Old 03-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That must be horrible for people looking for a business!

Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by all the rules we have to obey on our own personal property. And we don't even have a neighborhood association! We have 20 ft setbacks from the neighbors, a 30 ft easement, andother 50ft setback beyond that (for a total of 80ft from the private road we live on)! Then we have a drainage swale running through the middle of our property, and we can't cross it or touch the ground within 10 ft of either side of it (unless we want to plant native approved plants). So much of our three acres is untouchable we're forced into the back corner of it, with hardly any room to build a shop!

It's like they say, you don't own property, you rent it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Wow, and I thought I had it rough an my 50 x 100 here in p-town. I have a boat, car, the AS, my other trailer and my p/u. No one has said anything yet. I am waiting......lol

Old 03-08-2005, 06:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Remind us to visit your neighbor when we come up. He just needs to learn the error of his ways. If he has any appreciation of vintage bikes, he can learn to appreciate vintage trailers. We could ride but it's pretty darn difficult to haul many parts on the bikes.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
That must be horrible for people looking for a business!

Personally, I'm pretty annoyed by all the rules we have to obey on our own personal property. we have a drainage swale running through the middle of our property, and we can't cross it or touch the ground within 10 ft of either side of it (unless we want to plant native approved plants).

wow! do the indians really tell you what you can plant?....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
'm liking the idea of Lutifisk down the throat.......

Money's are being set aside for a 6 foot fence on the property line to keep his nose out of my yard. I admit that it is a work in progress, but with my budget and kids, things move a little slower then our 20 GHz world. My place is a "lived in" kind of place. No postcard views here. I'm sorry that the original lady moved out she loved camping and the west.

Thanks for the word of encouragement and the views of the rest of the country. Maybe it is time for a mini bike rally on my block......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Wrong Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
ya hey!...ya! we will drink adult beverages and force lutefisk down his throat!...

I hate to burst your bubble, but Lutefisk is out of season.

Of course there might be "unspoiled" Christmas leftovers.. lye never actually REALLY spoils. does it?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
ya, ya...thats the ticket

we will stuff lutefisk down his gullet until he hollers TEDD!
lutefisk isnt just for christmas anymore!

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
how bout a sign saying...this fence brought to you by our city fathers... please do not patronize their business's
Yeah, I wish! Alas, our city fathers don't have any businesses and don't care to hear what the local business owners have to say. I wish I could say that their days in office were numbered.

Oh, heck. It's been a long, long winter season, and maybe we're just tired and not seeing things properly. Wish we could say that we could just hitch up the Airstream and get away for a while, but that's not going to happen this time (family obligations).

Lynn
Old 03-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
'm liking the idea of Lutifisk down the throat.......

. Maybe it is time for a mini bike rally on my block......
ya hey!.. i luv it!...picture if you will a bunch of old beer gut bikers with old faded tattoos and long grey beards and viking helmuts rolling in on pep boys scooters all the while zz top is blasting away....wow!...sometimes my imagination overwhelms me....this could be the basis for a new laugh-in show!....da da da,da da da.....very interesting, but schtupid.....artie has a new career...

Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
We feel your pain, too! Here in Angel Fire, the village outlawed parking RVs in driveways, but now they want to extend the rule to us here at the RV park: We're being asked to shield the WHOLE park from view so people won't have to see the horrible tourist RVs that are parked here (of course, including our Airstream). Slobs.
The RV industry needs to get more involved in these issues by providing legal assistance.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #25
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Stay strong, man! You'll outlast them!
I agree with Stef. Hang in there. About a year ago, we ran into neighbor problems about owning an Airstream let alone storing it.

Since then the complainers have moved away. All of the new neighbors bought their houses knowing (seeing) our Airstream. Most of them like it and even hang out in it with me when it's at the house.

We win!

One recommendation; educate yourselves on the local HOA rules and city ordinances. Many times city ordinances are already in place and are more open minded and reasonable than HOA rules, which are often left open to the interpretation of the enforcers.

Sometimes, just a fence or a relocation to the backyard is all that is needed to comply.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
The RV industry needs to get more involved in these issues by providing legal assistance.
Yes, ARVC will help (with advice, not representation) if you pay them enough. It's ultimately cheaper just to build the village-required screening!

Lynn
Old 03-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

I have a neighbor that complains about every little thing on my property. Our lots are about 100x200' lots. She still complains.
I brought my 1976 Argosy 24 out of storage last spring. I parked it on my mother's spare lot next to her house and across the street from my house. Believe it or not the b%$th next door to me called the Zoning Dept. the very next day about it! The zoning officer said that we had ten days before it had to be moved. She then said that she was pretty sure someone was living in it. She did that because she knew it would be gone before the ten days. The zoning officer and I have been on a first-name basis for awhile now. He called me and asked if anyone was living in the trailer.
I have since had my lawyer contact my neighbor. He informed her that if I were to receive another nuisance complaint that the zoning department is to inform him and I am fully justified in taking any legal action I wish.....
The calls have stopped and a new hedge is going up this spring. Problem solved.
If you are within your city's legal requirements and you are still being harassed then you can fight it.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
City Zoning

We live in a very lah-de-dah neighborhood of Rockford, Il.. actually we have four old, established neighborhoods in a sqaure, in and around us.

Someone around here is on a zoning vendetta, because they called in a complaint on our FURNITURE trailer.. a small one we use for the shop.

Our Alderman tells me that we can have an RV in the driveway all summer (or year) long, but NO furniture trailers (small utility) that are unhooked from a vehicle.

We poured a slab of concrete alongside our garage specifically for that trailer SIX YEARS AGO.

We simply moved the trailer to our shop parking lot, three blocks away, which IS legal.

Some people need to find something else to do with their time.