Old 02-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
We have a 31Ft. and it's been great for a family of four, as long as you pack right. We have a teenage daughter who thinks she needs everything she owns with her, so we had to limit her stuff. Our son would probably wear the same clothes everyday if somebody didn't tell him to bath and put clean clothes on. Just have fun!!!!!

early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
It is all about you and your needs....

but I am here to represent for all the "big rigs". We travel with 3 kids and 2 adults and our 34' er is 'not too big, not too small, its JUST right."

In fact, there really is room for everything we need in spite the space requirements of homeschooling, a soon to be teenage daughter, baseball equipment, my cooking gear, laptop, BBQ, etc.... Now, your needs and requirements may obiously vary, but nearly everyone trades up in size - not down. I often see the posts where folks say that they simply 'cannot get by in our X feet unit.' Naturally this upgrade stuff is a process over time but I for one knew this was coming and decided that I would prefer invest my time and $ in something we could all be happy with over the long term. This 34' should fit us even when we are ready to retire and the kids are off on their own...

So many variables that go into something like this.... have fun with it and create those memories that will last forever!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by rebel beck
We to moved up from a small pop-up. We have 2 dogs and one 7 year old son. We decided on a 31 foot one reason it will not be long before our son wants to invite someone for the weekend. Plus a few times we were held up in the small pop-up due to weather and I wanted all the room we could get when we moved up to the Airstream.

I agree, me thinks our next upgrade, if I don't get a 25' SE may be a 31' Dinette, unless a better floorplan comes out or I win the lottery and have one custom built.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #18
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up As we say up here in Meeshigan...Ya done good!

"Anyway, just curious what you all think. In retrospect, maybe I should have splurged for a 34', but I think I'm OK with my 31'. Just wondering what the more experienced 'streamers think." Jim Golden

Jim, your trailer sounds ideal for your needs. Have wonderful adventures with the family camping! If you decide to get something else in the future, that's just part of the fun. Good luck! This forum is a great place!
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thanks for the replies everybody. I think it'll make a nice one when I get it all spruced up. Hopefully I'll see some of you on the road
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You have a beautiful trailer. How about posting some picture and let us see the rest of it.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I finally figured out how to post a few pics

Hi Chaplain,

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I finally figured out how to post some pictures of my trailer in the members section. I still don't have it 100%, as all my photos have the same title, but you can at least see a few of them there. I've got more, but these are the only ones I had that were photoshopped to be a decent size to upload. There's one pic of it hooked to my truck leaving the dealership and you can see how filthy it was when I got it. The other pics are after several days of cleaning. It's still not what I'd call spic and span, but it at least doesn't look like it came out of Fred Sanford's lot now

I'm currently in the process of a battle to get the title. I had huge plans for this trailer and really want to fix it up, but I've halted work on it until I get the title. I bought it from a dealership five and a half months ago and they're giving me a run around on getting me the title. It's a real mess. My first RV, so I took them at their word when they told me the title wasn't on the premisis and they'd bring it to me in a couple days. Live and learn.

Anyway, I'm hoping it all pans out. If I end up losing this one because I can't get a title to it, I'll just have to look for an older one

Wish me luck...I'm going to need it. Rather disheartening, actually.

One person on here signs their name with "...infected with aluminitus." Count me in that club!
- Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Packing light...what's that?

Early, I totally sympathize. Your daughter sounds like my wife! I had to buy the Airstream so that she actually COULD bring the kitchen sink!!
- Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We had a 31' with two kids and two dogs, lived in it a couple of times during transfers. It worked great for us when the kids were small, got close as they got older but we still loved it
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Got a 28' Safari W, and it is fine for us for trips up to 14 days or so--two kids, 10 and 6. Lots of gear. I just wish we had more time to use it...

The floor plan is pefect, with the rear queen. Only gripe I have is the couch is not too comfy for sitting and watching a movie before bed, but I am a big guy. Will probably upgrade the cushions soon. We spend much time outside, and am usually only inside after dark. As kids get older, that will change...I read a lot while the kids sleep.

While seated in the dinette, I can reach the stove and the fridge, so it is pretty cool for meals. I have long arms...

Best spot for relaxing for me is the dinnette...I can lie without bending if I go diagonal, and is a good spot for the movie. But, that is the 6 year old's spot, and it is hard to talk her out of it. Minor complaint, really.

I have never driven home wishing for more room than the 28W. We looked hard at the 25 models, and choose the 28 for the floorplan and the bit of extra room if each child brings a friend along. The refrigerator is large enough for a few days food. I wish the holding tanks held a bit more, too, and we would get bigger tanks with a 31...

Anything larger than the 28 would mean I would need a bigger truck, and that trade-off turned out not to be worth it during the planning stage, and is still true after using it two seasons. 25 would be OK for weekends, but is too small for active kids.

It is small enough to fit in the driveway and we use it as a guest house. That has turned out to raise its utility for us much more than we expected.

hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
We love our 30. After a 10ft camper trailer and a baby we HAD TO HAVE MORE ROOM. Our son is only 4 but we love the split bath and since we want more the dinette should be great for that. We also love the extra floor space in the front whether it's the dogs crates at night or toy trains spread out it works. Now we just have to finish demo'ing it so we can put it all back together.
Steve Heywood
Waddell, AZ
1999 19' Bambi (SOLD)
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
We are two men with a 28 with slide. We love the slide -- gives us extra living space that two territorial men enjoy. If we didn't have this trailer I'd want the Safari bunk for the space -- but our split bath arrangement is more desirable.

With too small a trailer, where does one keep the camping Waterford and Wedgwood?

Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote