Old 03-31-2004, 11:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Metal Prices - are indeed increasing

I'm in the process of having a back and partial sides added to my RV port. Steel prices are up 66% since last June - due to demand in China. The steel industry uses a baseline ref. of Jan. 1997 and except for rebar and rod which are 105% of that baseline, most other steel is still about 70% of Jan 1997. The world steel industry has been in a slump since Nov. 2001 and starting to recover.

My contractor (who uses US made steel) told me of a large steel building he built a year ago for $24K and a identical one last month for $49K, so to determine if he was pulling a quick one, I did my Internet research, - the increases are real & significant. Increased fuel costs are increasing shipping costs, the only thing that is decreasing, is my income.

Our leader - Geo. Jr., lifted steel import tariffs in January - supposedly to lower prices - the opposite happened.

China's demand equals Mexico & Canada combined.

This has to be responsible for some cost increases in Airstream chassis's. The increases are not likely to stop anytime soon.

I don't ever want to see Airstream cut corners to reduce costs. We, as consumers, have to bear the burden of supply & demand.

WBCCI 1845
doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:43 PM   #16

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Watch yourself. I don't know where this came from but I had a buisness try to pull a fast one on me and carge extra because of the metal prices. Problem the stuff I was buying they already had in stock and been sitting on the shelfs for over a year well before this was happening. I called them on it and made them honor their published price. Nice way to gouge the customer to nail them on a increas on stuff you didn't pay an increase on.
Works the same way at the gas pump. ever notice how when crude oil goes up, the increase at the pumps is instantaneous!!!!

but when crude oil drops...prices linger at the high end, and station owners whine that "..they bought all this stock at high prices, so they have to sell it high to recoup their cost...". yeah. I see how it works.

Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:14 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
WOW...this is way more info that I expected to see. All good!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote