Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
My Fancy Dancy Blue/Chrome Mods On My 75th Prototype Propane Tank Cover

Hi everyone...

I'm in the process of adding a little bit of blue to my 75th Anniversary Prototype to further match my tow vehicle, a blue over silver SSR...

I added a little bit of blue/chrome trim and some vintage Airstream signs to my A/C cover a couple of years ago, and it really made the trailer pop a bit...that off white giant cover just wasn't happenin'. Here is a thread I made back then about it: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/my-fancy-dancy-a-c-shroud-mods-on-my-75th-prototype-66018.html

Here is what it looks like:

I also at the time installed a 50's Airstream logo to my propane tank cover, which helped a little:

Well, I always have intended to do a little more...but work and time hasn't always seen eye to eye. I finally got around to adding a little more chrome and blue to the propane tank cover...my goal was to match the trim around the A/C shroud, and the goal for the A/C shroud was to pay homage to the 70's A/C units with their aluminum/blue trim around the beltline and to the 80's units with the Airstream logo up there. So, basically, I wanted the propane tank cover to tie in to that. I used "Cowles Products" chrome trim, which is the manufacturer of the beltline and rubrail trim on current Airstreams, and TrimBrite "Prostripe Medium Blue" pinstriping tape which is an exact match for the blue used on the vintage reproduction logos.

I used the 1" Cowles chrome trim around the bottom of the propane tank cover (exactly the same product that Airstream uses for the rubrail trim), with 1/4" Cowles chrome trim around the 1" trim (to be similar to the trailer's rubrail design). I used Trimbrite "Prostripe" medium blue pinstriping tape in 3/8" width (I would prefer 1/2" but couldn't find it in stock). I like the fact that this new trim is in the same place and style as the rubrail trim on the trailer, as I always loved those Airstream trailers with wide sidewall stripes where the stripe motif would also be continued on the propane tank covers...I always liked that attention to detail. So, I wanted to do a similar thing at the bottom of the tank cover, in the same place as the rubrail trim on the trailer...paying a little homage obliquely to the Airstreams of the past.

I wanted to continue this "blue stripes around the propane cover" idea but I couldn't on the main aluminum body of the propane cover as my trailer doesn't have any wide stripes that would correspond to such an idea. So, I quasi-sorta continued the "blue around the cover" idea by putting two "Custom" emblems from Vintage Trailer Supply on each side of the tank cover, centered in the middle of the "Airstream" logo on the front...kind of creating an "invisible" blue line ghost stripe around the cover where the logos are as they are all in-line around the perimeter of the cover. I think the "Custom" logos are effective in keeping with David Winick's "75th Custom" emblem on the side of the trailer in that he used these original 50's "Custom" emblems for the design of his logo. And, being the prototype, the trailer truly is custom...so the 50's logos fit the overall theme. And, they add a bit of blue...and I like the way they look.

I added the 1/2" chrome Cowles trim to the top gray plastic lid of the propane cover, which is 1/8" less wide than the factory beltline trim (which actually measures 5/8" even though Airstream lists it as 1/2") on the trailer...otherwise it is exactly the same chrome product but it fits better in the ledge area of the gray plastic lid. I used 1/4" TrimBrite "Prostripe" pinstriping tape down the center of the chrome, again in Medium Blue. It looks nice mounted on the dark gray top cover, which was just a bit drab. I also polished the front rivets.

I don't have any really good pics of it yet, and I haven't had a chance to go to my storage and put it on to see what it looks like on my trailer. But, I was excited so I took some cameraphone pics...

Basically I'm going to continue this "add a little blue" motif on the trailer in the same way. My plan is to use the 1/2" medium blue Prostripe pinstriping tape centered in the 1" chrome trim of the rubrail all the way around the trailer (pretty much the same as what I did to the bottom of the propane tank cover). I also plan on doing the same thing with 1/4" medium blue tape centered on the 5/8" beltline chrome all the way around the trailer, which will tie in nicely with the trim I installed on the top of the propane cover lid. The medium blue over the chrome gives a near optical illusion in that it doesn't look on "top" of the chrome but "inside" it, if that makes any sense. It really makes the little bit of blue pop.

The last blue mod I'm doing is the wheels. I'm adding Centramatics from Andy. I've purchased new 16" Dexstar steel rims, and I actually found stainless steel baby moons that fit those wheels (Phoenix USA 1309SS) that don't dent when putting them on. I'm painting the rims with Rustoleum Sail Blue (it pops a bit better than Royal Blue) and then I'll install ribbed stainless trim rings (that don't cover the rim edges; the outer 1/2" of the rim will stay blue) which are available nearly anywhere online, and they fit the Dexstar rims perfectly. I'm going with Michelin XPS Rib tires, 225/75/16, and I'm purchasing them through DiamondBack Tires where they will have custom blue lines and whitewalls added. I'm going with a 1 1/2" wide whitewall, but there will be 1/2" of black between the blue edge of the rim and the whitewall. Then, next to the outer edge of the whitewall will be the dual bluelines, which will be appropriately spaced with about 3/8" of black between them. The tires haven't come in yet, and I'm working on the rims now. I may add some small blue "Airstream" lettering centered over each wheelwell, but I haven't finalized the design yet of how I want to do it...

It's always fun to customize your custom Airstream!!!

Jeff
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

1968 22' Safari
I'm going to be installing some "Airstream" logos centered over each of my wheelwells. I chose the logos from the Sport trailers; the all chrome plastic letter ones. I wanted the centers of the letters blue, and I wanted them to match the Prostripe medium blue color. Well, my local sign shop acted as if this was impossible to do...I figured they could just scan the logos and laser cut some letters to fit the on the chrome plastic letters, leaving the chrome edges. Seems like being a sign shop, this would be simple for them. But, of course not...they acted as if they never heard such a request. The owner even said, "That's a lotta cuttin'...I don't want that job." I don't get it...this is what they do. Anyhoo, after pleading with them to "try" they made me some letters. Of course they didn't have the exact color so I chose a Scotchcal color that's a bit brighter but it "pops" good. And, the logos are going to be mounted close to the ground, mainly to bring out the blue of my rims and bluelines on my tires...so it should work.

I installed the letters they made, and it was a *****. They didn't make me matching letters per se (I guess that was too hard) so they found a "close" font. All the letters they made fit inside the chrome pretty well...only the "R" is really off, the "M" is somewhat off, and the "S" isn't perfect. But, the others are fine. I had to do some trimming with a razor blade, but I got the blue vinyl installed and they look good. No one will notice the blue vinyl isn't perfectly shaped to the originals, but then again the sign shop only charged me $20 and gave me an extra set of letters. The letters will be close to the ground, and they do what I wanted...add a little blue to the trailer while recalling the 70's Airstream lettering of the past. I think it will look good. Here are a couple bad phone pics of the letters with the blue vinyl just installed...

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WOW!

I really, really like the A/C shroud!! That's on my list -- high on my list -- for the next TT with dual A/C units.

I've no idea yet about the LPG tank cover, but this thread is

Bookmarked.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You definitely know how to "bling out" a trailer lol. Luv it, and no one will ever ask "What was that trailer? ".
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

1968 22' Safari
Thanks everybody!!!

I hope to have the "Airstream" lettering installed over the wheelwells sometime this week...although it's going to take a few weeks for my tires to be customized at DiamondBack. I'm going to paint the steel portions of the wheelwells while I'm under there, and I'll put a thin blue pinstripe along the flat area of the wheelwell trim.

I painted the rims today with Rustoleum Sail Blue spraypaint. Talk about "POP"!!! The color matches both the letters above in this thread (which are a tiny bit brighter) and my Prostripe Medium Blue pinstriping tape, which is a tad bit richer. But, with the baby moons and trim rings (and the fact that the baby moons are HUGE on a 16" rim...12" across the hubcap!) there isn't much blue at all on the rim that will actually show...so the blue I chose HAD to "pop" as I wanted it to stand out.

I have to say that the Rustoleum is amazing paint. It goes on very well, very consistently, and building up coats thickens the paint to look like you could swim in it...all without needing clearcoat or polishing. Of course this Rustoleum takes forever to dry, but fast drying paints that dry as you spray them turn out splotchy and are hard to get a consistent gloss without clearcoating, sanding and polishing. But, these are just wheels, and with so little blue that will eventually show in my case, who wants to put all that time in clearing, sanding, buffing, and polishing WHEELS? Not me...the Rustoleum was nearly foolproof. Of course an entire corner of my yard is covered with blue thick-ish overspray (one of the things that makes the paint work so well). I wish I could bake the rims (baking Rustoleum enamel turns out GREAT) but my oven isn't large enough for the 16" wheel to fit. So, it will have to cure for a few days. That's fine as my tires won't be here for a while...

Here are a couple pics of how the Rustoleum Sail Blue "pops" and coats smoothly, thick, and amazingly consistent:

Hope to get some more done this week...

Jeff
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up Very cool rig gg!!!

Airstream carries stainless steel upgrades you may want to consider.

And I can't help picturing the center panel of your Winick Prototype painted blue like on your SSR.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

1968 22' Safari
Oh nooooooo that would be TOO much blue!!! Ha ha I'm trying to add just a smidgen of blue here and there...

Regarding the stainless steel accessories, I'm adding the water heater cover with rivets (I may or may not add rubrail molding to the bottom of it if I can get it to look right). I MIGHT add the two stainless fridge covers, but I'm probably going to add the standard aluminum louvered Airstream ones that are on most of the trailers as I like the way they look a bit better than the stainless ones...but the stainless ones will be easier to install...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I want to get RID of the blue stripes on my trailer. What I really love are the skyline windows on your Winick! That extra glass area must be really nice.
Funny, but the original owners of my trailer purchased a Dodge pickup as a tow vehicle because it was the same color as the blue stripe on the Airstream. They would only sell them as a package because of that, so we had to buy both, and then sold the truck to a neighbor. My red Sprinter really isn't a match - maybe I should paint it?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

1968 22' Safari
Blue just seems to go with Airstreams. If my truck didn't match so well I wouldn't be adding all the little blue touches.

The vistaview windows are REALLY nice. There is one in the bathroom on the 75th...an odd place for one, but on the roadside exterior both window arrangements match.

I do wish there was more outside light inside the 75th. There is a big blank wall on the curbside next to the existing 3 window arrangement...nothing inside, and no ribs in the way. I may have Jackson Center install another 3 window arrangement right next to the existing one if they will fit. I've always liked the look of Airstreams that have twin matching window arrangements right next to each other, especially on the rear sides. If the 3 window arrangement won't fit, I may have another porthole window installed there...in line with the one on the door, of course. I'm also contemplating adding a porthole centered between my two roadside windows, which on the interior would place it pretty much centered over my stove/oven. Once again on my trailer that wall is bare...a big old slab of nothingness. I'm thinking another porthole would look great there, and provide more outside light.

Haven't decided for sure yet...

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

1968 22' Safari
Got my lettering all centered and mounted over the wheelwells, along with a thin blue pinstripe along the wheelwell molding...

And...got my Michelin XPS Rib tires in, modified by DiamondBack tires with a wide whitewall and dual bluelines...they look amazing! Can't wait to mount them on my blue rims with the stainless baby moons and trim rings...

WooHoo!!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Beautiful!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #12

1968 22' Safari
Finally got my tires and rims installed!!! WooHoo...it's been alot of work.

With the damn humidity down here in Louisiana that Rustoleum Sail Blue paint (which I LOVE the color of) never dried correctly on my rims. I spent 8 hours just STRIPPING them, sanding them, and prepping/priming them for repaint (the first of TWO repaints). I repainted them, again, with the Rustoleum-thinking it was possibly something wrong with the cans of paint that I used. The Rustoleum just wouldn't dry properly...spiderwebs would appear after about 3 days. Usually spiderwebs are an indication of too thick paint, but that was not the case...ESPECIALLY not the 2nd time I painted them. I purposely left the coats thin, followed all proper directions for coating/recoating...EXCEPT the humidity. You just can't escape it down here.

Anyway, the SECOND time I painted them, the damn Rustoleum did the same thing. After a few days, spiderwebs appeared. Even with thin coats...the paint was just a gummy mess. So, I had to spend ANOTHER 8 hours stripping them with Aircraft stripper, which turned the Rustoleum into a thick goo...the paint didn't just lift as is common with chemical stripper. So, the next step was to use steel wool soaked in paint thinner and/or stripper (with gloves of course) and rub. And rub. And rub. And rub some more. And wonder if you have any skin on your finger tips. And rub. Then, after that, sand the entire rims smooth and prime them...

So, I had to paint them a third time. This time, I used Dupli-Color ceramic engine enamel, in regular Ford Blue with no clear coat (I didn't use clear the previous two times either). The Dupli-Color Ford Blue is similar to the Rustoleum Sail Blue, but it has an itty bitty tinge of a slight yellow hue to it. The Rustoleum has more of a true ever-so-slight purply-blue tint to it. The Rustoleum matches my pinstripes and Airstream logos perfectly...the Dupli-Color Ford Blue is just a tiny bit darker and as I stated a tiny tiny bit yellower. The Duplicolor doesn't cover as thick or as even as the Rustoleum, and it doesn't create the beautiful smooth deep-glass finish right out of the can that the Rustoleum does, but it DRIES. I just couldn't get the Rustoleum to dry down here in this humidity...the Dupli-Color was close enough in color, and it dried hard and quick. I mildly hand-polished them, and had my tires installed and balanced.

I installed them tonight. I love the way they look. I am REALLY happy. The tires, again are Michelin XPS Ribs in a 225/75/16, customized by DiamondBack Tires with a 1.5" whitewall and dual blue lines. The blue lines are the exact same color as my pinstripes (and the Rustoleum Sail Blue, sadly). The stripes on the tires take away some of the HUGENESS of these tires.

The trim rings are stainless steel, ribbed. The hubcaps are PhoenixUSA 1309SS also in stainless steel. They fit the 16" Dexstar rims with ease...no denting, no forcing. I also installed Centramatics from Andy while I was at it.

Here are some pics of the rims and tires. Talk about POP!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Everything looks great! I love the tires and the rims. I can't help but wonder if my husband would like me to add that to his "to-do" list. I bet not...his list is to long right now.
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Sweet!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Nicely tripped out !!! Wendy
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Are those baby moons other than China made? After immediately bending a pair on our Bambi II resto, I've searched unsuccessfully for sturdier ones.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #17

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Are those baby moons other than China made? After immediately bending a pair on our Bambi II resto, I've searched unsuccessfully for sturdier ones.
Yep, they are made in china. But, they aren't regular chrome steel; they are actual stainless. The regular baby moons rust right away, and the ones that fit the 15" rims from Excalibur don't really fit. You have to pound them on, and they surely dent with the least bit of pressure. And, when you THINK they are on as tight as you can get them, they fall off.

The 1309SS is a huge hubcap, over 12" diameter to fit the 16" rim. They snap right on with no force needed, so there is absolutely no risk of denting them. PhonixUSA also makes a 1307SS stainless baby moon that looks like it MAY fit the 15" rims, but I can't be sure of that as I have 16" rims. I called PhoenixUSA and got exact dimensions before I purchased to be sure they would fit the 16" rims. They were very helpful...although they sent the 1307SS hubcaps the first time by mistake. A couple calls and they sent out the proper 1309SS caps for the 16" rims.

I have been looking for months for a stainless baby moon that fit and didn't dent or rust. I still can't believe I found one...but the 1309SS seems like the real deal for 16" rims.

Hope this helps!
Jeff
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
What I need are 10 1/8 i.d caps to fit 14 inch wheels. I turned up some stainless ones but in every case the dealers said "Sorry none for 14" wheels".
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #19

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
What I need are 10 1/8 i.d caps to fit 14 inch wheels. I turned up some stainless ones but in every case the dealers said "Sorry none for 14" wheels".
I would call PhoenixUSA directly and ask them, as I did, to physically grab and measure the inner diameter of the 1307SS hubcap. Online, I have found that the 1307SS is listed as having an inner diameter of 10 1/8" as well as 10 1/4". So, it would be best to call and check (and don't let them just read the catalog to you), as I found similar discrepancies regarding the 1309SS specifications online. PhonixUSA literally grabbed one and measured it for me while I was on the phone. Initially everyone told me that the 1309SS would not fit my 16" rims...just as they told you. However, you must go by the actual measurements; and, sometimes the published measurements are WRONG. That's why I had to get someone on the phone who could tell me for sure what the actual inner diameter was, and it was spot on. The 1309SS is actually marketed for semi wheels, but it works perfectly for the Dexstar 16" steel wheel. But, my point is that dealers and manufacturers may sometimes tell you very forcefully that something will not work or fit when in fact it may work/fit perfectly as in the case with the 1309SS/16" rims. The only way to be sure is to actually measure. But, if the 1307SS is a HAIR too big, you can always put a tiny dab of RTV on the nubs and the cap will be held securely, will still be easy to get off, and it will be loose enough so that you won't dent it by installing it.

Hope this helps...
Jeff
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Finally found some baby moons that work from American Racing equipment. Still made in China, but a better quality than my first ones. The directions for installation were specific. Plus I put a dollop of grease on each wheel nub. They went on with a satisfying click.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-435711082.png
Views:	121
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	160013