Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
The next question is why did Reese feel it necessary to photoshop the trailer at all? It's clearly an Airstream, and photoshopping the trailer doesn't change the copyright on the image... 'spose they're trying to avoid the VW-style trashing they'd get for over-loading a smaller TV with a trailer that's too large?

Roger
I suspect that the ad person was given some file photos and asked to compose the ad. If the Airstream had been any longer, it wouldn't have fit well on the page. As it is, I think the Airstream may be just a tad smaller than real life in comparison to the tow vehicle.

Let's face it. Except for us true Airstream fans, virtually no one would notice any anomaly.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Looking at the yellow lines on the pavement, I'd say he's going to put a heck of a dent in the stone guard when he tries to make it around the curve.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

I dont think that it was in tow when the pictures used to compile this photo were taken, look in the reflection on the side of the Tow vehicle.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Starting to get some doubts

A little more prowling around the ad with a magnifying glass has started to raise some doubts in my mind. I don't find a stove vent which should be on the curb side of a Safari 22' Also, the water heater is not where I would expect it. The artist may have deleted the stove vent (easy), but wouldn't have transplanted the water heater

I find enough similarity between the two wheels that I now think that this may be a photo of a, possibly older, 19' Bambi where the PhotoShop artist has simply stretched the wheel well and duplicated the single wheel, making it look like a tandem axle and thus a larget trailer.

I don't think that the wide stripe down the side has appeared on really recent trailers and the newest Safaris don't have the trim strip around the belt line; they have only the lap joint between top and bottom skins.

I can't make heads or tails out of the reflecions.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The 1999 Safari line used a wide stripe. I'm not sure what 2000 did and I had a 2001 so I'm clear there. My guess is that this is a 1999 Safari.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had noticed the reversed image when I got my issue, but didn't pay much attention beyond that. My guess is that the artist forshortened the image to fit the back cover without cropping so the vertical hight would be correct and the width would fit then reversed it for composition. You can tell that the "belt line" doesn't end smoothly and the trailer is way too close to the back of the SUV.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #21
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Spelled backward, Reese is E-seer (Twilight Zone background theme)

Fellow A/S Lifers,
So much mystery, so little time. I've stared through the SUV windshield for five minutes and I'd swear there is an image of a driver, perhaps O.J., still in his relentless cross-country pursuit of the real killer. And the front of the A/S is the precisely the same shade as Michael Jackson's facial make-up, Clinique #3, morning sickness ivory. Study the mountain background carefully.....taken less than a mile from where Laci Petersons' body was found.
Deceptive advertising ? Does that mean there never were budweiser beer-belching frogs ? No taco infatuated chihuahuas ?

All of your observations are remarkably astute, comparable to the very best clinical diagnosticians. My fear is that, like most of you, I have been watching too much political advertising and the line between truth and deception is lost in an amorphous haze. Or we've been smoking too much aluminum.

Aside from this ad, our Reese hitch has served us well and appears to be a good product. As are their delicious Halloween leftover peanut butter cups.
I approve this message.

Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Let's face it. Except for us true Airstream fans, virtually no one would notice any anomaly.
I agree. But when you realize the ad was on Airstream Life it seems that it was destined to be viewed by us Airstream fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I teach Photoshop at Computer rallies and I demonstrate many of the techniques that would have been used to modify this photo.
Have you considered offering that class at the 2005 International Rally in Springfield, MO? I'd love to attend a class to improve my Photoshop skills!

I was asked by the Computer Chaiperson to lead a class there for those who want to learn how to use eBay.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think if Reese's advertising dept didn't do this on purpose, they should have. I doubt any ad in the magazine has gotten the attention this one has, and think of the impact of all that attention on your subconscious mind. They say nothing that ends up on film is by accident, perhaps that can also be said of magazine ads. Anyone feel like upgrading to a Reese now?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:34 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I fear that Dr. C. is too close for comfort here. I suspect a covert conspiracy and coverup. No doubt that this photo was taken near the grassy knoll and not far from the place where Jimmy Hoffa is still hiding today. If you look closely at the reflection in the side of the trailer, you'll definately see the UFOs visiting the White House. And I believe that the image behind the wheel is most definately that of Elvis. A little heavier and with white hair, but definately Elvis... the sequins on the collar are a dead giveaway.

I too like their peanut butter cups. And their hitches ain't a bad product either. Their advertising stinks tho...

Roger
Old 11-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
I think furthur evidence may show that it WAS NOT a Photoshop misdeed, but was due to the recent "once in a Blue Moon" event.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #26
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Time to come clean!

Well, since the ad is going to be discontinued after the next issue, I'll reveal the secret.

Pahaska figured it out. It's actually a single-axle trailer, flipped and tweaked. An extra axle was added too.

But Dr. C might have been close to the truth, too!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Life
Well, since the ad is going to be discontinued after the next issue, I'll reveal the secret.
The way I see it there is no secret to advertising. A Photo ad is to create a conceptual and fleeting imaginative moment....hence this ad.....getting away with your Airstream traveling down the road with the comfort and added safety of a Reese Hitch set up!

It is not about the Airstream nor is it about the tow vehicle - for that matter it is not about the yellow lines on the road or the indepth Photoshop skills of Airstream Lifes' Graphic Department.

It is about getting those people who read the ad to tweek their interest enough to visit a website, or call to get more information.

Most likely to attract those prospective customers who DO NOT have any type of hitch set up at the moment (unlike most of us on this site who are members) But more likely to all those who are guests lurking - for those people just shopping around for a trailer and thinking about what hitch set up they should consider.

Try to relax and "see" it for what it is and not for what it is "not".

(But if it is anything I don't think the Troopers had head light wipers - or maybe they did but I want to get me a pair of them for sure - as I already have the Reese set up) Do you think I could add a second axle as quickly as that talented graphic artist did???
Old 11-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream Life
Ah-Ha ! Your in denial now, giving dis-information to hide the truth that our astute members figured out. Common, admit it. UFO’s, Elvis, O.J. and the mystery vehicle that appears to be moving in a still picture. The truth is out there and you have been exposed!!