Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
Smile Need input, considering classic airstream 30'so

Hope that someone can give me a little imput...i sure could use some!
My husband and i are looking at getting a 2007 30' classic with slideout....i like a little more space, any issues with the slide (addtnl weight not factor)

Also the classic doesn't have a galley....ideas for storage of cereal canned goods etc, that is still convienant. I am used to tt with more storage but like the airstream.

stonymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
They have been having problem with leaks in the slide outs.

there are plenty of places to store food if you have the dinette. Without it you loose the under seat storage. Remember unless you are full timing you will not need everything you have in the house in the trailer.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
jcanavera has one and totally loves it. I would PM him if he doesn't see this thread to get the low down on it.

One thing he was very clear about was that before the slide is slid, the stabilizer jacks have to be deployed....or bad things can happen. He has not mentioned anything to me about leaks per se, with the slide unit.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Cathy,

I am a 2007 34' SO owner. I am familiar with the 30' SO because we looked at that model before our purchase. (There were no 34' fters available at that time.) We use the slideout shelves under the microwave/convection oven as our pantry. Our pots and pans are stored under the cabinet between the sink and drawers. However, in the 30 fters that area does not exsist. You could use one of the slide-out shelves as food storage. Believe me over time you will be able to find an arrangement that works for you. As Michelle(thecatsandi) stated the drawers in the dinette benches are great as well.

As far as the slide we have only had one minor problem. The carpet on one side wants to pull in with the slide. This will be a easy fix, however. We have had no leaks with our slide but have only had it since August. Airstream has developed a well designed seal on these models. It is better than most, excluding the very highline Class A coaches. We thought long and hard before deciding to purchase an Airstream with a slide. We knew all the negatives of a slide but it adds so much living space even though it is a small slide. When on the road and are not able to use your slide it becomes much like the models without the slide.

I hope this is helpful to you. If I can answer any further questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.

Good luck with your decision,

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas

We have a 2004 34' with a slide, and it's never leaked. The dealer told me that I should check for water on top of the slide before brining it in. Yes, there is an awning that covers the top of the slide, but water can get under it in a heavy rain. The slide's seal will help to remove some water, but if there's a lot of it some will get inside.

As Twinkie said, it's very important to have the stabilizer jacks on the ground before extending the slide. The slide's weight will torque the frame without any support. Jackson Center told me that I should place more weight on the front stabilizers to help support the weight.

My unit came with a pantry, for foodstuffs, underneath the convection oven. Cooking gear goes in the cabinets under the curbside counter.

We are very pleased with our unit, and hope you will be as well.

'04 34' Classic S/O lounge, dome king, twin a/c, faux fireplace to keep the wife warm , equa-li-zer, prodigy, 4 birds, dog - no kids allowed!

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My slide out has performed flawlessly, and I don't believe we have seen any leak issues on the forums. You do have to exercise some caution when retracting the slide if water has accumulated on the top of the slide. The awning does a good job but wind driven rain can cause water to get on top. This can cause some water to get in when retracting. I just carry a long handled squeegee to pull the water off if we have had the wind driven rain conditions.

I consider the cabinet under the microwave/convection oven the pantry. We store all our food in it. Pans go under the dinnette seating. Those are accessed by large slide out drawers. The only issue we would state is that the 30' unit only has a single large hanging closet. Our Safari had the dual closets and if you are traveling in warm/cold climes trying to carry heavy coats and hanging clothing is difficult when dealing with the single closet.

We thought long and hard regarding going to a slide and entering into our 4th season, we have no regrets.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote