Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
My stupid question...

Hi all,

I'm totally new to Airstream and the camping lifestyle and therefore my question may seem odd. My wife and I have been discussing camping and that we both think we would enjoy it. I've looked at several Airstreams and found a 1968 Airstream International Overlander. It appears to be in good+ condition and 26' seems to be a good size for towing. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this Airstream but have a curiousity. We have visited several campgrounds in the NC mountains and we have yet to see a single Airstream in the campgrounds or even on the highways. I would think that there would be some Airstreams camping in the mountains. Where do you guys/gals go?

We are thinking that we want to have short excursions to the mountains and/or the coast. We don't want a camper to park in a single spot and visit on weekends. Is that how most of you use your Airstreams? What campgrounds do you find that you like the most? KOA??

Please forgive my ignorance but it was bugging me that I've never seen an Airstream actually camping. Granted I only recently started paying attention to them.

Thanks,

Pete
North Carolina
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
There are not so many Airstreams as SOB [some other brand] trailers out there, so you won't see so many ... but you should go to an Airstream Rally - there, you'll see a lot! What you are likely to see, it a lot more OLDER Airstreams than SOBs, 'cause they tend to last, people tend to take good care of them, and they often get restored.

And I think you don't see too many Airstreams at fixed locations for very long, because they're real happy going down the road. Some trailer designs are just "happier" sitting in one place, but it seems to me that Airstreams are happiest going from place to place, exploring. You know, "See more, do more, live more!"

Finally, lots of Airstreams spend quite a bit of time boondocking, and so are not in traditional campgrounds.

My office looks out on I-75 in Ohio, and every day I will see several going down the road ... and I always wish I could join up and caravan with them instead of working! So keep looking, and you'll find them.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Riveercreek campground in Rutherfordton is where we like to go. Jeff and Cindy are very nice and friendly, of course they are my son's in-laws, but several other forum members have been there and agree. It is near lake Lure and Chimney rock. Their sites are good size and the campground is clean and well care for. The river runs behind it and they have rafting and other sports.

Not a coommercial for them, just a ggood place to go.

Occaionaly they do have airstreams and one person stores theirs there.

Marie
Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My stupid question...

Greetings Pete!

Welcome to the Forums!

Airstreams are a travelers RV -- once you own a coach it will beg you to go somewhere every time you cast your eyes upon it. You have developed an interest in one of my favorite floorplans -- the Overlander. I have owned mine since 1995 and have known it since it was brand new.

The Overlander is of such a size that it is comfortable for a couple or a small family for stays of almost any duration. It has a nice compromise between size and towability -- you can choose almost any campground without worry about its length (there are a few where 24' is the suggested maximum length where the Overlander is a squeeze). It is the second step up in size among the Vintage Airstreams of the 1960s that will have a separate bedroom with beds that do not have to be made up from a lounge -- the Tradewind is the smallest of the 1960s Airstreams that has the separate bedroom with permanent beds. During the typical season, I tow one or the other of my Airstreams 4,000 miles or a bit more.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I do stay in commercial campgrounds much of the time, but usually select them based upon the descriptions found in the various campground directories -- my current favorite is the Trailer Life Campground Directory on CD ROM -- makes finding the nearest campgrounds a dream.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
We are almost finished with our renovations, and then we are going to HIT THE ROAD!!! We can't wait to go camping. and to travel. And see some of this wonderful country that we live in. Can you tell I'm getting excited!. So pull that trigger and buy your dream!

Go for it!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
We camp in state parks and rarely see an Airstream. Now that said I get quite excited and envious when I do see a fine looking AS in a state park!

We are hoping that very soon we'll add to the number of Airstreams in state parks in Michigan!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vero Beach , Florida
Welcome Pete,

Everyone is different and we use our A/S whenever we can. I will spend a weekend at the beach in it, even when I live only 6 miles from the beach. We have spent two weeks in the blue ridge mountains. We use it when visiting family. I also ask "How long is your driveway" when visiting friends. I also like to travel with my dogs and R/V's are the only way to go. I can't wait until I retire in 315 days so we can take some real trips.

Eric
AlumaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
We were last at Hunting Island State Park here in SC a couple months ago and we were one of six Airstreams in the park (of about 150 sites full). We managed to visit with them all and always enjoy talking with and learning from other Airstreamers. The time we were there in December we never saw another one the whole week. You just never know.
It is nice to be among other silver beauties but if you are the only one its ok, too.
WELCOME and good luck!
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
The Airstream Adventure

Greetings Pete,

We bought our '72 AS Sovereign 31' about 1 year ago. We absolutely love it. It tows like a dream, you almost forget its back there. We've stayed at KOA's and private campgrounds mostly. State & Federal ones seem to be good for boon-docking. So it depends on whether you want full hook-ups or are going to go it alone so to speak. There are usually 95% SOB's and maybe 5% AS. But we like being different from the norm, and get asked a lot of questions about our iconic AS. We are the 3rd owners, and originally thought it was in pretty good shape, but after using it it's hard not to want to upgrade and or remodel some aspect to our own tastes, in addition to the usual repairs needed. So far we have replaced the shower valve, kitchen faucet, installed extra new ceiling vent fans, replaced gaucho couch w/ mattress & bolsters to amke a day bed setup, made new curtains, daybed & bolster covers, repacked wheel bearings, added Centramatic balancers, upgraded to new A/C unit, ripped out carpet to install all new vinyl flooring, replaced bath lower panels w/wainscot. That's just the start of the things we plan to eventually change/upgrade. It's kind of an addiction. So realize that when deciding what a good price is to pay for one. This is the first trailer we've owned. My hubby & I camped as kids and when in the scouts, but hadn't done so since we were about 12 yrs young. So it has been an adventure, but to be honest regardless of the new challenges our vacation last summer with our "new to us" '72 AS, it was the most relaxing and enjoyable one we have ever had.

I say go for it, life is too short not to enjoy the here and now.

Good luck in your search, the right AS will find you.

Mary

Below are some links to some good threads to check out.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...eam-48583.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-as-52112.html

(Remember on the portal page, right side you can find a inspector in your area)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/need-a-volunteer-inspector-22956.html
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We have a 68' Be sure to check for soft spots in the floor. Look in the back and make sure the floor is not rotted out. There is always more work on a old AS than you think. I know look here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html

I thought mine was in good shape too.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We just got back from a 10 day trip to West Texas and Southern New Mexico...we stayed at 4 different state parks...each one different and unique from the previous...at the first Texas park we stayed in we were pleased to find 4 other Airstreams there! We even made some new Airstream friends who live in Midland, TX, who were there in their new Bambi... so there are Airstreams out there in the parks...just be patient and you'll find them.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We just got back from an 11 day trip to Florida and throughout the southeast coastal region. During the entire trip I think my wife counted a total of only 5 Airstreams passing on the road. We stay mostly in state parks, and have found it's not unusual to be the only Airstream in the park. One notable exception this trip was in Myrtle Beach State Park, SC, where we were one of three Airstreams in a 302 site campground. We woke up one morning to find one next to us. The day after we got back home, we decided we needed a vacation from our vacation, so we camped at nearby Trap Pond State Park for 3 days, and we were the only silver there.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
The Falluminum rally in Hiawassee,Georgia would be a good rally for you to attend. Check out the thread. The Springstream was our first rally and we had so much fun and met so many great folks. NC has abundant camping. We are going to the Dan Nicholason Park in Sallisbury this week. We will be staying at Cascade Lake for almost two weeks in mid July. You are much closer to the coast, check out Lanier campground in Surf City. There are several all Airstream parks and you can find information on the forum about them. Have fun!