Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Minnesota members - Write to your senator or representative

An amendment to the transportation bills now before the house and senate in Minnesota would codify in state statutes a 6 hour limit on parking in rest areas making it a misdemeanor to stay longer. The bills contain an exception for commercial drivers, who apparently are more deserving of a night's rest than the Airstreaming public.

The amendment apparently was added at the request of MN/DOT who have tried to enforce the posted limit in the past and discovered that they actually don't have any legal grounds for doing so. There isn't much support for the amendment among real people and with even a handful of phone calls and letters we should be able to fix this.

The bills are S.F. 1455 in the senate and H.F. 0928 in the house.

Call, write, or email your senator and representative today to express your opposition to this bill. If you do not know who your senator and representative are, there's a map here, a list of representatives by district and links to their home pages with phone numbers and email addresses here, and a list of senators by district here.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Do you need more than 6 hours in a rest stop? It's not likely there will be a lot of funds spent funding meter maids and writing up those violaters, will there?

I often stay in rest stops when I travel cross country. If you need more than that I would say get a camp site.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Somebody is putting that in there for there own benefit. Trucking industry, campground owner's association? This provision may make sense if it was even across the board, but of course it is not.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Occasionally people might park overnight, which they're apparently trying to discourage.

Not something I would ever plan but there are certainly circumstances where due to deteriorating weather or surprises of some other kind it might be necessary.

The stated goal of the legislation is to deal with a problem of people "living" at rest stops. If this is enough of a problem to require a legislative solution, I would think that a 24 hour limit would be sufficient.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
California has a 12-hr limit, but it's not often enforced. One thing that will get rapid enforcement is if you put anything out on the ground. You can usually park for 18 or 24 hours without a problem as long as it looks like you're not "camping," whatever that is.

Zep

PS to a previous poster--so you stop at midnight and get up at 6AM? I don't think so.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
At least you have your rest stops open. In Virginia, the previous administration closed several. The electorate cleaned house this past November and the closed stops are now open. The trade-off seems to be that some of our state parks will be closed. Hopefully the ones to be closed will be those underutilized. It helps to be politically active with calls and letters....at times. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Zep

PS to a previous poster--so you stop at midnight and get up at 6AM? I don't think so.
I sure do. That's not home to me. I stop when my eyes can't stay open and set the alarm to leave at first light. That's how you make it cross country fast. Actually 6 hours is a long stop.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote