Old 03-04-2003, 11:33 PM   #15
APB
2 Rivet Member

Escondido , California
I agree that the naming conventions are rather confusing. Aren't they all "Land Yachts"? At first I thought "International was a configuration indicating twin beds but that appears not to be the case. I have heard the Excella described as an "upscale model with things like the Nutone processor and built in vacuum cleaner. My unit has several identifiers on it - I will have to check it for details.

You can gain some insight from the Owners Manual for the various years. The '78 manual I have shows detailed breakdown of the various options and their effect on gross weight and toungue weight. In addition to such things as Air Conditioner there are things like "space locker" Refrigerator, safety group, Vista view windows, International package, B.A.L. Jacks etc. There is a different set of options for the 31' trailers but no mention of different trailer names.

The trailers are identified according to length and layout ( Twin, double, C, center bath or rear bath.

The international package is defined in another part of the manual as: Solar Dome, Water Purifier, Auto gas regulator, Step light assy., Central control system, Range exhaust fan, Bath exhaust fan, Electronic digital clock, Bed spreads, Ceiling fan, and Combination sink cover / cutting board.

There is no mention of the Neutone food processor in the options section but there is a discription of it's operation and accessories... go figure.

Bluegrass is flat picking good!
APB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:59 PM   #16

Mike heard that International had better pressure regulators. Our International 1971 25' & 1974 29' both have them. Both have center full bed.

No: Solar Dome, Step light assy., Electronic digital clock (in 1978 must have been really new)
Yes: Central control system, Range exhaust fan, Bath exhaust fan, Combination sink cover / cutting board.

We just brought home our 32' 1990 Excella 1000: no cental vac.

If you are confused, ask an AS dealer !!!! Some may be competant. The one we asked yesterday knew one think "the name Land Yatch is now used on the MH". We asked about the Excella, the 500 & 1000. I don't think he even understood our questions.

Chantal

APB: on the East Coast, we have a lot more BG festivals than you have. You should come for a visit !!!

Old 03-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Airstream models

I have also tried to make sense of the various layouts within some of the model years and the names of the trailers. It can be rather bewildering. I pulled out a brochure for the '77 Excella 500 I bought off ebay and here are some of the excerpts:
"...31-feet of lavish living. 1977 offers you more new models than ever before...six superb models to be exact...center bath, twin or double and rear bath, twin or double...plus an exciting new side travel lounge!...Only a limited number of Excella will be produced in 1977." Hmmmmm. Some of the other items mentioned were: "We have thoughtfully placed an additional water pump switch in the bathroom for your convenience." I'd like to know where because mine does not have it as far as I can tell. "Beautiful Vista-View windows avail. on some models..." Mine does have them. "Convenience of a vacuum cleaner..." I do have it but it was taken off it's mount in the rear compartment when some plumbing work was done and never remounted. "...the AM/FM radio, 8-track stereo and optional TV..." Long gone! "The efficient 13,5000 BTU air conditioner features a 5,500 BTU electronic ignition heater with 3-speed fan." Had the unit for almost 2 yrs. and have yet to see if it has the heat strip. "...Excella Appliance Center comes equipped with blender, knife sharpener and mixer. You may even add additional appliances." "The Dometic RM 100 gas/electric frost-free refigerator..." Still running strong. "The optional microwave oven..." I believe this was a Litton. "A 12 volt, two-chime doorbell announces callers." Cool. "You're always in touch with time and weather. Easy to read digital clock and accurate temperature readings." Mine don't work. "...on the exterior you'll fine this 110-volt convenience outlet." Yep "The Excella provides you with two batteries conveniently located at the front of the trailer." "Every window (except front and rear...) is treated with Scotchtint to minimize glare, reduce heat transfer and insure your privacy. All Excella windows including Vista-view are double paned for all season comfort." "With the Excella you will never wind or rewind hoses and cords again. The 25-ft. 110-volt main power line and 50 ft. water hose unreel to whatever length you need, then recoil into their hiding place when not in use." Got'em. "...rides on four radial steel-belted Michelin tires mounted on super strong forged aluminum wheels." Still have the alum. wheels.

It has a bunch of standard items not mentioned above and one other option mentioned, twin swivel chair. The brochure makes the standard disclaimer "The right is reserved to make changes at any time in prices, colors, material, equipment, specifications, and models, and also to discontinue or add models." Maybe that is why we see so many variations.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 AM   #18
APB
2 Rivet Member

Escondido , California
Models

A doorbell... very cool.

I'll bet the electronic ignition heater is an electric strip heater in the AC unit which would explain the heat function on my Armstrong thermostat. I also have a suburban thermostat for the gas heater. I can't believe anyone really needs heating beyond what is supplied by the gas furnace???

The water pump switch in the bathroom in my soverign is in line with the light and fan switches above the sink counter.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #19

We are just starting to explore our "new" 1990 Excella 32'
We do have the 2 switches for the water pump: by the bathroom & kitchen sinks.
Under the kitchen sink, we have a small electric water heater. The dealer said the previous owner added that. I know he doesn't know much, so we will check the manual.
No blender,mixer,...etc.
The bathroom light has a high/low switch. The dealer told us that the low is not supposed to be doing anything. Only worked on high setting. ??? We will have to get it to work on low. Don't know if it was working originally.
Has the original Magic Chef Microwave : "FOR SALE". For a few weeks of camping it must be OK. Not for full-timing (no turn table, no room to put one, cavity too small)

2 batteries compartment. The dealer told us: "we replaced them both". We are pretty stupid: we checked them 2 days/160miles later: 2 compartments/one battery only !!!!

I have not looked yet at the hoses & cords.

What about awnings ? We have them all around. I think they are still OK. (are shot on our 71 & 74, so we did not pay too much attention to that) Awnings all around may have been an option ?
It had a chair, in the book. Long gone.
I guess we better check what else we have.

Chantal
Old 03-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
APB,
I've been told that the heat strip might take the nip out of the air on a cool morning but nothing much more than that. I boondock most of the time so it may be awhile before I get to check this feature out on a 30 amp circuit.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:13 PM   #21
APB
2 Rivet Member

Escondido , California
Options

Craig, that makes sense, I guess. It would allow you to set a range and not go above or below and do so with only one thermostat.

Chantel & Mike, the low/high switch in my bath works. I suspect it connects either two or four bulbs in the fixtures. I also have switches for the bathroom fan, light, and water pump for a total of four.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #22

APB

I don't know if your vanity lights are the same as ours: we have 3 on each side of the medecine cabinet (framing it vertically). Total of 6 bare vanity bulbs, 13w each. It's crazy to have that much wattage without at least one low setting.
We have a switch for the water pump and one for the water heater.
The bathroom fan is on ceiling of the shower stall. Little rotary switch.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:44 PM   #23

Talking of switches:

The book mentions that the 2 ceiling lights in the kitchen/living room operate with wall switch (OK), and the diagram shows an extra switch at the fixtures themselves.
New mystery: the front light (the one with the fan), does not have it. BUT: the other one has a switch. It is wired, but doesn't do anything. Any idea ?

The more I read the book, the less I learn. What I have learned is the book seems to be a mishmash of facts & fiction.

According to the book the fan switch in the bathroom is over the sink. FAULSE: it's on the ceiling.

3 of the drain valves on the 32' are supposed to be under the microwave. NO: haven't found them yet (only the one under the bed).

We have just discovered a 12v fluorescent tube, hidden over the bathroom sink. Cannot find the switch for it. Was it added?

The book mentions some kind of switch to make sure you do not turn on the microwave and the AC at the same time: don't need it, but cannot find it either.

I mentioned earlier the small electric water heater (0.5 gallons), under the kitchen sink. The one the dealer said was added by the previous owner. He would have been smart to keep his mouth shut: it's in the book as an option.

As we look more closely, we discover more and more mysteries. Life was so much simpler with our 1974: we didn't have the book, so we still don't know what we may have missed.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #24
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
look up

"The book mentions some kind of switch to make sure you do not turn on the microwave and the AC at the same time: don't need it, but cannot find it either"

look in your kitchen cabinet above the sink for this one.

that is where it is located in my '92 excella.

john
Old 03-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #25
APB
2 Rivet Member

Escondido , California
Bathroom Light switches

Chantel & Mike
I was out at the trailer today and realized I have three switches in the bathroom. Light (hi/lo center offf) fan and pump. I have not looked inside the fixtures to see just how many bulbs are there.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 PM   #26

"We have just discovered a 12v fluorescent tube, hidden over the bathroom sink. Cannot find the switch for it. Was it added?"
This should be off the low side of the hi/low switch in the bath.