Old 03-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
operating condition

Another thought; Tedd, OUR city zoning says the RV that is allowed to park for an unlimited time must be in operating condition.

Your troubles might be because you are trying to fix them up, plus you have more than one in inoperable condition.

Just a thought.

A fence is the way to go, if possible. But you should check on that within the city ordinances,, because an irate neighbor might STILL cause you grief.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #30
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Interesting detail in our case. We installed two sections of PCV privacy fencing as a ten foot wide, six foot high gate on our driveway next to the house. This allowed us to pull the Airstream down the driveway and alongside the house (behind the foundation line) making us more than compliant (the law simply says behind the "build line" of the foundation - no fencing was required).

Since the Airstream is just about ten feet high and our driveway slopes down from front to back, this left a little better than three feet exposed above the fence.

Initially when we received some complaints we offered to raise the fence height by installing an additional two feet of PVC lattice to obscure all but the very top of the Airstream. However, once we researched this further we discovered that there was another city ordinance limiting the height of a privacy fence to six feet.

I guess sometimes you can't be considerate and still be compliant!

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Here in sunny Florida the local county (Pinellas) is currently holding hearings to determine whether or not there should be restrictions on parking RV's in your yard. I'm in a condo for the winter season and my Airstream is in an approved storage yard - but I hate to see this issue being raised for "unincorporated" county property. If you move into one of the umpteen million new subdivisions being built in Florida you at least have no one to blame but yourself if you fail to read the covenants - but to impose new restrictive regulations on current property Owners is a bunch of bull! I can't wait to get back to the wilds of Maine or, per the State motto, "The way life should be!"

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #32
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Our city has a fairly new ordinance that prohibits parking trailers and boats on the street for more that 48 hours. We live a couple blocks from the columbia river - and almost all our neighbors own boats. RVs parked in drives cannot be closeer than 10 feet to the curb. Last year they started enforcing and they regulalry came through the neighborhood with a tape measure and citation book. We drew a line on our pad (measured of course) with one foot increments back to 10 feet. We chose our minuet because it was one of the few TTs that would fit on the driveway pad and meet the citys code requirements. Now they just walk on by. I figure the next step is to disallow rv parking at all........

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
I have a saying and i live by it.
If you want to control what happens on a piece of property buy it or shut your mouth. other people should have no say it what i do with my property. I guess I would let someone tell me what i can do if they wanted to pay my taxes.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Angry International Building MAINTENANCE Code

Well, my fair city just last night, passed this abomination complete with some 'improvements' for our town. The 'improvements' deal primarily with parking.
Now we will be able to park no more than four vehicles outside a garage, as long as they are on a hard surface, paving, or gravel.
What is a 'vehicle', you ask? Cars, of course, trucks, motor homes, snowmobiles, motorcycles, RV's, boats, and trailers!
We are confined by code to no more than 30% of the bare land area, or 900 square feet, of out buildings..... garages, potting sheds, or storage buildings.
We own, license, insure, and drive, numerous vehicles. Three, or is it four? pick ups, a full sized van, a mini van, my convertible, a welding utility truck, two motorcycles, a john boat with trailer, our Airstream, and various utility trailers that number five! A grand total of eighteen 'vehicles' per city code! Where are we supposed to put them? Granted, many are kept in another location we own, a piece of commercial property, but our yard is enclosed by a six foot privacy fence, so our excesses are not causing any visual pollution, or health or safety issue. But I just know I'm gonna get whacked by this code..... just know it. and I want to! I want to go to court over this one!
And for the rest of you, if a RV is over four foot in height, you may not park it in a side yard!
If your city is looking to adopt this thing, the International Building Maintenance Code, do everything you can to fight it!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Madder than hell and leaving with my Airstream for two and a half weeks of vacation! On Thursday!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our neighbors have anonomously called complaints into code enforcement about our home business (not the AS), and to the fire dept about us not mowing our field. So we don't know who's doing the complaining. But both enforcement officers were very nice, found us to be in line with the laws, and when we explained that we seem to have a neighbor who dislikes us, he said that's what he spends his whole day doing. Most of his complaints are just neighborhood wars. What a waste of our tax money! And since the calls were anonymous, it's not like we can go talk to them face to face and find out what their real problem is. Just the way it is I guess.

When I was a kid, my grandma knew all her neighbors, they looked out for each other, and I knew every house on our block that was safe to go to if I needed help. That's how neighborhoods should be! People thinking their world is being turned upside down because a neighbor brought an RV home is just insane!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
A grand total of eighteen 'vehicles' per city code! Where are we supposed to put them?
We are in an unincorporated area outside of Battle Ground, which is a small rural town with tack shops and feed stores, but a couple years ago the city passed a law saying no one within city limits could have more than three dogs - period. People with more dogs were told to get rid of them or move out of the city - even if they had never had a complaint! The lady who used to pet-sit for us was fighting it because she had eight dogs, no complaints, and didn't intend to give any up or move. I think she finally moved.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #37
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Cool Lutifisk/Lutefisk

For the sake of ol' southern boy, what in the name of Aunt LuLu's drawers is a Lutifisk?

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #38
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
the city passed a law saying no one within city limits could have more than three dogs - period.
How far off are they from limiting the number of children that are allowed on your property?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
And then I had this other thought, Tedd...Perhaps we could haul Icky and Hunkajunk up for a "visit"...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know with all the psydo type aliases out there for folks (screen names, email, text messaging, private complaint systems where folks that have problems don't talk) I guess I'm not shocked that things are the way they are. I mean back when most of this alias crap wasn't there, folks knew you and you knew them. Issues could be resolved because there was no secret complaint system or a text message to blast out.

It just seems like such a waste and a classic case of progress actually going in the opposite direction.....

As for the RV issue when folks bring them home. I've been on several different sides of the fence on this one. As kids we had it in our drive (not a small drive and very wooded). One neighbor complained and of course you all know the rest of how that goes. Later living in an area that a few folks felt was a demilitarized zone. Crap everywhere. So a few bad apples spoiled it for the bunch.

Until recently, we kept our Airstream in our driveway (deep drive). All the neighbors thought it was cool. Lots of them came over to look inside. I am very lucky to have the neighbors that I do. Great bunch of folks. But it only takes one of them to move out or on and life could take a whole different turn.

The bottom line as I see it is that everything is good in moderation (except for a few things that we need not talk about here ). Keeping toys in the yard on the drive brings some level of responsibility, though if you have a Mrs. Cravitz (like on the TV show Bewitched) you could have a 24k gold plated Airstream in the drive and be very tasteful and they would complain cause it's just too shiney. I've found that a good portion of it is just jealous based lashing out for perceived shortcomings....I can't have it, why should you.

Don't let the bastards get you down Till. Follow the rules to the letter and there is little that the neighbor can do. Getting into a pissing contest isn't the solution, though it can be the first knee jerk reaction. Just smile and be happy..... in most cases that let's those folks know that they haven't accomplished much at all and you'll be shocked to see how many more miles you'll get out of that than to look at them funny and scratch your head, maybe even say a few sharp comments... how's that saying go.....

Little fish in big ocean makes tiny waves.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Gross Out Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
For the sake of ol' southern boy, what in the name of Aunt LuLu's drawers is a Lutifisk?
Read this:

http://www.sofn.com/norwegianculture.../Lutefisk.html

All you Norskies, Swedes and other sorts of Scandinavians can correct me if you wish :-)
Old 03-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #42
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Don't ask! It's a Scandinavian thing.

Or your could do a forum search, we've discussed it previously. HeHe.