Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I like the look of the recliners but we will have to wait many years for that change. For now we use the goucho as a sleeping area and we all can watch tv there on a rainy day. For now it works. Recliners will be in the future.
The open and bright floor plan in your trailer looks very inviting but for us that would be too much sacrifice of storage space both above and below the dinette. Our floorplan is the same as yours though narrower (1994).
Where in the world do you store your food, pots/pans, left over dishes, toaster etc......
crispyboy... storage in the overhead bins above the kitchen and we have an ample sized hall storage closet which we equipped with a chest of drawers (got the idea from a member of the forum here) and various container units to store some of the items from the kitchen and other misc. items. The hall store room is fantastic. We don't need the hall closet for clothes, as the bedroom has ample storage for clothing.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
crispyboy.... storage areas that we use for kitchen-type stuff & miscellany

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
DHart,
Thanks for posting those storage photos. May I ask, how did you attach the rack of metal drawers (looks like IKEA) in the closet? To the wall? Floor? Looking for the best approach to securing this helpful mod.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
DHart,
Thanks for posting those storage photos. May I ask, how did you attach the rack of metal drawers (looks like IKEA) in the closet? To the wall? Floor? Looking for the best approach to securing this helpful mod.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe... I haven't attached it yet. I think what I will do is secure a few small gauge nylon cords from the top of the drawer unit to the underside of the top shelf - or to the ribbed bar. And perhaps a couple of small straps screwed down into the floor. We won't be putting a lot of weight in the drawers, especially not in the upper drawers, so I think that will be enough to keep the unit in place. Fortunately, Airstream does not use particle board anywhere in the coach. The plywood should provide a pretty good hold.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I had the couch out last year when I installed new tile. Only thing to move out is the dry camping water tank (never use and doubt if we will). Have to put the wiring in some type enclosure, a small amount of plumbing reroute, and that's it (I think). Going to take couch out again because wife found another flooring she likes better and will be able to see what has to be done. I am not any good trying to "imagine" if it would fit or not. I just had surgery on my south side and have to take it easy for a while--no choice. I had back surgery a few months ago, wife had back surgery last month, then my "south" side cut on last week. I think every thing I've got has been cut on, removed or replaced by now. Hope so anyway.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
DHart,
The closet racks seem like a good solution for the space lost overhead, under the dinette and end table.
Do you still have a place to hang coats, ponchos, pants and collared shirts? I went back and looked at your pictures at the beginning of the thread. Is there room on each side of the bed?
I see that Airstream has built a narrow pantry area next to the stove. That a good idea!
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
DHart,
The closet racks seem like a good solution for the space lost overhead, under the dinette and end table.
Do you still have a place to hang coats, ponchos, pants and collared shirts? I went back and looked at your pictures at the beginning of the thread. Is there room on each side of the bed?
I see that Airstream has built a narrow pantry area next to the stove. That a good idea!
Yes. Go back and look at the bedroom pics. Lots of storage high and low on each side of the bed. And under the bed. We don't need to take a huge wardrobe full of clothes when we travel.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Looks great, I think customizing is the key to each persons individual comforts.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Looks great, I think customizing is the key to each persons individual comforts.
Thanks, Bold. Yes, I totally agree. It would be prohibitive for AS to build coaches for every different personal need that we owners have. Sometimes you just need to dive in, request as much customization as AS will allow, and then take things to your personal nth degree after delivery.

I do, however, think it was short-sighted to eliminate the recliner floorpans for 2016. Of course, people will likely be able to custom order recliner option Airstreams, but at a $2500 premium, vs. being a standard production offering.

Recliners certainly aren't for everyone, especially those who need sofa sleepers for kids, etc. But for those of us who subscribe to the "6-4-2" program (6 for drinks, 4 for dinner, 2 for sleeping), the recliner option offers exceptional sitting and reclining comfort in the coach. While this wouldn't work for most families, we, personally, for our needs, we wouldn't have an Airstream any other way.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
After seeing two 30' Serenitys yesterday, we are sold. It's by far the nicest Airstream we have been in. Couldn't believe how roomy it felt with window blinds and sky lights opened up. At 6'6" 320 lbs, that's a big issue for me. We saw an Airforum members unit and then a good bit of time in one at nearby dealer. Ordering a 30' Serenity with twins when time comes.

Love what you did with the wardrobe.

Ally pack canoe would look better though

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
After seeing two 30' Serenitys yesterday, we are sold. It's by far the nicest Airstream we have been in. Couldn't believe how roomy it felt with window blinds and sky lights opened up. At 6'6" 320 lbs, that's a big issue for me. We saw an Airforum members unit and then a good bit of time in one at nearby dealer. Ordering a 30' Serenity with twins when time comes.

Love what you did with the wardrobe.

Ally pack canoe would look better though

Dan
Dan... we are RVers who spend a good portion of our time, when traveling on the road, inside the coach. So, given that there are no slides and we are transitioning from a 44' diesel pusher with massive open floor space, having a bright, open, spacious feel in the Airstream is very important to us. And you're right, the 30' Serenity is Airstream's most open, most spacious-feeling, brightest coach.

A trailer with no slides can feel very confining, but combining all the windows in the Serenity 30' (including 3 Vista Views) along with bright white woodwork, two skylights, a Fantastic Fan roof-port, and an open wall area above the dinette... Airstream has produced a very bright, open-feeling coach.

Still pondering the ideal inflatable boat for us.. thanks for your help as we navigate those waters!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

^^^ Joking of course. We are actually talking about buying a second one. Adult in back of each, with a kid in front. Dog in lightest canoe. We could, and likely would, store both canoes in the wardrobe.

I appreciate the space as much as you, but for different reasons. I was so pleasantly surprised by the open feeling in the Serenity. What a breath of fresh air. Prior to seeing the 30' Serenity we had only been in 27' FC and 28' signature. What a difference. Excited to imagine what the open bedroom floor with twins, along with dual pano windows would contribute.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
I appreciate the space as much as you, but for different reasons. I was so pleasantly surprised by the open feeling in the Serenity. What a breath of fresh air. Prior to seeing the 30' Serenity we had only been in 27' FC and 28' signature. What a difference. Excited to imagine what the open bedroom floor with twins, along with dual pano windows would contribute.

Dan
When are you guys planning to "pull the trigger?"
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Hard to say with certainty, but this winter is our hope. We are not financing so it's a matter of lining up some ducks. Some we have more immediate control over than others.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall