1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Nicely tripped out !!! Wendy

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Are those baby moons other than China made? After immediately bending a pair on our Bambi II resto, I've searched unsuccessfully for sturdier ones.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Are those baby moons other than China made? After immediately bending a pair on our Bambi II resto, I've searched unsuccessfully for sturdier ones.
Yep, they are made in china. But, they aren't regular chrome steel; they are actual stainless. The regular baby moons rust right away, and the ones that fit the 15" rims from Excalibur don't really fit. You have to pound them on, and they surely dent with the least bit of pressure. And, when you THINK they are on as tight as you can get them, they fall off.

The 1309SS is a huge hubcap, over 12" diameter to fit the 16" rim. They snap right on with no force needed, so there is absolutely no risk of denting them. PhonixUSA also makes a 1307SS stainless baby moon that looks like it MAY fit the 15" rims, but I can't be sure of that as I have 16" rims. I called PhoenixUSA and got exact dimensions before I purchased to be sure they would fit the 16" rims. They were very helpful...although they sent the 1307SS hubcaps the first time by mistake. A couple calls and they sent out the proper 1309SS caps for the 16" rims.

I have been looking for months for a stainless baby moon that fit and didn't dent or rust. I still can't believe I found one...but the 1309SS seems like the real deal for 16" rims.

Hope this helps!
Jeff
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
What I need are 10 1/8 i.d caps to fit 14 inch wheels. I turned up some stainless ones but in every case the dealers said "Sorry none for 14" wheels".
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #19

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
What I need are 10 1/8 i.d caps to fit 14 inch wheels. I turned up some stainless ones but in every case the dealers said "Sorry none for 14" wheels".
I would call PhoenixUSA directly and ask them, as I did, to physically grab and measure the inner diameter of the 1307SS hubcap. Online, I have found that the 1307SS is listed as having an inner diameter of 10 1/8" as well as 10 1/4". So, it would be best to call and check (and don't let them just read the catalog to you), as I found similar discrepancies regarding the 1309SS specifications online. PhonixUSA literally grabbed one and measured it for me while I was on the phone. Initially everyone told me that the 1309SS would not fit my 16" rims...just as they told you. However, you must go by the actual measurements; and, sometimes the published measurements are WRONG. That's why I had to get someone on the phone who could tell me for sure what the actual inner diameter was, and it was spot on. The 1309SS is actually marketed for semi wheels, but it works perfectly for the Dexstar 16" steel wheel. But, my point is that dealers and manufacturers may sometimes tell you very forcefully that something will not work or fit when in fact it may work/fit perfectly as in the case with the 1309SS/16" rims. The only way to be sure is to actually measure. But, if the 1307SS is a HAIR too big, you can always put a tiny dab of RTV on the nubs and the cap will be held securely, will still be easy to get off, and it will be loose enough so that you won't dent it by installing it.

Hope this helps...
Jeff
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Finally found some baby moons that work from American Racing equipment. Still made in China, but a better quality than my first ones. The directions for installation were specific. Plus I put a dollop of grease on each wheel nub. They went on with a satisfying click.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-435711082.png
Views:	45
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	160013  
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Extraordinary work!!!

A couple questions if you don't mind.

1- I have my factory baby moons off a 64' Sovereign. Where would I find steel wheels that would utilize them? It currently has split rims and tires and tubes are dry rotted from sitting for 15 years and I hate to put money into outdated rims.

2- Do you think 16" wheels would fit into the wheel wells in order to help level out the trailer while pulling with my 3/4 ton truck?

Thanks!!! Again, your trailer is amazing!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #22

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
Extraordinary work!!!

A couple questions if you don't mind.

1- I have my factory baby moons off a 64' Sovereign. Where would I find steel wheels that would utilize them? It currently has split rims and tires and tubes are dry rotted from sitting for 15 years and I hate to put money into outdated rims.

2- Do you think 16" wheels would fit into the wheel wells in order to help level out the trailer while pulling with my 3/4 ton truck?

Thanks!!! Again, your trailer is amazing!!!
Hi there...

Thanks for your super nice compliments!!!

Regarding the 16" rims...I wish I could answer, but I don't know what will or what won't will fit on the '64 Sovereign. I also am not sure which wheels would be able to utilize your original baby moon hubcaps, but I bet someone on this forum would. I did a LOT of measuring, calling, verifying, and researching before I bought my rims and baby moons to make sure that everythng would fit to the nearest 1/16 of an inch...but it does take time and alot of resources.

I purchased my 16" rims from Redneck Trailer Supply and they were very, very cheap. They were brand new manufactured by Dexstar at the end of December 2011, part number WH166-60E; they were $55.32 each plus shipping which was about $30 total for both. That's cheap shipping as these rims are surprisingly heavy.

I wish I could help you more...but one thing I do know is that I would never use split rims or old dry-rotted tires. I've seen too much damage and carnage from those type of things.

Jeff