Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The senior safe driving classes are good too. They help to remind you of traffic laws, the perspective of law enforcement, and improves your perspective on the importance of driving with an attentive style, even when driving the TV solo. We can all use a refresher now and then. That extra ten percent can make all the difference. It's even better when multiplied by two. Not so sure about four, though. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
That’s funny😀
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
You will be fine. Practice turning in a wide open parking lot and watch where the trailer tires go during differing turns. My sweet wife is better driver than I and has full confidence pulling a triple axle. Downtown Boston, all over Canada, most national parks. Never with any real issues. With ours, campsite size is a little more of an issue than with a 31, but i don't think we have ever been unable to get into some site and most times with no issues at all.No nightmares.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Lots of good advice here so I won't repeat. My wife frequently tows our 30' with our crew cab diesel truck. Always, one of you ground guide when backing up. I found out the hard way.
I don't try to stay in National Parks. Stay at a RV park and day trip in. The exception is Grand Canyon's Trailer Village. They have easy access pull through sites.
Slow down on rough roads and have a great time.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
We have a 30’ towing with a 1 ton crew cab with long bed. Usually my husband tows but I want to make sure I can tow as well if need be. Started last November and towed it several times including down and up curvy roads. It really isn’t hard once you get over your initial anxiety. With a 1 ton I can’t even tell I’m towing. I have not been brave enough to back the AS in yet but it will be my next step. What hels us is a supplemental 80 gallon tank. I highly recommend it if you have a diesel. We never have to fuel up with the AS attached and skip the gas station anxiety.
tschambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
It's a girl my lord...

My wife driving thru Winslow, AZ. As with any of life's endeavors... practice, practice, practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	337397  
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hey, in our family she's the one with mad backing-up-a-trailer skills. The wife is so good at it that I don't even try anymore, most times. I just walk around outside offering directions as needed. You can do it too!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
New Truck

My wife and the salesman said eco boost and 150 is the way to go. First trip out
She said I screwed up we should have got the 3/4 ton Diesel

Just brought it home we’re both broke but smiling. What a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
My wife tows our 30’ serenity with our 3/4 ton diesel. Total train is 54' long.

She has towed in some really tough conditions and didn't break a sweat - like over the continental divide in heavy traffic with a torrential downpour, across the sierra nevada mountains late at night with steep declines and twisty roads in the rain. No problem!

Tow vehicle makes a dig difference for her (and me frankly). She didn't like towing our 30' trailer with our 1/2 ton SUV - it just wasn't as confident as with the bigger truck we have now, with heavier weight up front, much better power plant and longer wheelbase.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Tail Swing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Getting in and out of gas stations can be a challenge with a 30’. Make sure before you pull in that you have room to get out. The tail swing will be greater so you need lots of distance after the pump island before you start your turn when pulling away.
Yes! This can also be an issue turning in city streets. Like if you are making a right turn from the right turn lane you may have a tendency to crowd to the left a bit which is fine unless there something in the lane over crowding to the right in that lane or maybe a big truck which will use the whole lane anyway. Make sure you pull straight ahead enough before you start turning. If you are not sure at a tight turn, wait for the lane over to somewhat clear. Let the horns blow! It is probably 10 to 12 feet from the center of the axles (the pivot point) to the rear of the AS. It will swing into the next lane in a tight turn. Maybe find an empty parking lot and practice a couple turns. Also, there have been a couple posts here on some “mystery dents” on the rear corners of their AS and I believe this is how they got there.

Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #30

2019 30' Flying Cloud
West Chester , Pennsylvania
I’m a woman who travels alone consistently. Going to drive my Flying Cloud 30FBB alone on Thursday to Florida.

It’s not a big deal. I don’t like pulling up to the gas pump at all but other than that it’s not harder than say a 20’ or 15’ trailer. Pulling anything requires you to be attentive but once I’m on the road it’s second nature. Also, because of her profile, she glides along. Most days I forget she’s there?
Teachertok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
You can do it! Take a deep breath, take your time and practice when you have the chance.

A day or two just to practice and pull around open space or parking lots. Around here the college or the industrial parks on weekends work great with very little traffic. Back up, park, turn...whatever you need to do.

Then try a close to home jaunt. We like to stay less than an hour away, but brave souls can go farther. Know where the Walmart is, how far to the nearest dealer and be sure you could last the stay if everything failed. It probably won’t fail, but success is paramount. We’ve needed RV batteries, a laundrmat, a coffee pot and time away from the RV on the first trip.

And with success tucked into your bag of tricks, you are ready to hit the road!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #32
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Crossing the George Washington bridge with a 34’ Excella, into Manhattan. Not for the faint of heart...
Seriously, the longer the trailer the easier the pull. Just remember to corner wide!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46BCB0FA-6346-4677-A486-0AC4F10B0D12.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	337440  
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
One other area can make the experience better, plan simpler drives.

My wife and I get up in the morning eat breakfast, break camp and then make lunch. Why?

The biggest issue we've had and the most frustrating is pulling off the freeway to a lunch destination and discover no way to get into the restaurant. We then go by the restaurant looking for another. By the time we get turned around and back on the road, we've waisted an hour and a half.

Pack your lunch! It will save you time, money and frustration.

Also, fill up the truck with fuel before you hook up to leave. Get Ice, groceries, and whatever you need before you put the trailer on the ball.

We also use Google maps satellite views to see temporary places to park if we need to go to a grocery store or stop.

You will learn all these things just by getting out there and traveling, just don't bneat yourself up or your partner over a missed turn.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
It's not the 31' AS that concerns me; it's the Ford Excursion that we use to tow it. I'm 5'3" (my husband is 6'4"). I have a huge blind spot to my back right - which he doesn't have - and once heard a very loud honk when I was merging right and almost plowed over someone. Have not been able to figure out an extended mirror situation that helps.

So, that's the only reason I don't do the driving.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #35
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
It's not the 31' AS that concerns me; it's the Ford Excursion that we use to tow it. I'm 5'3" (my husband is 6'4"). I have a huge blind spot to my back right - which he doesn't have - and once heard a very loud honk when I was merging right and almost plowed over someone. Have not been able to figure out an extended mirror situation that helps.

Have you considered adding permanent fender mirrors? There are lots of styles to choose from.

Name:	Fender Mirror.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	337452

eTrailer even had removable models.

Name:	Removable Fender Mirror.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	337459
Old 04-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post

Totally understandable.

Does the trailer have a rear camera? We have the Voyager wireless camera and it’s really great while driving because you can see who is railing up on you or beginning to pass you on the left or right. We have big mirrors too but the camera is tremendous for opening up a lot of blind spots.

Another general recommendation is to consider RV Safe Driver training. A local CDL center might have an option, if you live near some Escapees locations they do it - my wife and I did the first weekend we had our 27’ AS and it was a great investment for us!

No one is born knowing how to do this so with training and practice, it starts to feel like second nature. In fact, I have to head to the storage yard now to bring he trailer home and get it ready for the season - can’t WAIT to hitch up and drive the puppy!! [emoji3]

Good luck and happy camping.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Wife is 5-2 and Husband is 6-4, but we have no blind spot. It's the mirrors. It's the navigator. It's the driver's tactics. Improve the mirrors and change them when you change drivers. Practice using visual inputs from both driver and navigator. There is also a series of tactics that help these circumstances. If you pass a car, you can track it until it is behind the trailer and then move over. You can drop back from other vehicles until you have none near you. You can change lanes long before you need to, so traffic does not block you.

One scare should not put you off, but it is appropriate to take away the lesson of never changing lanes into a blind spot. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Battle Ground , Washington
Thank you to everyone who responded and gave such great advice and tips. I really appreciate it. Next week she arrives and we are beyond excited. So much more room and storage! I think once I back it up well and on target, I’ll be good. Unfortunately Dallas drivers are among the worst in the nation, so it’s the inattentive and distracted drivers on their phones texting I need to worry about.
forestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote