in the future you may need his help for repairs etc. Dealers are a lot more helpful to good customers. I've been in retail a long time and honest understanding customers get the top service. Just my thoughts!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"Pain and suffering"....... Seriously??

It is simple,,,, let them repair the trailer... If the repair sucks tell them that you will only accept a new replacement trailer or an order cancelation.

Save your breath on the compensation idea, they are not going to offer more than a token amount.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Duuuude! Score!!!! Take delivery with cash back and money to pay for your first road trip to Mothership!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I would not take it. You paid for a new trailer and that is what you should get. Not a repaired trailer.

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
HiHo, I thought about the rivets. Airstream was even nice enough to send me some of the Olympic rivets to do as you suggest. I didn't want to drill the exterior skin and take a chance of having a leak. Still might. I have some aluminum so I might practice and see how that rivet looks compared to a buck rivet. At least give me something else to look at.
After thinking about this topic for a few minutes, I would still get a new undamaged trailer. I don't mind dents when I personally do them, I really dislike them when other people do them, and I have to live with them. Even if they are covered up. Just my opinion, Mike
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
New trailer.....absolutely. Make sure you compare the VINs between the two to make certain you are getting a new trailer. Dealers have nice smiles......but....
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Duuuude! Score!!!! Take delivery with cash back and money to pay for your first road trip to Mothership!

It does not get any better than that ... demands will get you nowhere. The transport driver's company will likely stand the cost of a trip back to JC if you choose ... or pay for the repair at any other facility of your choice. See what financial incentive the dealer offers for you to keep the one that is now in stock ... decide after you gather ALL of the relevant information and see the actual dent. Everything else is premature.

Since you want a 2015, inventory is very limited and they are not rolling out very fast - to cover all of the dealers needs across the US. However, as a sold unit, you would be given priority in manufacturing. There are always folks who try to nickel and dime the dealer down to the last bit of profit ... not sure where they go for service, but I'd want to stay on an even basis with the dealer from whom I expected service. Period. After all, you are buying a new AS with at least two years of factory authorized warranty.

I am not sure where this very negative attitude towards dealers comes from, but it surfaces frequently on here ... what goes around comes around. We like our dealer and feel that we have been quite fairly treated multiple times ... but then we aren't looking to eke out that last penny or percent of discount on everything either.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Almost ten years ago now, we purchased a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB. That was Old Lucy. Somewhere along the way to the dealer, she had sustained a six inch very shallow crease in the middle of her left side.

The dealer gave us three options:

1. He would replace the entire side panel.

2. He would discount the trailer by $2,000

3. He would install a brand new Hensley Arrow hitch system at no cost to us, which was a $3,000 retail value.

After a lot of soul searching, we went with option #3 as we were considering a Hensley anyway.

We took delivery of Lucy, towed her over 120,000 miles, spent almost 1,400 nights in her, and enjoyed her thoroughly for 8 1/2 years. We always referred this damage as the "Hensley Dent".

Lucy's damage was something that we could live with.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote