Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Shelby , North Carolina
Need advise

I purchased my 76 31ft AS last month and I love it. My wife and I went out last week and spent a week in Asheville and loved it. We have had new custom mattresses made for it, and we cleaned and painted the interior. The trailer is in good shape. But I was told today about a 2nd owner 87 31ft Airstream Excella for around the same price I paid for my 76. Should I put mine up for sale? is there a benefit? The newer trailer has not been used much and is good condition as well. I was told the awning in my older trailer is in better shape. Both trailers are a lot of money for our family so this is a big deal. We would have to sale one to get the other. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks Eddie

NC-4
eddiejenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
On vintage and near vintage trailers its all condition not so much age that has to be taken into consideration. The materials used for the interior of the '87 are different from the '76. Some of the plastics are a lot better and the cabinets are made differently. The '87 weighs quite a bit more because of materials used and a larger frame. Also how each trailer was used and how it will be used in the future weighs into the equation. The larger '87's generally sell for more than larger '76's for the same trailer just because of age. If the '86 was a super deal for about what you paid or could sell the '76 for and the condition was as good or better I'd be tempted.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Shelby , North Carolina
Is the 87 a wide body? or are they basically the same shell with different insides? The 87 was only used twice by original owner, than stored (because he died) inside for 10 years. The owners brothers son bought it next and had it in a camp ground for the rest of its life. They used it as a summer place during the summers. He says everything works. has a small tear in the awning. the price is 8000. Does this help?

NC-4
eddiejenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiejenn View Post
I purchased my 76 31ft AS last month and I love it. My wife and I went out last week and spent a week in Asheville and loved it. We have had new custom mattresses made for it, and we cleaned and painted the interior. The trailer is in good shape. But I was told today about a 2nd owner 87 31ft Airstream Excella for around the same price I paid for my 76. Should I put mine up for sale? is there a benefit? The newer trailer has not been used much and is good condition as well. I was told the awning in my older trailer is in better shape. Both trailers are a lot of money for our family so this is a big deal. We would have to sale one to get the other. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks Eddie

Hey Eddie,

It sounds like you're coming down with a dreaded case of Aluminitus....

If the trailer is close by and you need a 2nd set of eyes let me know and I'll try to meet up with you.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote