Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Moving Out....for Winter

I just finished my last of 150 plus nights for 2013, very sad to see it end. I have a couple of very specific questions....aside from I know to winterize everything, cover wheels, get wheels off ground, stuff dryer sheets everywhere and get a cat, do I...

- empty every pot pan dish?
-every piece of bedding?
-every flamingo, do-dad, notebook etc?
-every DVD, Tool, pillow, etc?

I plan to still use Eirestream as an escape nap place, my batteries will be out, but can I plug in direct and run heat with my 30amp cord and propane?

Do I leave any windows cracked...which is really open a couple inches, or button it all tight?

Thank you, I understand the nuts and bolts of winterizing, just need confirmation on all the other parts of the trailer.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We remove all food items, but for dried things like spices, and anything else within that would freeze and explode......i.e. dish detergent, laundry supplies, shampoo, etc.

After vacuuming and cleaning thoroughly, we leave all standard items inside, such as pots, cups, mugs, dishes, silverware, etc.

We wash all the bedding, towels, etc., and then bag them inside the large ziploc bags.....keeps spiders from considering them winter homes.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Oh goodidea on bagging, I was going to drag it all inside. Do u crack a window? I have to buy a battery tender. Winter is coming...Thanks for ur help.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Oh goodidea on bagging, I was going to drag it all inside. Do u crack a window? I have to buy a battery tender. Winter is coming...Thanks for ur help.
I personally would hesitate to crack a window. If you are concerned you might leave the vent in the bathroom slightly open. I have no doubt that there are plenty of places that are open enough for there to be sufficient airflow for storage. Especially as you will be checking in regularly.

One word on the subject of leaving anything on the trailer, anything that smells good to a mouse should be removed. Believe me when I say that the first time you smell one of their little bodies toting away in the belly pan it will ruin your day! Ask me how I know....

It is strange to read about everybody putting their Airstreams away for the winter as we are just beginning to get excited about using ours again..

Our winter escape pod awaits February....

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We take out liquids that will freeze and food. We have a plastic bin in the house we put everything into, and it goes in the closet. Everything else stays in - pots, pans, blankets, etc. - none of these are affected by cold. We generally open our vents but we have those rain covers on them that allow us to do it without letting rain in.

Wheels off the ground? Totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous. I know there are people here that advocate that, but frankly I think the hassle of doing that far outweighs the extra few months of life out of the tire that action might get you. Plus, if you do have to move the trailer, say in some kind of emergency, you now have that much more to do before you can.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote