Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
new airstream - does size matter?

hello, i have been lurking around and considering buying a new AS, close to the 23ft lenght, i do like to have two axels...

so here are all the questions i have, i know a lot has been asked before and i have been reading a lot on this forum, but here they are...

1. how much wiggle room can i expect off MSRP? since its custom build (i don't want amodel off the lot) i could order anywhere...
2. can i pick up at the factory and save delivery charges?
3. i am a little confused about the different models availible, does it come down to what floorplan i like or is there more to each model?
4. i am somewhat enviromently concious (i have solar on my house and drive a CNG car) but i am aware i need a new car/truck for my 23footer - my honda civic won't pull it - i don't mind a pick up truck (would be nice to seat 4) and don't want to spend $60k on the pull vehicle, so what's good for pulling it, i have been looking at the titan... what does one reccomend? price/MPG is important and i will be buying new too...
5. what about the QC issues, you hear the worst and the best... what's true, is it worth the 200% price premium over SOB?
6. from order to delivery (or pickup) how long will it take?
7. how much does one pay for insurance? asuming in the $50k-$60k range

sorry for all those questions, but it is a big purchase and i want to be fully informed and want to know i am makeing the right decision...

thanks for all you help !
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome, hope you find your perfect Airstream!

I'll start the answer ball rolling...
1. how much wiggle room... VARIES A LOT depending on the particular model, the time of year, the dealer, their desperation and your patience. Better deals will be found on prior year models. Choose the model(s) that fit you best, determine your good price, and make an offer but also be prepared to compromise.
2. can I pick up at the factory and save delivery charges? No
3. I am a little confused about the different models -- only you can answer this one, and only after devouring the brochures and floorplans, and then visiting as many examples as you can. You will quickly know if you are more comfortable with International CCD, or Flying Cloud (Safari) line. Make sure to tour as many small Airstreams as you can.
4. I have been looking at the titan... We tow our 22' with a Titan, many others also use it a tow vehicle for the smaller trailers.
5. what about the QC issues... We've had issues, many were fixed during the 2 year warranty period. I would only trade our Airstream for another Airstream. Only you can really answer this question.
6. how long will it take? Talk with dealers concerning delivery, but once you decide upon a model, interior color and options, do not overlook dealer inventory as they might offer better deals.
7. how much does one pay for insurance? Your insurance company can give you an estimate. Prices vary depending on residence, driving record, and other policies. Count on only a fraction of your car insurance, however.

Good luck,
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
A lot of "It Depends..." Answers

Here are some more general answers to a couple questions...

1. If you're ordering a custom configured new one, assume dealer markup is ~20% of MSRP, and you might get an internet-focused dealer to give up 3/4 of that.. Prices drop and discounts rise as units sit in inventory on lots and financing charges mount.
2. Factory doesn't handle retail deliveries. Must take through dealer..
3. Double axle have plusses, but interior all about floorplan and taste for trim.. Be wary of climbover double beds marketed as "Queen's" and bathrooms where door won't close without interference fit on knees when seated.. You have to get comfy with one of the designs..
4. If tow vehicle won't be daily driver/commute vehicle, then consider alternate environmental deal and look at late model used vehicles, like Chevy Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban or Ford Expeditions. Beefier than Titan, and 3 to 4 year old models can be had for way less than $20K loaded with low mileage.. We have Ford Excursion (big big jumbo-wagon) that seats 8 and gets only 11 mpg towing our 25, but when not towing, it rests under cover and relaxes. After paying only $17K, we can afford a lot of slightly more frequent fill-ups...
5. It is worth price premium.. Whether 200% is your call, but many of white box "stick & tin" trailers will be dead in 8-10 years.. Airstreams pretty much keep going as long as owners put some effort into maintenance.. Since factory increased production by 50% in late 90's, "Fit & Finish" not really up to Lexus or Mercedes standards, but with some patience and a little handy work, you should be happy..
6. Factory shutdown and backlog are impacting lead times, but assuming you do order one from scratch, best likely turnaround is 7 to 8 weeks.. They'll acknowledge "start date" for production soon after order.. Picking dealer nearby may reduce lead time and lower transport cost...
7. Add on for insurance is likely to be in range of several hundred $$ if added to multi-vehicle contract, for liability/collision and comp.. Could approach $1K. Be sure to understand replacement and repair fine print in policy.. Some will only take to local RV repair joint, and pay "depreciated book value" for total loss, others would pay replacement cost and authorize repairs at Airstream factory.. That will explain much of differences in quotes.. You want replacement and factory-level repair for body damage..

Good luck, and remember your mileage may vary.. What you get here are personal opinions at least as often as verifiable facts and hard data..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
thanks folks, some good anwers already!... i think i narrowed down my choice to a flying cloud 23 (yes no FB), it'll be my nice getaway bachelour pad !

not sure yet what tow vehicle (maybe a silverado ?) and also not sure yet how to finance, yes opinions are split about financing... i could pay cash but i'd rather not...

thanks for all the input!
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
I just bought a new Titan for towing my 25' CCD. They have $5000 factory rebate for 09's. With over 9000 lbs. of towing capacity, 23" Flying Cloud should be no problem. Gas mileage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 13/17 mpg.

2009 Airstream 25' International CCD
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote