Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Carol, Thanks for all the information. Nice to be able to keep up on Airstream News. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
My pleasure Aria, or would that be my obsession? Going camping this weekend and the following week, no rallies just plain ol' camping where we can get away and commune with nature. Two state parks, first Hardwick Pines and then Wilderness State Park, and if that doesn't work there is always Macinac Island to load up the sensory perception and shopping bags. Have a good weekend and let that AS shine in the sun.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
This thread stood out to me about a narrow airstream model. I have a 1981 25' excella 2 that measures only 7' wide. I discovered the difference when I had a window rock guard installed at our local airstream dealer last week, and had to have it adjusted to fit. My trailer was parked next to a 71 international which when measured was a full foot wider. The layout is the same as the 24' Argosy twin bed. The only other person I've spoken with who has an 81 excella says that their's measures 8'. I've thought about calling airstream, and giving them the vin # to see if they can give me any more details about this. Is it possible that I have one of the more narrow European models from this time? Would anyone have any info on these?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great find Carol....looks like there was a shread of truth about the Argosy line making a comeback in some way.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
This thread stood out to me about a narrow airstream model. I have a 1981 25' excella 2 that measures only 7' wide. I discovered the difference when I had a window rock guard installed at our local airstream dealer last week, and had to have it adjusted to fit. My trailer was parked next to a 71 international which when measured was a full foot wider. The layout is the same as the 24' Argosy twin bed. The only other person I've spoken with who has an 81 excella says that their's measures 8'. I've thought about calling airstream, and giving them the vin # to see if they can give me any more details about this. Is it possible that I have one of the more narrow European models from this time? Would anyone have any info on these?

Charlie,
I seem to recall hearing about another one. Does you VIN# have an X in it? I wish I could recall where I heard about the other one. That person also contacted JC and they had no clue about it. IIRC there were a couple of overseas caravans around that time, including one to China.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I still don't understand why Airstream doesn't treat the frame the same as they do for the European models......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Airstream Model/Narrow Airstreams

Greetings Charilie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
There is another thread here on the Forums where this topic came up earlier. I don't believe that a definitive answer has been found, but speculation runs along the lines that these narrower Airstream coaches may have been an attempt to fill the void left when Argosy production ceased (1979). I do know of several reports that the 1980 Caravelle (20', 22', and 24') were of the narrower body design with a floor width of 7'. This would reflect the three lengths of the rather popular Argosy Minuet series (1977-1979) that was 7' wide when the standard coaches were 7' 8". Looking at the weights and measures page at Airstream.com, it appears that the 1980 Excella II (20', 22', and 24') may have been a continuation of the prior year's Caravelle series of lighter weight coaches. It appears in 1982 Airstream dropped these small, lighter coaches in favor of the 27' and up sizes (at least according to the weights and measures page).

I don't have definitive confirmation of anything in the above paragraphs. It is a combination of speculation and educated guesses at this point in time.

As a Minuet owner, I know that I have grown to appreciate its narrower width for weekend outings and shorter trips. It is so easy to tow, even in heavy traffic, that I arrive at my destination as relaxed as if I were driving my Suburban solo.

Hopefully the mystery of these early 1980s narrower Airstreams will be solved in the not too distant future.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Aaron, and Kevin:
Thanks for the ideas about the 81 narrow trailer.
I seem to be able to find more info on the older trailers then I can on the ones made in the 80's. My local dealer didn't have any idea about why I would have a more narrow model, and wanted to cut the rock guard down to fit. Luckily I spoke with Andy from Inland on here who told me not to do this, and that the guard was ply-able enough to fit the unit. I had them install it, and he was correct. After a little bending it fit perfectly. I don't have an X in the vin # if that means anything to the units origin.
Kevin; I think you may be right about the Arogsy theory. The floor plan on my unit is identical to the Argosy 24' plan. I've never been in an Argosy, and didn't know that they were more narrow then other Airstreams of that time. My trailer measures only 24'8" from bumper to hitch ball, and is a little shorter then other 25' models I've seen. It may be that Airstream copied everything from the Argosy model except the skin. I agree with you on the ease of towing. I have an 04 Durango with tow rating of 8900 lbs, and my trailer only weighing 3600 dry. I don't even notice it back there. The hemi does well for fuel economy for a big engine. I'm still adjusting to towing for better mileage, but so far the best mileage I've had while on a trip towing has been 16.1 mpg, which is only a drop of 2mpg from what I can get without towing.
Charlie
Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Looks like Rich Luhr of Airstream Life has spotted the new models at the RV Show in Vegas. Read from his blog here: Tour of America
"A very interesting new product that will be in dealer showrooms this summer is the Safari Sport. Coming out in two lengths, 17 and 22 feet, these little cuties are redesigned completely for much lighter weight and lower cost. How light? Well, the empty weight of the 17 foot model is about 2,800 lbs, which is the lightest trailer in that length that Airstream has sold since 1981! It's so light that even fully loaded it can be pulled by a minivan."

Watch for the Fall issue of ASL for details and pictures.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #24
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Yes Carol-

All the production info and some great photos of the new Safari Sport will be in the fall issue of Airstream Life Magazine. You will see your issue in your mailboxes mid August or at your local big box Book Store. Better yet sign up now for your very own subscription!

Happy roads- J. Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #25
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We are headed to the factory in 2 weeks..will see if we can get some pics &/or pamplets and will post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Airstream had the new trailers in Las Vegas last week. The 17 has a GVWR of around 3500 pounds, a cool little trailer. The 22 is like a rear entry Argosy22, also cool. Ever wonder what an Argosy would look like if it wasn't painted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Las%20Vegas%20Safari%20Sport%20logo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	38875  
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Looks like Rich Luhr of Airstream Life has spotted the new models at the RV Show in Vegas. Read from his blog here: Tour of America
Yes Carole, but we heard it first from you!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #28
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
17' Safari Sport