Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mice

We have a terrible mouse odor. We store our trailer in a barn and somehow mice got in. No apparent destruction, but it smells like the telltale odor of a dead mouse or it's droppings. We've cleaned really well but the odor remains. How to get rid of it? How to prevent future invasions?

Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Try air freshener spray lots of it put fan in AS let run awhile then spray as often as needed ev. smell will be gone. For storage place pur. d-con bait bars break in half toss every where and when putting into storage pur. d-con small pellets, if in small boxes place 1 fore and aft inside AS if no box use small plastic throw away bowl or saucer. I leave one inside water heater cabinet year round. No mice this way for yrs. before starting had big prob. In spring find dead ones all over on floor in barn and mach. shed not 1 inside AS since doing this. I don't no if prob. with pets as I no longer have any plus live rural and bldgs. closed in winter, shed heated AS inside. Good luck w/prob. Bill

Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Luckily, we have never had a mouse in our AS. But our old SOB got really badly infested one year and they nested under and in the water heater insulation. The floor was carpeted under there and the accumulated odor over the winter was horrible. All the insulation and "cardboard" covering was removed and disposed of. (This was the heart of the nest). I cut out the carpet under and around the water heater. That helped, but it was still bad as the urine had permeated the wood floor. Several very liberal doses of Fabreze helped to neutralize the odor, but made the trailer smell like a "french social club" for a long time. Both odors never fully went away, especially after long periods of closed up storage, but it certainly was bearable and lessened with ventilation.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Best to remove or at least clean well any contaminated surfaces. The use of an ozone machine enclosed in the unit overnight will effectively eliminate any residual odors. If you didn't remove or clean enough you'll find out in a day or two. Rinse, lather and repeat. You can probably rent ozone an machine. If you can't find one to rent, auto detail shops have them.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Don't put D-Con or other bait inside your trailer. That just attracts them in. Then, they will eat the poison and likely die inside.

I am a fan or poison bait though. I use Tom Cat bait blocks inside the kid/pet proof houses. I put them outside my garage and near my boat and camper. Never had a mouse in a rv, boat, or stored vehicle.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Don't put D-Con or other bait inside your trailer. That just attracts them in. Then, they will eat the poison and likely die inside.

I am a fan or poison bait though. I use Tom Cat bait blocks inside the kid/pet proof houses. I put them outside my garage and near my boat and camper. Never had a mouse in a rv, boat, or stored vehicle.
Not really true. While it may attract them, the MUST have water after eating D-Con. Unless you leave a water source in the trailer, they will leave in search of it and begin brain hemorrhaging shortly after drinking.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Peppermint oil on cottonballs in all cabinets etc has kept them out of my trailer. Plus makes the trailer smell fresh. The peppermint impacts their olafactory sense.
LilNomad
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Virginia ... near ... , Washington, D.C.
YouTube ... better mouse trap ... some won't like the assault of atrocities on the wee little vermin, but ... there are many effective ways to eradicate the mice without using the poisons, which will, as already said, attract, kill, and cause the mice to die inside the trailer...

This one will especially upset folks but it will solve your problem.
https://youtu.be/qK0UHIK_eoA

Also note that if you don't use water, they will just jump out...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not really true. While it may attract them, the MUST have water after eating D-Con. Unless you leave a water source in the trailer, they will leave in search of it and begin brain hemorrhaging shortly after drinking.
I am aware they need water for the poison to work...What's to say they won't come back for seconds or a nap after they get a drink?

Putting something inside the trailer to attract mice makes little sense to me. The stuff really does a fantastic job of attracting them, too. Twice I have had them eat through the sealed bag the stuff comes in to get at it.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I am aware they need water for the poison to work...What's to say they won't come back for seconds or a nap after they get a drink?

Putting something inside the trailer to attract mice makes little sense to me.
I only base my comments on my time living in a mobile home on a farm when I was in college....a long time ago. We had A LOT of field mice in the trailer and went through a lot of D-Con. Once they drink, it is only a few minutes until they become unable to control their bodies. Their brains bleed so badly and they walk backwards, sideways, and so on. Only takes maybe 30 minutes to die, but they literally can't move for more than 20 of that 30 minutes. Watched this many times on the living room floor. The places kids will live for $160 a month.

I can't say I ever found a mouse carcass in my SOB, but D-Con disappeared. In my AS, no mice, no D-Con disappears.

Also note: what I do is put D-Con in a Tin Cat and in the center of the sticky pads. So even if they do eat, they ain't going anywhere.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Having a cat or dog also helps.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote