Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Lightbulb Member's photos suggestion

Since the ASF sister photo album site seems to be unavailable more often than not of late, I once again suggest the use of a free photo sharing site such as Yahoo or Webshots.
After you have uploaded your photos there, you can then edit your profile here to set that site as your homepage. This makes your photos available to others by clicking on the "www" button at the bottom of your posts.
If you already have a homepage, I believe a hyperlink to your photo site can be added to your "signature".
I'm not sure how to do that but perhaps a moderator could explain, if there's any interest.
I'm sure Andy is working hard as usual to get the photos working again, but this idea might ensure that your photos will always be available for sharing if you so desire.

Rog

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
The url you posted is your access link.. you need to post your public community page link.. It said that it wasn't my album...and that I should need to log on.

Theo
Old 01-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Thanks Theo

I changed it and hope it works now.

Rog

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also would like to recommend Webshots. You can create an album there for free, quite easily, and it will stay up as long as you view it or modify it once in awhile.
Hopefully our photo site will be back soon, its terrific.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks for posting this info. I have been needing to e-mail some photos, and almost all of ours are stored on sister site. Will look into this, but guess can't do much till we are back up and running.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
From the Webshots Terms of Use page:

As a condition of membership, you hereby grant Webshots a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive right to copy, display, modify, alter, transmit and distribute any materials provided by you to the Webshots community.

This means Webshots can use your photos to promote its site (and make a profit) without compensating you in any way. Further, Webshots could conceivably sell your photos without paying you. For this you get absolutely nothing but the thrill of seeing your photo on the Internet. This is a completely one-sided deal for Webshots, and is unfortunately is becoming more and more common.

The problem here is a commercial site accepting submissions, making a profit off them, and not paying anything for using the photos. Would you donate your time to your boss? Why donate your photos so someone else can make money?

I'll offer a better deal. If the community wants, I'll set aside some space on my web server for Aistramforums.com members to post photos of their trailers, and I'l promise to not grab usage rights without fair compensation. If I make money off your photos (which is unlikely) I'll share the profits with the photographers. You'll still get the thrill of sharing your photos on the Internet without being abused by a for-profit corporation.
Photobitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Your offer is very generous, do you comprehend the ramifications of it?

If you do not have massive bandwidth, you could loose access to the rest of your space, by members accessing it ahead of you. I would have used my own space to keep photos, if I had not had the dreaded message: '' so and so has exceeded allocated bandwith. The website will be restored access later, please try again tomorrow. "

If however, you own the whole server, I will gladly pay similar funds to you, that I currently pay webshots..

Theo
Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Theo, I don't have the bandwidth under my current ISP, but I'm checking into other plans (including hosting my own web site) that will give me the bandwidth necessary to host Airstream photos. I'll be set up with something better by the end of the month. If nothiong else, I could set aside space on a hard drive for people to use. And, yes, I do have broadband.

And I promise if I do need money to provide more bandwidth I will not allow anyone to place popup ads on my site. I hate popups. I quit going to sellairstreams.com because of their annoying popus reminding me to bookmark their site every time I clicked a link.
Photobitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I use pbase

at www.pbase.com for a photo gallery. Friends have used Image Event and that can be password protected and runs a slideshow.

My gallery is at http://www.pbase.com/baidinc but I don't have an Airstream gallery there yet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Nice photography Carol.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
TY all

The point I was triyng to make is that your Airstrem photos can be backed up in case of crash or used when the photo forum is down. These free photo sharing sites also serve as a nice way of sharing your photos, AS or not.
As in Leigh's case, she lost her photos on her hard drive but they could have been saved on a photo sharing site.
And let's be real......a big part of the fun in this forum is gawking at other Airstreams.
I extend a big TY to Andy for getting the photo site working again.

Rog
Old 01-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
My Backup
Old 01-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
TY Maurice

Very nice indeed, But please can you explain how you creared a hyperlink to your photo site?
I think it would be great to have a hyperlink in your signature which takes you to a photo site, be it this or any other.

Rog
Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm not sure what you mean. I copied the URL from the browsers Address block to the clipboard while on my iRV2 photo page

While composing the message here, I clicked the http:// button

Where it asked for the text to be displayed for the link, I entered My Backup

Where it asked for the full URL for the link, I pasted the contents of the clipboard.

That created the hyperlink.

I have not changed the hyperlink in my signature from pointing to the Airstream Forums Photo Archive, hoping it will be back up soon.

Now the truth of it is that I don't use the buttons and type in the UBB tags manually, but it gives the same results.