Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Question Mystery Items

I'm guessing that everyone has something on or in their Airstream that they don't know what it is - a mystery item. So, here's the new thread. Post a picture or give a detailed description of your mystery item. Must be in or on your Airstream. Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery item_0003.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1488  
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
Finally Retired

, Washington
where is this located. Could it have been something to hold a door open ?????
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
It doesn't hold open the door. It is curbside, somewhat under the galley window. Here's a another photo from a different perspective.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mystery item_0002.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1490  
Old 02-16-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
awning

forrest,

could it be some kind of center mount for an awning support?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I thought it might be some kind of antenna mount, but it would have to have a wire attached on the inside somewhere. Just a guess at first glance.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Question Good guess

I thought it might me some sort of mount for an awning support, but I've never seen an awning with a support in the center. Plus, it's attached to just the skin, so it couldn't handle very much weight.

The thought had also occurred to me that it might be a mount for an antenna, but I can't find any wire going to it from the inside.

I'll likely take it off if we can't figure out what it is, but there's no rush.

Forrest
Old 02-17-2003, 09:18 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
whatsit

Forrest, that is what's commonly known in the business as a chrome poindexter. They of course are useless without a size matched razzafrats and work even better with the pacalumer surround. I suspect that, should you find these other accessories somewhere ( or facsimiles thereof, after all they may be somewhat modified if you are at all handy ) it would increase the the enjoyment of your Airstream exponentially.Try Ebay.

Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Smile Ha, ha!

Brouck,

I got a good laugh out of your post! Thanks.

Forrest
Old 02-18-2003, 05:08 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
another guess

Forrest, seriously, if I am allowed that now, when I picked up my trailer there was a similar, if not identical, looking gadget attached to the A-frame on one side underneath the gas tanks. I was given a pile of chain and metal bars that I was told was some type of equalizer hitch. I was under the impression that the metal nipple looking gadget was part of that set up. Since I had purchased something more modern to fit to the unit immediately, the "poindexter" has been discarded. I can't for the life of me figure out why it would have been mounted on the side of your coach. You say it is only mounted skin deep? Logic tells me it has to be a stop of some kind. Best regards.
Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yeah I have a "Doohicky" I'm curious about on mine. Unfortunatly I don't have a picture where it's visible handy. It's mounted on the curb side and it's a round plastic peice with two screws sticking out of it them mounted to the body. It's base is wedge shaped so it follows the contour of the side so the face is vertical. It's OLD but I'm not sure it's as old as the trailer. My guess is a mount for a TV antenna or a CB. With the fact that it follows the shape of the side I think it was a part that came from Airstream. Why I don't think it was original to my A/S is if it was an antenna it would interfere with the Curb side Awning. I also noticed a gromit on the inside wall on the shelf above the reefer (my reefer cabinet does not extend to the ceiling) that seems to be into the same cavity between ribs. That area would be a natural place to put a TV. Currently it has a Microwave sitting there.
Did Airstream ever offer a Antenna mount of some kind?
I also have an outline where something was mounted on the curb side of the forward facing window. What ever it was had a triangular brackets and was rivited to the body. Same shape outlines and rivit patern at the top and bottom corners of the window frame. No holes where a Cable or wiring would pass through the body. Closest point a wire could come in would be the gromit where the wires from the battery go in below the window (mine has a front battery box there.).
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Forrest
I think that bracket is a ball for a drink holder that has a ball and socket, it is supposed to hang down no matter what position the base is. I think I saw one in a catalog or at Wall Mart.
Gene
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Mystery solved!

One of our Unit members is a Zip Dee retailer, and while he was installing my new awning I asked him about the mystery item. Well, duh! He knew what it was right away. It is simply a knurled knob to attach a work light clamp to! So, right away I went to the hardware store and bought me a new "porch light" to go under my new awning! I think it's actually quite attractive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mystery solved.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	6975  
Old 05-31-2004, 10:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
To bad. I was hoping it was a bracket for hanging a boat fender.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote