For those of you who follow the "Interesting Craigslist Finds" thread, you may have seen that I recently acquired a cache of Airstream parts from a Camping World dealership in Meridian, Idaho. Todd's Aquisition
Well, I grabbed my pup Ellie, hopped in the F-150 rental truck I had (Sequoia is in the body shop) and headed off to Idaho. Somewhere outside of Winnemucca I really questioned the wisdom of this acquisition.... We're talking 10+ hours of driving (each way) for a collection of old Airstream parts. If not for old episodes of TheVap
(on my Ipod) and a book on CD that my sister-in-law picked up for me at the library, I would have gone stir crazy.
On the road I saw an early 80s Caravelle or Excella II (the 22ft narrow body model) traveling the opposite direction (I flashed my lights & waved) and an early 90's 21ft Sovereign
parked along side of someones home - I REALLY LIKE THOSE TRAILERS!
Long story short, I managed to fit all of the parts into the backseat area and bed of the F-150 (see below). Dave Hemry, the service director at Camping World was a HUGE help in getting me quickly loaded up and on the road.
The positives of this trip:
- Great roadtrip though the beautiful high desert expanses of Nevada, south eastern Oregon and Idaho
- Had an opportunity to visit with my X and her kids
- Got a great deal on a whole bunch of Airstream parts
- A whole lot of driving (10hrs out & 11hrs back)
- Most of the parts are for trailers newer than mine or are parts I don't need
All in all, I have no regrets, but I hope to be able to recoup the costs of acquisition and recovery, put a few parts to use on my GT and sell the rest off to those who may need them (at substantial discounts of course).
For those curious, after unloading the bed of the truck I have the following:
- #21 segment bright
- #29 segment bright
- fiberglass wheel wells (qty 2)
- skylight dome (not sure of vintage)
- large wood table
- structural ribs (not sure what vintage)
- 70s era side window (frame dims 30.75" X 22.5" approx)
- 2 sets segment protector rock guards
- 1 roll aluminum 4'3" X 18' (approx)
- 1 60s vintage smoke plexi front window rock guard
- 2 sets composite (aluminum with shaped plastic lower) segment protector rock guards