Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2003, 01:51 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

I can cover a 300 mile radius in western Canada (Edmonton, Alberta) Just think how far those US dollars will go towards your new-used A/S up here! I'm sure you could buy a Bambi for like $5. I will borrow my brother-in-law's digital cam to e-mail you pics and give a detailed description of the trailer’s overall condition. You will agree to reimburse me for the fuel costs in my miserly Volkswagen Jetta. (I will send receipt). No need to worry about me purchasing your sought after gem. Heck, I can’t even afford to buy my own digital cam!

<<<Sorry, but my offer only applies to medium or long standing forum members and their verified friends & families>>>

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

I'd be willing to volunteer for a small donation.

Jax, Daytona, Orlando, Melbroune, West Palm Beach(east coast of FL)

Ocala & north on I-75 to southern GA

Food for thought:

200 mile round trip @ .30 per mile = $60 donation

Covers your fuel and wear & tear on your vehicle.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:25 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Donations/compensation

John, biggerbadbrad, thenewkid64 and others have pointed out that it is only fair to offer to compensate people for their mileage and mailing costs. I completely agree, and I'm going to strengthen the wording on The List so that prospective buyers understand.

29 volunteers in 18 states and 2 Canadian provinces so far! Keep 'em coming!

New version of the list will be posted to the link above later today.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 AM   #44
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Texas Hill Country)
I also agree with a reasonable compensation for time and money spent.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
I can cover southern lower Michigan and norther Ohio. I live near the intersection of US-23 and I-96. Detroit, Lansing and Toledo are within an hour away and Grand Rapids is with in two hours. Do not have digital camera yet but have several good film cameras and can take photos and overnight mail photos. Have owned 3 Airstreams over the last 23 years, so I know what to look for. PM is best way to contact as I check this site every day when I am home.

Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Red face I'm not that good

!
Quote:
Also, I'd like to suggest that RL write up a "Standard list" of items every VI should photograph and comment upon, one for Vintage units and one for New units.
Well, I wish I was experienced enough to do that but there are others on this board who could do a much better job. Any volunteers?

I know when I did this on an Argosy I just kept shooting pics of everything, and especially made sure I took a lot of closeups and different angles. When I reviewed the photos on my PC later, the closeups were invaluable in reminding me why I didn't buy the trailer! You really can't see the important stuff in the typical "wide angle" views most sellers provide.

As a starting point, I would suggest closeup pictures of every major appliance (refrig, toilet, furnace, water pump, stove, etc.), the flooring at several places, any damage, multiple views of the skin including underside, windows, countertops, fabric, tires, hitch, dump valves, bumpers ...

And I took pictures inside the closets, underneath the couches, with the windows open (to prove they do), with the door open and closed, inside the battery compartment, etc. I even tried to find a high spot so I could shoot the plumbing vents, TV antenna, and air conditioner.

When you're shooting digital, you can't take too many pictures! Go wild. That's my $0.02.

-- RL

PS: By the way, KIMILI, thanks for the compliment but this wasn't my idea -- I'm just the guy keeping the list. The idea has been kicking around this forum for a long time.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
OK RL

a lot of pics is good but I still believe they should be taken in some sort of pre defined order. The list would greatly help with that. It could then identify the areas of most damage or with the greatest problems.

We're not very savvy on vintage units but would really like to help an interested buyer the best we can. If we had a list we would know exactly what to look for and take pics (many) and it would help us not to forget anything!!

Just follow the list, complete every section of it so that the essential and basic necessary info/pics are all there and then go wild with your opinions, extra pics, details, comments etc. The "further comments" section at the end of the list could be the personalized area of the VI or VPA.

What do you think of the VPA?
I mentioned it because lately I've been receiving a few PMs from new buyers in our area asking for advice.

I could help with a VPA list but I wouldn't know where to start with a vintage one...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 PM   #48

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Count me in, I can go look at trailers/MH in the Portland, OR /SW WA area. Brett will vouch for me, I inspected that MH he bought. Oh yeah, it didn't quite make the trip home. Oh well, maybe he won't vouch for me after all

As I recall Brett gave me a very good list to take with us of things to look at, since we have zero MH experience. Most of my experience is with classic cars. But I can tell a scary deal when I see one, so I'm glad to help out where I can.

Folks can PM me here (I'm on everyday), I have a digital camera, I can upload photos to make them accessable online.

And I promise not to snap up anything anyone sends me to look at (unless they pass on them first)!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #49
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steph,

You did GREAT. How were you to know the transmission would go wonky twice in 2200 miles and blow the engine?
Attached Files
File Type: txt motorhome checklistb.txt (4.9 KB, 161 views)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
volunteer here

We think this is a good idea too. We are living 25 mi. SW of Cleveland in LaGrange, OH. We can cover Northern OH.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
equipment

Oops! We have a digital camera available and can get them on a CD.
We have one vintage Argosy in our driveway, and don't need TWO!
We would be glad to look for a gem for someone else!
Best way to get us is by PM.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Put me down for middle Tennessee. Nashville to Knoxville, Chattanooga to Kentucky line.

Great idea.

I have some friends in our WBCCI unit that would give me some help on the eastern side of Knoxville.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

I can cover the Indianapolis and central Indiana area. Though I don't have my Airstream yet, I do have a digital camera, CD burner, and mechanical, electrical, and troubleshooting experience.
LonnieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Great Idea! I would be happy to do Southern Vermont, Western Massachusetts, and the Albany, NY area.

So with me covering Southern VT and RLuhr covering Northern VT, can we claim Vermont as the first state with 100% coverage?
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 05:24 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I am East of Cleveland, 2 mi South of I90. I have seen a few A/S for sale in these parts. I have digital camera.

If anyone is traveling and needs a place to park for a night, I have room. Can provide a 30 amp electric connection. We are supposed to get a new Wal-Mart built next year. It will be about 6 mile South of I90. Interesting to see if the City of Chardon will allow RV parking.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
The list is updated as of 10/24, 10:30 am EST

REMINDER: You can download the current list on page one of this thread. Look for the posting about halfway down page one, called "Download the list here".

KIMILI, I don't have anyone called NJ74 on the list. Are you perhaps thinking of joecj76 in Pennsylvania?

In any case, NJ's a big state with lots of Airstreams -- so does anyone else want to sign up for NJ? The more the merrier!

LuvSub, thanks for taking southern VT. Now, if there were only a few Airstreams to look at up here ....

Anyone who uses this list to inspect an Airstream long-distance, please post your experience on this thread so we know how it's working (or not working). Thanks

-- RL
Old 10-24-2003, 09:13 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

I can help with western Maryland, SW Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Have digital camera, will travel.
cherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Count me in for the Metro Atlanta and North Georgia area. You can PM me here or email me at HP9K@yahoo.com
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:04 PM   #59
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Update-- we now have a digital camera to further serve your Airstream-viewing needs.
Terry
Old 10-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Postage Stamp States

I have to get a little chuckle out of the posts from the postage stamp states bragging about 100% coverage.

I think the Texas Panhandle is probably about the size of Jersey and Vermont...added together.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote