Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Wink My neighbor loves me.....NOT

Well I had to move my Airstreams to the driveway thanks to a neighbor complaint. I complied with village code before the "dead line"

Get another call from village. Still complaining about Airstreams. They were kind enough to point out in there complaint that my deck (I'm almost done) had no railing on it. So village asks if a permit was taken out for it.

So now I am set back further. I guess some just do not like aluminum in large quantities......

Permits have been applied for......

BTY this is a test of new posting too
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking

Bummer, probly not too far behind you, neighbors lookin at us funny. Just moved a 3rd camper in the front yard. I'm working on them! Hey Summers coming!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
What's acceptable ...

In 1983 I bought a new GMC High Sierra 6.2L diesel 4X4 (surburban if you wish). It was beautiful, performed well & a great vehicle until the body rotted off - early.

Anyway, I lived in an up-scale neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and the neighborhood community fathers claimed I couldn't park it at my home because it was a truck ... in 1986 (still beautiful) the valet would not park it at the 'Performance Art Center' during an evening recital. It was a truck and unacceptable.

Now-a-days, many people strive to own their own expensive truck (whoops - SUV) and they are accepted everywhere ... even the H2!

Soooooo, I predict that some day, people (Boomers & others to follow) will soon envy those who have an Airstream in their drive or back/side yard, and strive to follow-the-leaders - again.

Too bad for them, that WE will own all the good one's by then .... and they will be in 'Our Backyard'

The first adventurer down the trail has to clear the path for others to follow!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Get another call from village. Still complaining about Airstreams. They were kind enough to point out in there complaint that my deck (I'm almost done) had no railing on it. So village asks if a permit was taken out for it.
If your deck elevation level is less than 30 inches above the ground most codes will not require a railing. 30 inches or more will require one.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hey tedd

perhaps you could have us "viking bikers from hell" come pay you a visit!

after a week of us in your "hood" your nieghbors would hardly notice them airstreams!

how about vintage harleys roaring up and down the block all hours of the day and night?

waddya think? we could be right down assuming ya gots enough beer!

john
Old 03-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I'm way beyond 30 inches. It is more like 50 inches. Code in these parts is 24 inches.

I'm sorry, but this is a "dry" house. As for the Harley's...that would be cool, but the neighbor in question has a Sporty eith a very loud set of pipes already.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have to agree with driftwood, we will have all the good ones. I have a 1957 SantaFe 12ft trailer, a 1978 Argosy 24ft trailer, a new pontoon boat, 5 dogs, 4 cats a 1952 fully restored Ford stepside pickup, a 2000 Ford pickup, a 2000 Caravan and a new Toyota Tundra tow vehicle in one of the best homes in town and no one gives me any trouble. You see I live right on old Highway 66 in the heart of Oklahoma, Chandler, Oklahoma, where the neighbors are just glad to know you're doing well enough to have all these things. They see me out working on my Argosy and wave and want to know what that big ole trailer is. Want to know if it's one of those Airstreams that's been painted. I of course bore them with all the information about my "baby" that they will listen to, they smile and walk away. We really don't have any neighborhood rules except "if you can't get your lawn mowed my kids can do that for you, just ask them". If any of you plan on cruisin down old route 66, let me know and I'll have a place for you to park and rest under some big old trees. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Angry

ted. i feel your pain......living in burburbia sux cuz you have to deal with a.holes like your neighbor...instead of having a face to face with you and giving you some straight talk,and vice-versa...they call the city and bitch...instead of a temporary situation they think it is to be time immemorial...it is just too bad but thats the way it is.....
good luck, and may a thousand crabs and ticks infest his you know what...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
hey tedd

perhaps you could have us "viking bikers from hell" come pay you a visit!

after a week of us in your "hood" your nieghbors would hardly notice them airstreams!
ya hey!...john and i will show up...and we will bring some (what the heck is the name of that non-a beer for you) and the good stuff for us...maybe even show up with them horn type hats and what else is needed to insure that your "neighbor" will never bother you again....
ya! we will drink adult beverages and force lutefisk down his throat!...

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We feel your pain, too! Here in Angel Fire, the village outlawed parking RVs in driveways, but now they want to extend the rule to us here at the RV park: We're being asked to shield the WHOLE park from view so people won't have to see the horrible tourist RVs that are parked here (of course, including our Airstream). Slobs.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Stay strong, man! You'll outlast them!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
"smoke on the water".......

Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
being asked to shield the WHOLE park from view so people won't have to see the horrible tourist RVs that are parked here (of course, including our Airstream). Slobs.
how bout a sign saying...this fence brought to you by our city fathers... please do not patronize their business's

Old 03-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
how bout a sign saying...this fence brought to you by our city fathers... please do not patronize their business's
Norby, I'll see your fence, and raise you a hedge... One of the cities around here does not allow the businesses to be seen from the street, no signs, everything must be concealed behind trees and bushes. God only knows how anyone there can find anything...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That must be horrible for people looking for a business!

Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by all the rules we have to obey on our own personal property. And we don't even have a neighborhood association! We have 20 ft setbacks from the neighbors, a 30 ft easement, andother 50ft setback beyond that (for a total of 80ft from the private road we live on)! Then we have a drainage swale running through the middle of our property, and we can't cross it or touch the ground within 10 ft of either side of it (unless we want to plant native approved plants). So much of our three acres is untouchable we're forced into the back corner of it, with hardly any room to build a shop!

It's like they say, you don't own property, you rent it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Wow, and I thought I had it rough an my 50 x 100 here in p-town. I have a boat, car, the AS, my other trailer and my p/u. No one has said anything yet. I am waiting......lol
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Remind us to visit your neighbor when we come up. He just needs to learn the error of his ways. If he has any appreciation of vintage bikes, he can learn to appreciate vintage trailers. We could ride but it's pretty darn difficult to haul many parts on the bikes.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
That must be horrible for people looking for a business!

Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by all the rules we have to obey on our own personal property. we have a drainage swale running through the middle of our property, and we can't cross it or touch the ground within 10 ft of either side of it (unless we want to plant native approved plants).

wow! do the indians really tell you what you can plant?....

Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
'm liking the idea of Lutifisk down the throat.......

Money's are being set aside for a 6 foot fence on the property line to keep his nose out of my yard. I admit that it is a work in progress, but with my budget and kids, things move a little slower then our 20 GHz world. My place is a "lived in" kind of place. No postcard views here. I'm sorry that the original lady moved out she loved camping and the west.

Thanks for the word of encouragement and the views of the rest of the country. Maybe it is time for a mini bike rally on my block......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Wrong Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
ya hey!...ya! we will drink adult beverages and force lutefisk down his throat!...

I hate to burst your bubble, but Lutefisk is out of season.

Of course there might be "unspoiled" Christmas leftovers.. lye never actually REALLY spoils. does it?
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote