Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage
It appears the unit you went to pick up was on consignment at the retail Dealership you mention.

It seems it would have been in the interest of the Dealership to have detailed the trailer before you came to look. But, what you describe in your post is relatively minor damage.

Are you sure you were not experiencing "buyers' remorse"?

It just seems such a minor set of concerns to walk away from a deal that you had invested so much time in
There was no buyers remorse. I have never seen my wife so excited as the morning we pulled into that dealership. She has lost both of her folks recently and life has been a struggle. We looked at several other units on the lot while waiting for our sales guy to show up (he was 1/2 hour late). I was SO excited for her and was thrilled to see a light in her eyes I haven't seen for months. I was excited as well and couldn't wait to get the AS on the road. I just couldn't bring myself to be taken advantage of- to get screwed by salesman that sold too cheaply and then was unwilling to admit his mistake, lied to me, and then had the gall to make me look like I was too picky. It took us about an hour of deliberating to make that decision but we both agreed. At my age, I'm tired of dealing with *#@*. I don't need it anymore and avoid dealing with nasty people whenever possible. I felt pushed into a corner by these people. I stopped the sales manager as he whizzed by in a golf cart and asked him if he was aware of what was taking place. "Yeah, I can put you into a 2005. I've got three of them on the lot." No apologies, no attempt to make it right. Just the attitudes and being made to feel that we were the ones who were wacked-out and unreasonable. I won't do business with such people- even if it cost me a grand. My code is worth more than money. Maybe I'm just too proud and should have sucked it up and spent the extra 400-500 bucks to make the unit showroom myself. Maybe. I was told that the unit would be "showroom- just like any brand new unit on the lot." I saw the brand new ones- not EVEN close.
Sorry, I guess I'n venting here, but you get the idea of how I feel. There's another shiny AS out there for us somewhere- just not at Bates RV.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Keep looking !!!!!

DD -

Sorry to hear of your poor experience. It really is a shame when salespeople/ business people do something like that to sour a customers exprience. Makes the good ones look bad - something about "one bad apple..."

Keep looking. Don't know how long you have been nosing around for 'your' Airstream but trust me, it/she/he is out there. AND, when you do find it - your wife will be like the tree at Christmas! It'll put tears in your eyes!

I spent about a year looking for the 'right' rig. Most of it on the web, with some actual walk throughs to get a sense of space and build quality. AS beat them all - hands down. All that being said, whenever I did find a rig I was interested in, I called the owner (never did want to go through a dealer). If they weren't interested in ALL my questions, or if I got ANY funny vibes - I was OUTTA there. Made for a LOT of frustration and 'Oh wells'. That's OK.

That was how I decided to go about buying a trailer I plan to have quite a while. My $'s are worth my investment of time, phone calls, "Oh wells" and all the aggravation. ANY red flags and I moved on.

Did finally find an owner that was willing/ eager to talk about the trailer. He answered ALL my million questions - after the purchase I got the phone bills out and found that he and I had talked ( over a week) about 4 hours!! I got NO wierd vibes, no funny feelings, no sense of evasiveness - nothing that made me say ' move on'.

Still had a ZILLION butterflies and nervousness as we went (BIG check in hand) to see the trailer in person - 400 miles one way! The owner and his wife were as nice as I could have hoped. SilverToy was as he promised - I was still ready to 'move on' if it wasn't as advertised!

To make a long story a bit shorter. SilverToy (son #3 named her on the first tow home!) joined the family and we have had a terrific time with her.

I surely could have bought something MUCH sooner, but SilverToy was waiting for us to find the PO and her. Glad I did things the way I did. Be patient - your IS out there.

Now go find YOUR AirStream and put that gleam in your wifes eyes! Your will be moist too.

my .02 cents -

See ya out there!

Axel

Old 03-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
SilverToy,
Wow. Thanks so much for your kind words and the story behind your purchase. I can't tell you how much it means to me. Thanks for caring and sharing. This AS forum is SO cool. I'm meeting the NICEST people!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am really sorry to hear of your wife's loss and your hard times with the dealer in Florida. As you said there is an Airstream waiting for you somewhere out there. It took us a year to find Chummy and he was sure worth the wait.
It would be nice to consolidate this thread into an easy to read and search tool for those who need an inspector. Hey moderators is this possible? I have it on my profile that I will inspect trailers and motor homes in SE Wisconsin, plus somewhere in the 15 or 16 pages of this thread I posted the same. How could a new person gain that information by searching? Is there a way to make up a list of inspectors which would be search-able?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
A 2004 should be mint and better than a new one as someone has attended to the usual post purchase fixes. Someone was really lazy or using the trailer as a bait a switch, they were looking to get you into a new unit all along. These are after all commission sales persons. If they didn't take the time to remove a stain then what else did they fail to check? I would bet you they were selling it for someone who bought a new one and wanted more than they would give in trade in.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #174
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I am really sorry to hear of your wife's loss and your hard times with the dealer in Florida. As you said there is an Airstream waiting for you somewhere out there. It took us a year to find Chummy and he was sure worth the wait.
It would be nice to consolidate this thread into an easy to read and search tool for those who need an inspector. Hey moderators is this possible? I have it on my profile that I will inspect trailers and motor homes in SE Wisconsin, plus somewhere in the 15 or 16 pages of this thread I posted the same. How could a new person gain that information by searching? Is there a way to make up a list of inspectors which would be search-able?
Thanks, Chaplain... I appreciate your supportive thoughts. I love the name "Chummy".
Old 03-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #175
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
A 2004 should be mint and better than a new one as someone has attended to the usual post purchase fixes. Someone was really lazy or using the trailer as a bait a switch, they were looking to get you into a new unit all along. These are after all commission sales persons. If they didn't take the time to remove a stain then what else did they fail to check? I would bet you they were selling it for someone who bought a new one and wanted more than they would give in trade in.
I'll bet you're right. They sure didn't put any effort into the sale, that's for sure. As far as Frank Bates's promise to call me back (the owner).. haven't heard squat. No surprise there.
Well, my wife told me I need to move on from this, so I'm going to try to be positive from here on out. Thanks again for everyone's support.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Looking For An Airstream

Hi, Double D. Here's part of my story; My wife and I were thinking SOB motorhomes for some time. Then, somehow we caught Aluminitus. We spent three years looking for our dream trailer. We studied all of the options and decided that a 25-B [rear queen] would be perfect for us. We also thought we could accept a 25-A [rear twins] and I could easily change it into a queen. So the search started. We drove several hundred miles from home to look at a trailer that might be what we were looking for, only to find a dirty, inside and out, Airstream 25-B without rock shields to protect the beat up front end. And a tongue area completely rusted. Not to mention the tires; two different brands and all four badly worn. Our thoughts on this trailer were, Clean and repaint the tongue, replace all four tires with brand new tires, clean the trailer inside and out, and put rock shields on the front to hide the hundreds of little dents. Make it presentable, not perfect.
Next, we found another trailer to go see. Now this was an all day trip. When we looked at this one, we noticed a tree dent on the rear roof area that could have been pulled out useing a neumatic suction cup slidehammer. On the inside the sinks and shower areas were stained or dirty. Also on this year the cabinets were covered by woodgrain vinyl from the factory and some of it was peeling. Once again, we walked. Had the dealer fixed these things before we got there, it would have been a deal. We would have bought it.
Being some what discouraged, we started looking for a good deal on a new one. Long story short, after three dealers, we went out of state over the internet and ordered a new trailer in Eugene, Oregon.
Keep looking, your dream trailer is out there.

Bob

We named our trailer "Le Pitit Chateau Argente" The Small Silver Castle.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 AM   #177
3 Rivet Member

Bates RV in Tampa

DD,
I once bought a used Airstream MH from the exact same people. Keep in mind that I flew with my wife from CA to Tampa to pick up, only to find a mediocre ride. Since they had $5000 of my cash, I had to take it home. The surprise came when the "new" generator did not work as soon as we left the lot. Lesson learned. Never again.
Fabian
Old 04-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #178
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Double D. Here's part of my story; My wife and I were thinking SOB motorhomes for some time. Then, somehow we caught Aluminitus. We spent three years looking for our dream trailer. We studied all of the options and decided that a 25-B [rear queen] would be perfect for us. We also thought we could accept a 25-A [rear twins] and I could easily change it into a queen. So the search started. We drove several hundred miles from home to look at a trailer that might be what we were looking for, only to find a dirty, inside and out, Airstream 25-B without rock shields to protect the beat up front end. And a tongue area completely rusted. Not to mention the tires; two different brands and all four badly worn. Our thoughts on this trailer were, Clean and repaint the tongue, replace all four tires with brand new tires, clean the trailer inside and out, and put rock shields on the front to hide the hundreds of little dents. Make it presentable, not perfect.
Next, we found another trailer to go see. Now this was an all day trip. When we looked at this one, we noticed a tree dent on the rear roof area that could have been pulled out useing a neumatic suction cup slidehammer. On the inside the sinks and shower areas were stained or dirty. Also on this year the cabinets were covered by woodgrain vinyl from the factory and some of it was peeling. Once again, we walked. Had the dealer fixed these things before we got there, it would have been a deal. We would have bought it.
Being some what discouraged, we started looking for a good deal on a new one. Long story short, after three dealers, we went out of state over the internet and ordered a new trailer in Eugene, Oregon.
Keep looking, your dream trailer is out there.

Bob

We named our trailer "Le Pitit Chateau Argente" The Small Silver Castle.
Thanks, we are still looking. Great name!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #179
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabofabo
DD,
I once bought a used Airstream MH from the exact same people. Keep in mind that I flew with my wife from CA to Tampa to pick up, only to find a mediocre ride. Since they had $5000 of my cash, I had to take it home. The surprise came when the "new" generator did not work as soon as we left the lot. Lesson learned. Never again.
Fabian
Thanks for the reply. Yes, looks like many others have had issues with these people. I'm taking on your credo, "Never Again".

Darrell
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #180
2 Rivet Member

anyone in sacramento area

Looking at a Caravel that is listed on craigslist. There are no pictures, so hard to tell if its OK. Don't want to drive up there for nothing. Its in Granite Bay...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 AM   #181
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Portland, OR
I'll go 50 miles or so, and I have digital camera, CD recorder and the ability and judgement to take notes, and 300 pictures if necessary.

I love this idea, and nothing beats a 2nd opinion from a 3rd party.

I take pictures of stuff even when I'm looking at it. It helps me rember the details, and sometimes the digital pictures can reveal things that you don't see even when you are there in person.

Glad to help out if I can.
I'm actually enlisting a member here to check out a MoHo for me this weekend. I feel it's my duty to offer the same for any of you.
I think it's fun to check out all the different airstreams out there anyway.

Kevin
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #182
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Nothing beats a 1st hand accounting for a 2nd opinion from a 3rd party. Brilliant!!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote