Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel kings
I am a first time buyer, and a single mom. I need to buy something before may, but need help knowing what will need work. If anyone in the Roseburg area can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it.
thanks!
Rachel
HI Rachel, Did you find what you are looking for yet ? Just about anything vintage will need some work to a degree. Do you have a price range ? Size ? You can PM or email me if ya want, maybe I can help some.

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #254
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
looking for moho <$15000

Thanks for the reply, I am still looking. I need to be careful. At $15000 I know whatever I get will need some work, but I hope I will know what that will be ahead of time. I need something about 26-32 ft long to get me, the kids, and some small pets accross the US this summer. That is why the a/c is so important to me. Age doesn't matter as long as there will be no huge surprises when I'm alone on the road. I'd like an airstream for the resale value and because as a designer, I approve of the shape. But the green book does not like them too well. We will be living in whatever we buy for up at least 6 mos. I don't have a tow vehicle, and would prefer a moho.
Any suggestions you can offer would be so appreciated!
Rachel

Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
motorhome Airstream

This could be good deal for you. Its an EBAY type item but it looks good for your purposes. I am sure there are inspectors in the area...I think its a buyers market now for these great Airstreams. GUY99 is up by you....ask him.
Good luck in the search.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #256
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
Smile I may have found something

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
HI Rachel, Did you find what you are looking for yet ? Just about anything vintage will need some work to a degree. Do you have a price range ? Size ? You can PM or email me if ya want, maybe I can help some.
Now I need the name of a good mechanic to check it out. It is not an airstream, unfortunately. I have been talked into getting a newer cheap class c. So I really need to have a mechanic go over it. Can you recommend someone in portland? I would so much appreciate it!
thanks
Rachel
Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #257
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Anyone willing to go by and check this out for me? I would appreciate it. It's in LA.

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 1992 Airstream Sovereign 21' - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #258
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Hi Rachel, PDX Automotive is the shop I use. They are very good and about midrange in price. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Just saw your post. PM me for the info and address.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #259
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
Question Thanks Chris!

I may have changed my mind about buying a class A. I just don't know enough about this to feel comfortable going that route yet. I was wondering if there was an airstream trailer that a Toyota Sienna minivan could pull (towing capacity 3500 lbs)? I will take you up on getting the info of a good mechanic, thanks. No matter what we end up with, it will be good to know.
thanks again for all your help!
Rachel
Old 06-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #260
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Irmo , South Carolina
Looking for a volunteer inspector in Louisiana
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #261
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel kings View Post
I may have changed my mind about buying a class A. I just don't know enough about this to feel comfortable going that route yet. I was wondering if there was an airstream trailer that a Toyota Sienna minivan could pull (towing capacity 3500 lbs)? I will take you up on getting the info of a good mechanic, thanks. No matter what we end up with, it will be good to know.
Rachel
With a 3500 pound towing limit you will be limited to very few trailers. The attached list shows the dry weight without options of personal stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf weights.pdf (100.7 KB, 35 views)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel kings View Post
Rachel
Hi Rachel, Well my Caravel weighs in at about 2550 moderately loaded with all the stuff one person would need for a three day trip. I towed it with my Aerostar to a rally recently. While it was capable of the task for a short haul. A cross country trip, in my opinion, is outta the question. Ford says that my Aerostar has a 5,000 Lb towing capacity. After my trip I think that is wishful thinking. I am going to give it another go with some mods later in the year.

I think with that towing capacity you would be looking at a Older unit for sure, such as a Bambi. The newer Bambi Airstreams have gained some weight.

hmmmm.....How about an Airstream Classic motorhome towing the Sienna ! Just a thought !!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #263
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have actually been contacted twice to go inspect trailers in my area. Both deals ended at the photo stage and I never actually went. There must be some sort of data base out there that brought those folks to me. I know that I am on a list through the WBCCI as a willing inspector to travel with in 150 miles. If someone wants me to go that far, they might just have to buy me lunch with gas prices the way they are.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #264
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Anyone out there in Texas able to take a look at a vintage 79' in Kerrville ASAP for me?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #265
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
Smile thanks Richard!

That is some really good info, I'm so glad you told me. I will rethink my plan now and inform you when I know what to do. I almost think it would be best to zip across country in my corolla (the kids and cats wouldn't enjoy the drive too much anyway) and buy something on the east coast when I get there. I can always rent a larger vehicle to tow it home, right?
thanks again!
Rachel
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #266
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Volunteer inspection near Tarrytown, NY (north of Yonkers)

Would anyone be available for a volunteer inspection of a 20' Argosy MH in lower NY state (North of Yonkers, right near Tarrytown)?
Kathy