Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Needed and wanted a comfortable, spacious coach...

Some of you have less interest in the spaciousness inside your coach... you just want a compact unit that can tuck into tiny spaces. This thread may not be for you.

Others of us spend a good bit of time in our coaches, where seating comfort and some degree of spaciousness (where possible in trailers as tight as Airstreams are) is a big priority.

My wife and I just downsized from a 44' diesel pusher Class A motorhome. It was a palace on wheels and we LOVED it. But we have transitioned to spending more time at home and less time traveling the country, so we decided a towable made more sense.

But we didn't want to give up quality materials and surroundings. We didn't want to give up any comforts either. Comforts meaning great comfort while sitting in the coach and sleeping in the bed.

I quickly realized that if I had the same great recliners and mattress (though queen, rather than the king that was in the Class A) in an Airstream, that I had in the 44' Class A, we would be just as comfortable while sitting, reclining, napping, sleeping, whatever in an Airstream as we were in the big rig.

So: recliners, a must. Awesome mattress, a must. Dinette, don't want to give up that space, used not just for sitting at, but also as a staging area for load-in, bringing in groceries, complex meal prep, whatever. Adding that up, I quickly realized that the 30' Serenity with recliner floorplan would be THE Airstream that worked for our needs.

Being 30' means that we can't squeeze into the smallest park campground sites out there, but being 14' shorter than our Class A was, we can now fit into a heck of a lot of cool, smaller sites that we would never dream of even getting near with our Class A. And we can have the creature comforts we had before... just a LOT less floor space.

Which brings me to the beauty of the 30' recliner floorpan for our needs, which includes traveling with our beloved, 100# Golden Lab Retriever. He needs a dedicated space in the coach for his bed and comfort, without being in the middle of the narrow aisle in an Airstream.

There was only one way we could make this all work in an Airstream. 30' Serenity, recliner floorpan, our own selected recliners, and removal of one of the two dinette bench seats.

It has worked out perfectly and we are so happy that we were able to make it all come together just as we needed it to be.

Some pics of what we've put together:

Swivels on the recliners make viewing out at all angles easy, and comfortable:

This little fold-out table has been surprisingly handy to have! Almost deleted it from our custom order, but very glad now that I didn't.

We rarely open it all the way, but it's an option:

We like it better 1/2 open:

Perfect spot for our beloved pup, 11 happy years old, is where one of the bench dinette seats once was. He's very comfortable there, has a great feeding station, and is out of the traffic pattern through the coach!

Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Why the Serenity, specifically? Reasons largely related to the no-slides, confined nature of an Airstream:

1) We love the white-wash woodwork. It is so clean, bright, and beautiful. Makes the space feel bigger than it really is, even with no slides.

2) The 30' International differs from the 30' Flying Cloud by having three Vista View windows over the dinette and lounge area, rather than cabinets and just a single Vista View window. For this reason, the International feels MUCH more open and much brighter inside. The Flying Cloud feels more closed in by the cabinets, less spacious, and not as bright. We loved the look of the cabinets in the FC, but in a trailer as tight as an Airstream, we wanted to maximize the feeling of spaciousness and brilliance of light and the Serenity is the model that does just that.

View from my reclined position:

30' with two AC units also includes two skylights and a Fantastic Fan portal. This is the lightest, brightest RV interior I've ever seen!

We most often use the dinette as a staging area when bringing things into the coach (groceries, load-in, etc.), sorting things out, preparing more complicated meals, and also as a beverage station when in camp:

Other people will have different priorities than we have and would make different choices. But for those looking for great comfort and floorspace versatility, I thought seeing what we did might be useful.

Couldn't be happier with truck and trailer!

Happy Airstreaming! See you on the road!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Its beautiful, open and airy. Nice job, good choices.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Love your rig. Looks very comfortable.
Do you need to secure the recliners when traveling or do they stay in place?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for your comments, mayo and first wave.

Some Airstreamers like to think of themselves as "camping" and the RV aspect of these rigs is minimized as much as possible.

As a retired couple, my wife and I are far beyond thinking we're "camping" anymore.

We are "RVing" and have no misunderstandings, nor misgivings about that!

We do appreciate RVing in beautiful places, however, rather than doing so in the middle of an asphalt jungle heavily populated with monster 5th wheels and diesel pushers. So, for us, while we do focus on the RV amenities quite a bit, at the same time, we look to RV in beautiful spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwave View Post
Love your rig. Looks very comfortable.
Do you need to secure the recliners when traveling or do they stay in place?
As for the recliners... no, they don't move at all while going down the road. They stay put perfectly, whether on the vinyl floor or on the berber rug we just put in the coach.

We found that the vinyl flooring in the coach was thin and soft. It seems like it could be easily damaged. We got the berber to protect the vinyl floor from moving the recliners around. It works a charm at that. And we like how it looks.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Really appreciate you posting all the images.

I see a 30' Serenity with twins in my future.

Go big or stay home they say.

Beautiful Airstream!!

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Really appreciate you posting all the images.

I see a 30' Serenity with twins in my future.

Go big or stay home they say.

Beautiful Airstream!!

Dan
You are welcome... glad to share them.

We were at a point where if we could not make the recliner option work, we would have, reluctantly, gone with a different trailer. Fortunately, we didn't have to choose something else! (Probably would have been an Arctic Fox.)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
I'm impressed with all that you've done! And also very curious as to how you constructed the fold-out table. We have a 1999 Land Yacht Motor Home 30', and while not a trailer, our dinette table is small. We've talked about building some sort of an extension, your idea just fits. So, description or sketches or detailed pics would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprose View Post
I'm impressed with all that you've done! And also very curious as to how you constructed the fold-out table. We have a 1999 Land Yacht Motor Home 30', and while not a trailer, our dinette table is small. We've talked about building some sort of an extension, your idea just fits. So, description or sketches or detailed pics would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike... thank you!

However, I can't take any credit for the fold out table. It is not my idea. But it is beautifully constructed and a fine quality component in the coach!

It was standard equipment with Airstream's 30' "recliner" floorplan. We custom ordered the recliner floorplan, but without wanting the recliners themselves. We much preferred recliners that we have sourced ourselves and know well from previous experience.

There is a good chance you might be able to order the fold out table from Airstream! I would inquire about that, if interested.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Those recliners look great. I am going to pull the leather couch out and replace with recliners similar to yours. Of course, I am working with a 19'er Bambi and will have less choices. As far as we are concerned, although the couch is in perfect condition, it's worthless. Sure would like to see the results in a smaller trailer. She is a definite asset to the breed. Thanks for providing pictures.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
Those recliners look great. I am going to pull the leather couch out and replace with recliners similar to yours. Of course, I am working with a 19'er Bambi and will have less choices. As far as we are concerned, although the couch is in perfect condition, it's worthless. Sure would like to see the results in a smaller trailer. She is a definite asset to the breed. Thanks for providing pictures.
Thank you for your comments, mocus. I completely understand the desire to go with recliners. One caveat... just in case you haven't considered, there may be equipment located under the sofa that may need to be boxed-in, or relocated to a central cabinet. With our coach, the inverter and some other electrical components are housed in the central cabinet that is between the recliners... a good spot to house utilities that can't really go anywhere else - allowing a free and clear floorspace!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
We have the 2014 FC with the Recliner option. The cool thing is we take one recliner out for our 80 lb companion when traveling. I thought I just heard the recliner option is no longer available in the 216 , hope someone can correct me. Your Serenity looks like the sweet spot for you, especially leaving a 44 ft diesel.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Go to this link and download the International Parts Manual:

Manuals, Airstream Travel Trailers, Touring Coaches | Airstream

Go to page IV-437 to see the design of the table and it's parts listing.

Our 2014 31' Classic has a single lift table cabinet curb side beside the sofa and entrance door that also stores the two ZipDee chairs that were included with that trim line. It also has the double lift table top like in the International on the street side.

To bad those two tables do not show up in the 2015+ Classic models.

Dhart's modifications to his Serenity are well done.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I like the look of the recliners but we will have to wait many years for that change. For now we use the goucho as a sleeping area and we all can watch tv there on a rainy day. For now it works. Recliners will be in the future.
The open and bright floor plan in your trailer looks very inviting but for us that would be too much sacrifice of storage space both above and below the dinette. Our floorplan is the same as yours though narrower (1994).
Where in the world do you store your food, pots/pans, left over dishes, toaster etc......

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote