Old 02-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Mint Hill , North Carolina
Need Slide-Out Opinions!

We're thinking of trading up to an Airstream trailer with a slide-out, and I would be very thankful for anyone with one of these to report about reliability, leaking, and general wonderfulness.

We're looking at the 30' with the dining slide-out. Moving up from a 25' Excella.

Thanks....

WBCCI 7231
rickdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Rick,

Be aware that there were some changes made in the slide outs to prevent leakage. I was up at Jackson Center in August 2001 where they were doing a retrofit to a A/S with a slide out. The owner noted that he was told that his retrofit was equivalent to what was being done on current build trailers. As a matter of fact they pulled one of the guys from the factory who was more aquainted with the slide out to perform the upgrade. I remember they had to pull cabinets out and the whole process was pretty time consuming. Good thing for him it was under warranty. I have no information as to when or how important this modification is. I do know that the fellow had problems with a leak.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question

Jack,
We musta been there around the same time..
I saw one there as well and, took some pictures.
The owner, in question was from VA, and..
his problem was, the slid-out didn't retract properly.
Could it be we're talking abt two different people?
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think we must have been talking to different folks since my guy said he had a leak in his. He was pretty unhappy about it too since the trailer couldn't have been more than a year old.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Maybe it's from working in RVs and seeing broken, leaking ones, but I don't like slide-outs. Especially when you have a wide-body trailer already.

Let's look at the 30 vs 30S0. The slide-out gets you a little more floorspace, but they take up some of that by tilting the sink. You pick up a microwave cabinet, where the typical 13" TV will be a LONG way from the couch, at the loss of the end table, where the TV would be a lot closer, and the utility of the big fold-out table.

For that little bit of floorspace and microwave cabinet, you get a 770 lb heavier trailer... at 8,000 lbs UVW, almost as heavy as a 34'10".

But the GVWR only goes up 400 lbs, so you lose 370 lbs of payload capacity (GVWR-UVW)... and cargo capacity is only 536 lbs after adding a tank of water, 60 lbs of propane and a couple of batteries... 150 lbs less than a 25' has.

And look what happens to the tongue weight, another 295 lbs to 1025 dry, putting it 205 lbs heavier than the 34'10"!

To each his own, but I see many more cons than pros.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #6
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Slide out advice

I know what you mean about the TV position. I had noticed that in the floor plans. Not only is the TV farther away but on top of that Microwave you have to use a small TV.

I think I may fall back on my own advice as a house designer when folks ask me about skylights. It's a HOLE in the roof. Maybe it's not a good idea to put a hole in the roof on purpose.

Maybe it's not a good idea to build a nice, sealed-up aluminum trailer and then cut a big rectangular hole in the side.
WBCCI 7231
Old 02-13-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

slide outs

My wife and I looked a long time for just the right RV for us. We had always wanted an Airstream but with the current trend toward fifth wheels and monstrous floor plans with slide outs and all we nearly fell into purchase overload.
We debated the 30ft Excella slide out model and then after considering how we would be using our unit, decided and the traditional style for several reasons.
We like to travel and not always were we able to get a site in a RV park. We have slept in rest areas, truck stops, day use parks and of course, in a Wal Mart parking lot (like so many other travelers). We knew we would be doing this so we decided that having a slide out would "give away" the fact that we were spending more than the alotted time in for example a rest area or day use spot. With our unit we do not draw attention to whether we are in the bathroom at the stop or inside the AS fast asleep.
We also recognize that no matter how well the rubber seals are supposed to work and not matter how well they are supposed to seal out the wind, water and cold temperatures there will be those days and occasions when those seals will "fail to keep out the elements". And then there is the weight consideration as well as the cost; We simply felt that for these reasons we could not be sold on the slide out feature. Not on the AS or any other RV for that matter.
Of course you may have other reasons and other plans which make all my statements irrevelant. That is why these units exit.
Dick
Old 02-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

A fulltiming couple near me bought a new Class A the end of last yr. They have 2 slide-outs (bedroom/living room) and just brought it back in today for the 3rd different problem with their slides.

1st was a water leak, 2nd it won't retrack all the way back in & 3rd another water leak.

They love the added room, but now they're forced to install window awings on both slides as a preventive measure.

John
Old 02-14-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
First Look-28'Slide-out

Yesterday I saw the new 28' Safari Slide-out at the Mn RV show. My thoughts are these...

The slide out does add more room, but only marginally due to the configuration of the sink jutting out into the floor space.

You lose all of the storage cabinet space over the dinette AND below each dinette seat. This is a big loss of storage.

The wardrobes are rather small, in part due to the microwave placement.

With the slide in (travel mode) there is very little room in the center aisle, as when you stop for a break on the road for lunch, etc.

The interior fit and finish was not all that great and the bathroon medicine cabinet hardware was flat out cheap. The interior is in the new light oak with more Euro styling and rounded corners.

There is a lot of "linoleum" type flooring in the entry and galley area that I wasn't crazy about, but it is practical and I was told by my colleague that it is high quality stuff.

Marked price was $52,000.00 and the wardrobe stated that the GVWR was 8600 #

I was really interested in this unit and my overall impression, for my purposes, was that it was too much money, too many things lost and not enough gained to justify. I'd rather move up to a Classic for the price.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I had a slide out on my last truck camper. Yes, a slide-out on a slide-in! My wife wacked her head on it on when we were dry camping on the Texas coast. It was a slide-out over the wheels so it was high enough to where you could walk right in to it if you weren't looking or had a hat on. She bled like a stuck pig and I had to speed away to the minor emergency on a Sunday morning to get her stitched up.

Needless to say, shortly thereafter I sold the camper.

Chas
Old 02-14-2003, 12:29 PM   #11
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Slide-out

"You lose all of the storage cabinet space over the dinette AND below each dinette seat. This is a big loss of storage. "

Actually, I never considered the Safari Slide-out, and the Classic does still have the storage under the seats.

"The interior fit and finish was not all that great and the bathroon medicine cabinet hardware was flat out cheap. The interior is in the new light oak with more Euro styling and rounded corners. "

Ditto the difference between a Safari and a Classic Slide-out unit.

I do still agree, though, that for the bucks, you don't get enough bang with a Slide-out Airstream trailer. Also, now that I think about it for awhile, A silver bullet with a slide-out is a little weird.

WBCCI 7231