Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Microwave Cabinet Door Latch

The microwave cabinet on my 2015 27FB continues to come open during travel on bumpy roads, throwing my microwave to the floor. Has anyone come up with a solution to keep the cabinet from opening or the microwave from ejecting, if it does come open?

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
It could be the catch but also could be the full extension guides...I would adjust the side guides to raise the slideout pantry a bit and see if that helps. 1/8" raising that pantry slide can make a world of difference to that catch.

Problem is when airstream installs the pantry slide it has no weight in it...then you add the microwave and pounds of can goods and the catch doesn't work...raise the pantry slide a little problem solved.

Remember...a little goes a long way. 1/8" to 3/16" should be more than enough.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Thanks so much. I will check it out in the morning!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
CM, it appears that the full extension guides are already raised to their highest point. Pat
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Ok...you can still raise the slide. You will have to remove the slide from the cabinet. There are releases on the full extension guides...pull the pantry slide all the way out until it stops. Then there are releases in the track right where the slide meets. Push the release and remove the pantry slide.

Now lay it on it's side and mark with a pencil where the guides are on the side so you will always know the original location. Once you have marked original location remove the screws from the inside of the track on the pantry slide.

Now to raise the pantry you will need to lower the guides. Lower 1/8" and mark the new screw hole locations. Using a small drill bit drill a pilot hole just a about 1/4" deep for the screws. Now replace the screws

Do the same for both sides. Reinstall the pantry by pushing the guides mounted inside the cabinet back where they are flush with the face of the cabinet. Now carefully start the guides on the pantry slide back into the cabinet being careful to make sure both sides are going in together.

Once the pantry slide is pack in the cabinet push it all the way closed then fully slide it out until it catches to be sure you have the guides back together correctly.

Now shut the pantry and see if the catch holds. I bet this will fix your problem.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Wilmington , North Carolina
I had the same problem with our Pendellton. I took the latch off and shimmed it with a couple of flat washers, problem solved.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Pat, I don't now what trailer tires you have, but you might consider a little less tire pressure following tire pressure/load tables to get a softer ride, especially over those bumpy roads.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
West linn , Oregon
We had the same problem with our 2016 26U with microwave door opening in transit. Fortunately no damage but we were lucky. I remember reading on the forums a few months ago about someone whose microwave fell out and broke, damaged the refrigerator door, and made a gash in the floor. So I tried to make sure that never happens to us with 3 low tech solutions in the attached photos.
Added small washer "shims" to the latch, put on 2 polished brass hook latches, and screwed a metal strap to the underside of the drawer. Just got back from a 3000 mile trip over bumpy Southern Utah toads and no problem....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	283457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	283458  

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	283459  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia

Name:	1492302648874.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	283462

2017 26U

My cabinet door sticks out more on the bottom (not flush) and is flush at the top of the cabinet door.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Oh, my! In our 9K mile trip last summer from Seattle to WV & back, to attend the AS rally, our microwave fell out of its cabinet & we found it on our floor twice. Would you believe AS had never fastened it to its cabinet? During the trip, I found the microwave remarkably anemic & determined that upon our return, I would replace it. I bought a Panasonic that would fit in the microwave cabinet with a little modification, but which required me to replace its sliding rails with ones 2 inches longer. It was so tall that I also had to remove the insides of the door latch. I fastened the Panasonic onto the old cabinet frame, which I had to lower a little bit, and mounted that frame to the new rails, and Voila: a new & more robust microwave that was NOT going to fall on the floor (and it hasn't after thousands of miles). To make sure of that, I drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet & mounted on the interior side of the hole a tapped aluminum plate and then screwed a machine screw through the hole & into the aluminum plate and against the side of the cabinet floor on which the microwave rests, keeping the microwave from sliding when the screw is screwed all the way in. The attached photo shows the result, with the screw showing to the lower right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Microwave.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	283463  
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I use Velcro strips on each of the paired doors...Micro and under sink. The Micro is blocked with an added strip across the front of the unit inside the doors, but the Micro door blew open and let the glass turn table eject (and shatter). Took a long while to find another one. Now if there were only a simple solution to the overhead flip up doors above the stove and sink.
I don't think it's the tires...The trailer just rocks and rolls on some roads
JCW
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Oh, my! In our 9K mile trip last summer from Seattle to WV & back, to attend the AS rally, our microwave fell out of its cabinet & we found it on our floor twice. Would you believe AS had never fastened it to its cabinet? During the trip, I found the microwave remarkably anemic & determined that upon our return, I would replace it. I bought a Panasonic that would fit in the microwave cabinet with a little modification, but which required me to replace its sliding rails with ones 2 inches longer. It was so tall that I also had to remove the insides of the door latch. I fastened the Panasonic onto the old cabinet frame, which I had to lower a little bit, and mounted that frame to the new rails, and Voila: a new & more robust microwave that was NOT going to fall on the floor (and it hasn't after thousands of miles). To make sure of that, I drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet & mounted on the interior side of the hole a tapped aluminum plate and then screwed a machine screw through the hole & into the aluminum plate and against the side of the cabinet floor on which the microwave rests, keeping the microwave from sliding when the screw is screwed all the way in. The attached photo shows the result, with the screw showing to the lower right.
Nice job!

What model is that Panasonic microwave?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since I'm getting an AS with the microwave slide like this I've been thinking of a cosmetic solution.
How about a key lock like we see on outside compartments. Add it to the door and a quarter turn rotates a tab up to secure the door. When parked, just unlock and leave it.

Here's another cheap solution. On my MH, I had sliding closet doors. They never stayed closed. I took a 3/4" dowel, cut it about an inch too long, and added a rubber crutch tip at each end. I just jammed it in the space and the door never moved. At least in the AS I'm getting, there is a wall across from the microwave slide. It would be easy to make a prop and wedge the microwave door closed. When you arrive, take it out.
I'd bet the plastic push button assembly was never designed to hold a 30# microwave from leaping sideways.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
My microwave (replaced the original) is heavy enough that the shelf sags too much to latch properly and securely. I ended up adding a baby door latch strap like this: https://www.amazon.com/Child-Safety-...rds=door+latch

Also, to keep the glass turntable from bouncing too much, I store my large metal mixing bowl in the microwave. It just fits inside and keeps the turntable from being able to move around much.