Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Need advice-New and dented at dealer

We need a little advice from the community.

We wanted the 25 twin and our local dealer didn't have one so we ordered it from the factory. It came in right after the first of the year but we didn't have time to take delivery of it right then, so my son and I went in and took a quick look basically right after it got delivered. It appeared fine at that time and we didn't see any dents.

Yesterday when we were going to take delivery, I noticed about 4 dents in the front corner on the street side and about 4-6 dents in the rear top corner. This was very concerning to us. This is brand new 2017 trailer.

We decided to leave it there to be fixed and said we would come back after they fixed the dents.

Is this what you all would of done? Will having to remove part of the trailer and fix the dents cause possible future problems for our trailer? (We are not sure what is involved in the repair.) We are most concerned about possible leaks I guess. We just need some good advice from the community. This is our first Airstream ever, first trailer ever and want to make sure we don't have future problems.

Thank you so much for your input.
AnnieStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Did you take any pictures that you could share?

I'm not sure I would accept one that was damaged, at least not without a good discount.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If your dealer is capable of replacing the panels I'd go for it. Otherwise as SeaLevel suggested pictures, lots of them. Then contact the factory for warranty and see if they would allow you to take it to Vinnie's Airstream down near Sacramento for the warranty repair. He has done a number of panel replacements and has posted pictures etc.

But, once you leave the dealer you are going to need to prove somehow the damage happened there and not by you after taking it. Pictures and a document from the dealer as to their accepting responsibility would help.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've been very happy with the warranty repair work done by the dealer in Fairfield, CA. Just my own opinion, but I think there's less chance of error having a panel replaced by a dealer than when they install it new at the factory, because of the difference between doing production work on an assembly line and working on one individual unit until it is fixed. Vinnie in Santa Rosa also does great work, but don't know if he's authorized to do warranty repairs. I guess technically, this really isn't a warranty repair anyway, since you haven't taken delivery yet, so that probably makes it even less likely that he could do the work.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Simply reject it. It's your money, order another one.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Personally I would refuse to accept that at all unless there is a BIG discount. I would be worried about how and why it was dented and did anything else happen to it. If you bought new you should get new. Just as an FYI panel replacement is very expensive and I doubt the new panels would get the original buck rivets as done at the factory. I would not accept a new car from a dealer if they told me it came in damaged but don't worry we repaired it or put on a new door. If you ever have a problem with that area (after the warranty) then you will never know if it was from the repair or not and you will have a hard time proving it.
I expect you are anxious to get your Airstream but with what you probably paid for new I would not be willing to settle on that unless it was multiple thousands of dollars discounted and maybe not even then.
kenfconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I would reject it. Don't make their problem your problem...
Ted Aloupis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Just curious if you made a note of the serial number. In case it shows up later as "new".
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Jerry & Suzanne

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
O Fallon , Alabama
Dent

No way would I want that airstream. As much as one pays for a new one. I would want it to be New not repaired. If I did take it I would take pictures and document the repairs and also demand a discount if no discount then order a new one I agree why take on some one else's problem.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Going forward as planned, you would not be buying a "new" AS; you'd be buying a reconditioned one, at full retail. Is that satisfactory to you?

You're alternatives are:
1. Renegotiate the purchase price, either with you taking the AS as is or with them promising to fix the damage promptly at their expense and to your satisfaction.
2. Terminate the contract, on the basis that what the dealer is offering is not what the dealer promised to deliver, ie, a new, undamaged AS; and if you desire, look for another AS there or elsewhere.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
There are two authorized dealers in OR and in MHO, one is clearly better than the other. I'm curious as to which dealer you purchased and ordered. One of the two has a very good reputation among our community and is authorized to do factory repairs of panels. That being said, unless you were in a hurry, I don't think I'd want a new AS that has body repairs even before it comes off the lot. One of the Oregon dealers has 4 locations in OR, WA, ID, CA, and has one of the largest inventories in the US. I would be surprised if they didn't have another one like you ordered somewhere.
I guess one question many of us are curious about is what has the dealer said about the dents and what are they going to do to make it right. At the very least, very significant discounting and lifetime warranty on the repairs.
Let us know how it turns out and I'm sorry that your experience with a new trailer starts on a sour note.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Get your OWN Dents!!

Pictures and more Pictures! Have dealership make leak proof repairs and do not accept anything less! Get EVERYTHING in writing on their Company bill of sale to repair any resultant leaks for up to 90 days. Don't accept it AS-IS!! A discount is not worth it! Next option: Order another and let the dealer fret over the first one.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Amen!
carlfloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Simply reject it. For the kind of money your paying, it better not have damage!

When they tell you it will take 10 weeks for another one, give HQ a call. They might be able to fast track one for you.

Either way, you got put in a bad situation. Sorry.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post

I agree I would !
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I think the OP has already taken possession and left it at the dealer, so refusal is likely out of the question.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Not sure what I would do in your shoes, aside from popping a blood pressure pill. It definitely doesn't feel right to get a "repaired" trailer when you ordered a new one. I would not take it at full price, even if repaired properly. As someone has said...that's a "reconditioned" trailer, not a "new" trailer.

As to whether you would have problems down the road after a panel replacement, it largely depends not the quality of the work done and who does it. We have had a panel replacement (expertly performed at Oasis RV Center in Tucson) and cannot tell it was ever damaged ... and we have not had any problems with it.

Good luck with it. Remember that no matter how annoying it is, it can be resolved.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Let me get this right, you ordered but have not closed on a new trailer. Correct? If so by no stretch of any imagination is it your responsibility to contact Airstream or any other dealer about repair.
Seems to me that the dealership damaged the trailer and was hoping you would not notice. I would reject and order another one. Preferably from another dealer if the first dealer will not give you a massive discount for your inconvenience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
The first year we owned our 03 we were camped our bikes were chained to a fence next to our trailer falling against the trailer and denting the rear pannel. We had it repaired (put in a new pannel at the factory) a few years ago it started chipping in spots--although it looks fine from a short distance I know about the spots. If it were me and I spent that much money on it I would reject it and reorder. Just my opinion.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
It will not be easy to do, but after you do it you will feel relief:

Walkaway, get your deposit/money back, go to another dealer an buy a NEW trailer.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote