Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I just wanted to post an update to my request for a RV park recomendation in Moab, UT.

My husband and I had a very nice ten day trip to Moab. This was our very first extended stay in our A/S. She performed fabulously. We towed her over 1000 miles without any problems at all. We got our "camping" rhythm going and enjoyed our trip so very much. We know that we have many, many years of camping in front of us. We love our A/S.

We stayed at the Spanish Trails RV park in Moab. It was a very nice campground. Very clean and very quite. Each spot had its own concrete walkway, a shade tree and a Rose bush. We did regret the fact that there was really no place to walk our dog.

We toured some of the other RV parks in Moab and liked the looks of the Portal. It sits back off the highway and it did have plenty of grassy area.

Moab is a very busy place this time of year. I have never seen so many RVs in one little town before.

I will have to post a picture of, what we think is an A/S. It was sitting in a canyon under a cliff. Maybe folks that have been to Moab know of this trailer. We passed two A/S on our way to Moab, saw one on our way home, which was pulling a boat trailer behind it - truck - A/S - boat trailer, and two in other RV parks while there.

We were at a rest stop near Moab and I had a lady ask me if we were meeting a certain party in Moab that were waiting for friends of theirs who had an A/S.

On our way home, driving thru Meeker, CO, we got caught in a cattle drive - down the middle of the highway! There must have been around 100 to 150 cows. The A/S got cow poop splashed all over it! I got a picture of the cows, but what would have been a better picture would have been all the cows surrounding the A/S.

The Moab area is beartiful! The Canyonlands, Needles and Arches
areas are simply spectacular. We also enjoyed viewing all the Indian Rock Art in the area.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:16 PM   #22
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Ah yes, the fragrant smell of cow poop! We had a similar experience with a sheep herd up in North central Colorado, altho at the time we didn't have "Mini". How comforting?? it would have been to have that aroma wrapped around us at nite!!! They did act as an alarm clock every morning. Glad you had a good and memorable trip.

Looking forward to hearing more about Moab!! My 16 yr old will want ATV's (or a good 4 wheeler lifted about 15-30"). The music deal sounds good too. Later, Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
Just got back from a week of bike riding in Moab. The Airstream is winterized now, stayed in a condo. Had a great time. Temps in the mid 80's. Found a tourist newspaper paper that has a nice website listing most all of the events, festivals, etc., throughout the year. It's at: www.moabhappenings.com
Old 10-24-2003, 12:56 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

It sure is pretty there and very different. The weather was great! Of course we ate at the Moab Diner and had the very best pizza at Zaz (is that right) - anyway it was wood-fired and great.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Moab Rally plans finalized!

Airstreams Forums Spring Mothers Day Hiking/Biking/Relaxing Rally.

I have finalized plans for our spring get together. We have 15 spaces blocked out at the Spanish Trails RV Park (435-259-2411) for our Rally. Our plan is to be there May 8 and leave on May 12th.

It is important to make your reservations ASAP - they will hold the block of spaces for about 30 days. We can probably have more than 15 spaces if we need it (right now there are about 30 available), but again Moab is very busy during April and May soooooooooooo we need to make reservations right away.

We will have the use of the pavilion if we want to - and I’m sure we will want to. My thinking is we do a chilli dump on Friday night, and Sunday morning the guys should cook for the moms, want to be moms or those who don’t want to be moms.

There is no rally fee since this is not a formal rally. - its an informal get together similar to last years New Mexico rally that will give us an opportunity to see each other again, or to meet you if you did not attend last year.

So thats the plan so far - lets talk over the next couple of months and plan the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ken and Ellyn Johansen
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Check out this Moab Mother's Day Rally link for the most up-to-date planning & information!

See you there!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Moab in March??

WE are still interested in the Rally planned for May, but my boys can't wait and since Spring Break is coming up the end of March, I mentioned Moab and they went whahoo!!! Anyway, before we make it official, has anyone been around the end of March - weather? Accomodations available? I am going to check out some to the above links, but would like some feedback from anyone here who has first hand knowledge of that time of year. Sounds like it might be somewhat quiet then? Anyway.... thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 03-02-2004, 01:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lots of spring breakers go from here...

Over the years it has been nice, hot, cold, rainy and snowey.

Its a hard time of year to predict. In March you can expect any type of weather.

Ken J.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #29
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Ken - thanks for the reply. Sounds like trying to decide about going to Zion last year. We left here after digging out of huge snow piles and arrived at Zion to beautiful weather. Lucked out, I guess. Been looking at Google sites and one for weather in Moab says around that time, 60 degrees is common.

We will be looking around at places in/around Moab, so if you need any additional info, let me know.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 03-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Leigh , If you are going to be looking for places in and around Moab....Good Luck....There are so many..My advice is that
when you go there , plan to take some day trips without the trailer.....maybe even .....bring a tent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I started a top ten Utah campsite journal. Talk about one
ton of ice cream in a 12 ounce beer mug.
March can be cold at night. It can be 40 at night in June
after a 95 degree day. It isn't too crowed in late May.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #31
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Any of you heard of the Pack Creek RV Park? I came across it on the net, but don't see it listed in the Trailer Life directory. I was interested in it because it is the only one that I have found that doesn't charge extra for more that 2 people. Most are charging anywhere from $3 to $5 for each guest beyond 2. The next least expensive is Portal RV, which sounds nice. Thanks

Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Boy I thought I was well versed in RV parks in Moab, but have never heard of Park Creek.

I am familier with Portal and it is very nice - fairly new park

Ken
Old 03-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Ken - The campground is called Pack Creek - Pack and Park look alot alike. I have e-mailed them, but have not gotten a reply??!! Guess I could call the long distance # (no 800 # to use). I have also contacted Portal and one called Arch View. We are trying to find a place somewhat close to the sand dunes outside of Moab, cause our boys love to ATV, and the dunes near ZION NP is where we went last year. They had a blast. Anyway, I am also looking at the Dead Horse Point State Park. Did you know they have a group site and there is elec./water/dump site there? Not a whole lot of water, they want you to fill tanks before you arrive, but the area looks beautiful.

Old 03-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Have never heard of Pack or Park Creek. I like Arch View, I have stayed there too - that is another fairly new campground about 10 miles north of Moab

Ken J.