Old 11-01-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Misleading Ad?

Check out the Reese ad on the back of the new ASLife. Curbside door on what appears to be a Bambi? What about the double axle? Checked AS website, can't find any models like that. Isn't that a Nissian Pathfinder? Is it rated high enough to pull a Bambi?

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
It's magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Check out the Reese ad on the back of the new ASLife. Curbside door on what appears to be a Bambi? What about the double axle? Checked AS website, can't find any models like that. Isn't that a Nissian Pathfinder? Is it rated high enough to pull a Bambi?
Look at the A/S website again. The trailer is a 22' Safari, the successor to the International AS that I used to have. The trailer image is reversed (ain't PhotoShop wonderful), putting the door on the street side.

I can't comment on the Pathfinder towing capacity, but my AS kept a 5.3L Silverado pretty busy. The Safari grosses at about 5600# as I recall.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Pahaska beat me to the punch. Here's a cropped version of the same pic flipped horizontally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	9315  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
And I think the TV is a Toyota fourrunner, I don't know for sure, but I know it is not a pathfinder.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Its an Izuzu Trooper - I had one just like it. That trailer would be a bit much for the Trooper.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Yeah, and it doesn't really look as if there is even room for a Reese hitch between the TV and TT.

Reese's ad dept. is either on the ball, because they are getting all this scrutiny and attention to detail in their ad. Or they are really bad and Reese needs to do some house cleaning.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Pahaska is right, PhotoShop is a wonderful thing. My eyes were resting on the ad and it dawned on me that the door was curbside. Caught my interest. Do the CCD's have diamond shaped running lights like the one in the ad? Never noticed. Mine are all tear drops.

You definately need Reese if you are pulling a 22'er with a Trooper!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
maertsria???

I haven't seen the original ad, but it sure looks to me like "AIRSTREAM" reads backwards on the front of the trailer in the "flipped" picture above. Even the individual letters seem to be flipped. Reese must have editted the original photo to make sure they avoided any copyrights to the original picture, otherwise when they flipped the picture, then "AIRSTREAM" would have reads backwards in the actual magazine ad.

Come to think of it, after Rog flipped the photo, it is now driving on the wrong side of the yellow line. I'm not sure the photo was flipped by Reese at all? The really makes the door location a mystery, or an even better Photoshop creation.

Joe
Old 11-02-2004, 07:28 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
I haven't seen the original ad, but it sure looks to me like "AIRSTREAM" reads backwards on the front of the trailer in the "flipped" picture above. Even the individual letters seem to be flipped. Reese must have editted the original photo to make sure they avoided any copyrights to the original picture, otherwise when they flipped the picture, then "AIRSTREAM" would have reads backwards in the actual magazine ad.

Come to think of it, after Rog flipped the photo, it is now driving on the wrong side of the yellow line. I'm not sure the photo was flipped by Reese at all? The really makes the door location a mystery, or an even better Photoshop creation.

Joe
Joe... you beat me to it... the first thing I noticed was the yellow stripes, and the Airstream on the wrong side in Rog's 'flipped' photo. Unfortunately I haven't seen the original in Airstream Life... but...

It doesn't look like the photos of the 22' CCD on the Airstream site...

Is there a current Airstream model that is 19' with tandem axles where the wheel well cuts into the bottom of a suicide door that lives on the wrong side? Could this be a foreign market Airstream that isn't sold domestically? Anybody heard of such a trailer? Anybody heard about building trailers for the off-shore market?

Hmmm... and I agree about the TV being a Trooper. I sure wouldn't want to tow anything larger than a 19' with it!

Questions, questions, questions...

Roger
Old 11-02-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
...... Anybody heard about building trailers for the off-shore market? Hmmm... and I agree about the TV being a Trooper. I sure wouldn't want to tow anything larger than a 19' with it!......

What if......copywriters let go from a recent VW advertising fiasco ended up working for the company that did the Reese ads????

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
What if......copywriters let go from a recent VW advertising fiasco ended up working for the company that did the Reese adds????

I have to wonder if the whole thing was done on purpose. The badging is blacked out/removed from the TV and the Airstream. By flipping the negative over the Airstream does not look quite right. This eliminates any direct advertisement of the products in question. Since it is an impossible hook up, it would also eliminate Reese from liability, should use their towing products to connect your 25 foot Airstream to the back of a trooper or other undersized TV based on seeing it in one of their ads.

There is not a disclaimer, as I remember on, the ad regarding the setup used in the ad. Most ads, commercials especially, always have the little statements, of professional driver, closed course. Or obey all speed limits, etc.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
It is not a 19'and it is not a CCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
It doesn't look like the photos of the 22' CCD on the Airstream site...

Is there a current Airstream model that is 19' with tandem axles where the wheel well cuts into the bottom of a suicide door that lives on the wrong side?
Roger
As I posted above, I believe that it is a heavily PhotoShopped 22' Safari, the successor to the 22' International AS that I owned before my current Classic.

Some clues are the the dual axles, Safari-style rubber-edged windows, and the refrigerator grilles behind the door.

When the PhotoShop artist foreshortened the trailer, he had to cut the wheel well into the door to prevent distorting the wheelwell. Not a difficult thing to do in PhotoShop. I teach Photoshop at Computer rallies and I demonstrate many of the techniques that would have been used to modify this photo. For instance, to prevent distorting the wheels and wheelwells, they can be cut out as a separate layer, the body foreshortened, and the wheelwells pasted right back in place. This is undoubtedly what was done here.

For example, look at the refrigerator grilles behind the door with a magnifying glass. The front edges of the grilles have been partially cut off during the modification and the area just doesn't look quite right. This is right at the vertical area where the wheel well cuts into the door.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Smile Inquiring minds

For those who haven't seen the ad and wonder what the heck we're talking about, here's a larger scan.
Hey, are those other Airstreams in the reflections?
The plot thickens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REESE.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	9354  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
As I posted above, I believe that it is a heavily PhotoShopped 22' Safari, the successor to the 22' International AS that I owned before my current Classic.
Thanks for the excellent assessment, John! I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to recognize those clues.

The next question is why did Reese feel it necessary to photoshop the trailer at all? It's clearly an Airstream, and photoshopping the trailer doesn't change the copyright on the image... 'spose they're trying to avoid the VW-style trashing they'd get for over-loading a smaller TV with a trailer that's too large?

Roger