Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Davydd
The various city docks for residents around Lake Minnetonka are less than a third that amount. I'm one of the lucky ones in Tonka Bay's 300 homes not on the lake that waited and finally got one of their 38 slips. Once you get one you don't want to give it up.
The city docks at (city of) Minnetonka were $2950, and you had to enter a lottery to get one. I saw a covered dock advertized for $3500/season.

If you can get one cheaper, it must be quite a deal. What would you pay at the Carribean or Tonka Bay Marina?

I missed you at Northern Hydraulic yesterday! There were about 10 people waiting to buy generators, but I missed you at the big chainsaw sale. I was looking for parts for my gas grill so I could heat up some non-Caribou coffee. Sorry to hear about your trees.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay

Tonka Bay City docks are $900 but you are limited to 21 ft boat length. The waiting list the last time I checked was over 60 for 38 slips. There is no lottery. Once you get a slip you can keep it as long as you own a boat and renew it each year. You can't transfer it to someone else if you, for instance, sell your house. However, my next door neighbors moved to Waiheki Island, New Zealand and sold their house to their son and daughter along with the boat. The son and daughter managed to keep the dock rights. I see a lot of real estate ads inferring city dock rights which is not true. Tonka Bay has approximately 300 household off the lake and 300 on. The pressure is not nearly as great and dear as Minnetonka with 50,000 people mostly off the lake. I haven't checked the marinas lately but I am guessing they are higher than what you are quoting. I know one person was paying over $6,000 for his 33 ft cabin cruiser and decided to move to the St. Croix River.

Reading the Lake Minnetonka Board, eh. Yeah, I'm off today again cleaning up the storm mess. Just removed a 2 inch diameter tree branch off the Airstream. It did not appear to do any damage. Love my new chainsaw. There is something very therapuetic about cutting wood. I too saw a lot of people in line with generators. Northern Tool did a whale of a business yesterday. Good thing their electricity was not knocked out. I thought about buying a generator. It comes up just about after every storm and I keep thinking I could get double duty with the Airstream. But then I passed once again.

2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #17
$735 a year doesn't amount to much when you consider that it includes everything, water, sewer, garbage, electricity, property taxes, grounds maintenance, pool, sauna, clubhouse with internet access, and even - get this - a 9 hole golf course!! All free of charge to shareholders and renters. Where can you find a deal like that? It's awesome for folks who spend their summers in MN and go south for the winter, but also cool if you live in the Minneapolis metro area, it's a quick drive to a quiet relaxing spot, and the people are so friendly. For the months that your Airstream is there, it's cheaper than storing it somewhere...and in the city, a lot of people don't have a place to put an Airstream either due to lack of space or ordinances.

Rob McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
we are on a waiting list to purchase a share at jersey shore haven airstream park. their waiting list, last i heard, was at least ten airstreamers long. i think we are third on the list. present shares at JSH are going for $3500+/-. i hope that doesn't creep up higher before we get in. the seasonal cost for a non-share holder at JSH is $1600 and $800 for share holders.

the park does not offer any amusements beyond a big heated pool and a horse shoe pit. but the ocean is a quick five miles away and the sat night happy hours are quite lively. presently we have a seasonal site there and really enjoy the people and airstream atmosphere at JSH.

boy do i wish i lived in MN. i'd buy up a share or two there today. i didn't see any bidding action on the MN share that was listed up on eBay this past week. i was surprised by that. $2500 for a share is a great deal. although i guess real estate is relative in different parts of the country.

over at the beach near JSH two bedroom condos are going for $750k+. for that kind of money i'll gladly live in my airstream and drive the five miles to go swimming and surf kayaking.

as an aside - RV parks in the local vacinity of South Jersey are charging $25,000+ for condo type ownership of RV campsites! i've been more than willing and able to pitch in on work weekends at JSH to save that kind of money.

'78 Excella 500
'93 Excella 1000

munimula is offline   Reply With Quote