Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Arrow 50% of members not listed on roll now.

Two possible glitches. Or perhaps not.

Within membership list now, only those who have at least one post seem to be shown. This makes it impossible to access those zero posters with PMs or emails unless they just happen to be lurking and you see their name in the online now section.

Also the advanced search feature withiin the membership area has been disabled by administrator. Further hampering searches for folks.

I hope that Organic Andy finds time to address these circumstances if he desires to do so.
I know two local members who sign in often but have said they have no intent of posting. They could be pm'd though or e-mailed if they had a listing in the membership rolls.

I know it does not look good to have half of the membership not posting, but as Brett has said, many gain much here just by reading.

Thanks
jaco
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Re: possible glitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
I know two local members who sign in usually but have said they have no intent of posting. They could be pm'd though or e-mailed if they had a listing in the membership rolls.
That puzzles me. If you know them and have need to correspond with them, why not just ask them for their email address?
If they have no interest in participating in the Airstream info sharing, perhaps they have no desire to be contacted by those who do.
As for all of the other zero posters whom you do not know, why would you want the ability to PM or email them?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Smile Rog0 let me explain and solve your puzzlement

Roger your reply is so off base that I hesitate to address it. But out of a sense of pity for your puzzlement I will attempt to.
I cannot think of one reason to exclude all those members from the member list and you have failed to give one to reinforce your malevolently intended questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
That puzzles me. If you know them and have need to correspond with them, why not just ask them for their email address?
That makes sense but the two I mention are strangers to me, nice folks I met at an Airstream dealership. We were waiting at the parts department and got to talking.
I encouraged them to join here and they said they already had. I did not record their actual names, e-mail addresses, fingerprints or even their forum nicknames unfortunately. I recall that the one I seek had just gotten online for first time and she said Airstream Forums was one of the first things she learned to find and she was looking forward to using it. Seems she was Silver Sister or some such and she had a 1975 Overlander (she had silver hair and a silver trailer of course). Her friend an older gentleman said he enjoyed the VAC group best but didn't post much at all. He had a newer (80s something I think) Sovereign. They both lived at Lake Livingston (Texas) and had met at a rally in an Airstream Park(Zavalla I think). He told me his list name but I can't recall it for love nor money. I remember he had retired from Nabisco and said he used to make Oreo's and Saltine Crackers, seems his nick had something to do with that or baking etc. He was coaching her on the computer she had just been convinced to buy and she was "lost". She said he had shown her the VAC list and she hated it because it was so complicated.(old style listserve).I told her I understood her confusion and that Airstream Forums style was much easier to follow especially for a computer rookie. She agreeingly said she already had learned that and that she never posts. I tried to encourage her to try it she might like it. Apparently to no avail. I am trying to reach her on a non Airstream matter.
Now if the membership advanced search still worked and if she as a zero poster was listed then maybe I could search for her using a variety of facts that I have. Such as her trailer type, the keyword Silver, the fact that maybe she signed on in the fall of 2003, etc.
Yeah it is a long shot, but the best one I have. I have already called the parts manager and he hasn't a clue. Guess I could hire a Private Dick and send him up to the lake, but I don't need to find her that bad.

Quote:
If they have no interest in participating in the Airstream info sharing, perhaps they have no desire to be contacted by those who do.
Perhaps or perhaps not. Who are you to know.??...Karnak??
When we join this forum we are not told that we have to post anything in order to enjoy and share in all the features and opportunities here. So zero posting members should be able and free to enjoy all the benefits here. Two of those are the PM and e-mail service.
One of the bonus benefits IMHO is the 'pleasure' of having your wisdom Rog0.

Quote:
As for all of the other zero posters whom you do not know, why would you want the ability to PM or email them?
Well Rog0 that's easy. Some of them might fill the void left by your inability to answer all my questions. Or some might be encouraged to become more active. Again expanding the knowledge base here that you have not quite filled in spite of your large volume of exposition here. We can always use more warm bodies with answers.
Please do not misunderstand or misread my words Rog0, I am indelibly impressed with all you do. I have never once been misled by that self deprecating charm of yours that you so aptly understate in your avatar.... in your own words "one loose screw" .

jaco
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jaco,

The Fields that you want to be able to search are hidden for good reason.
The forum Administrator wants to protect the privacy of the membership. To the point that this is part of the policies:

Most importantly, our user base, is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit.

Now you are not trying to mine the data, but if you are attempting to contact a non-posting member starting a thread on how you are looking for him or her and offering details of your meeting may bring them to the table.

As you have stated before this is a privately owned forum. Corporate ownership would likely limit the published information even further based on a company's privacy guidelines. Either that or you would have to offer a release in case the information is used to harm a member. I can think of several ways that the information posted today could be used to harm a member, but I am not going to post it here.

Anonymity is part of a forum. Sorry you did not get their handle, or WBCCI number so you could contact them.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Brett I cannot agree with your answer. Nor it's logic.
Here is why. First those zero posters were shown on the membership list for the two years previous to this upgrade.
Where was your concern then?

Second if you are going to protect only the zero posters what does that say of your concern for our (the posters) protection from miners, spyders etc.

Why have a roster of membership at all?
Why have the PM or e-mail option at all?
All these invite the miners and spyders I think. But the actual e-mail addys are always hidden here are they not?

Your logic just does not hold here Brett. Nothing personal you know of my great respect for your involvment.
I rather suspect that either it is just an oversight that Org Andy can fix in a heartbeat if he chooses when he gets time. Or it has been supressed for some embarrasment reason.The statistics have as you know also disappeared.

I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of in the fact that 50% don't post. But I do think they could be encouraged by any fellow member who so chooses to give them a shout. We all have the option in our control panel to block any and all PMs or e-mails. I am on many forums over the years and always expect to be included in the membership list. And most often am. Some are public some are private I have never heard of such a practice. Are you saying that miners are more likely to go after those that have fewer posts? guess you are safe from miners & spyders for life

I find these kind of "mysteries" interesting, but I get the feeling that you guys do not appreciate my curiosity. Isn't that what this thread asked us to do? Give our opinion regarding the forum upgrade changes?

You state your answer as fact. Is that the case or is it just your opinion?
Did you consult with Andy and is the increased secrecy now a new part of our lives here? Again I will ask why those of us who actively post should be treated to less security than those who don't? Better yet if people sign up let them know they Will be listed as members. Didn't bother the first 4500 or so of us.
Doesn't compute in my opinion.
I honestly think that you guys are over managing a bit. Move over and let the good times roll. If there's a fire bring out the hoses.

Thanks Brett
jaco
Old 04-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
OK,

Privacy is the key. Let me ask you then Why do you not have a city state or WBCCI number in your profile. You don't even tell us what trailer you have. I guess we are all supposed to pore over your threads to learn where you live, what trailer you have to offer help or even to ask for help.

Once you are willing to post that type of information on yourself I will offer more answers on this issue.

BTW I was looking back at your posts and in the last 100 posts you have offered help on an Airstream issue less that a dozen times. The other 88 posts were to complain about the forum and the fact that you cannot see and do anything you want to on it. That the software upgrade was bad, the features that are gone are good, but the new features are bad too. So tell me what part of sharing of information on Airstream's have you played since joining the forum?

I am not the only one that want's to know what you get out of many of the posts you make.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
in the last 100 posts you have offered help on an Airstream issue less that a dozen times. The other 88 posts were to complain about the forum
... which is really the point, Jaco. People like Roger and Brett stick their neck out to try to help you and get their head bitten off. Perhaps that's why half our members don't post -- the fear that someone will be obnoxious to them, calling their posts "malevolently intended," and pitiable.

I am beginning to think that the Moderators should strengthen the policies of this Forum to allow the banishment of people who endlessly complain but contribute little. The near-constant stream of whining that has come from some members over the past few weeks has certainly been a pointless distraction to those of us who come to discuss Airstream issues.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Let's vote on it. Like the Roman's. Up or down. If someone isn't interesting to converse with then why are you conversing? Has political correctness made it to the Airstream Forum. I am sure the moderator can disappear anyone he/she wishes.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Hear Hear!

What happened to good ol' Airstream info trading?

Jaco, you dont have a twin named "Hex" from Texas, do you?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I am with Smily

-BobbyW
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm with you Rich! Some people come here to talk airstream, and some people come here to argue - personally, I don't need the grief! It ticks me off when we have a thread going about AS topics and someone else jumps in and turns it into their own personal vendetta against someone else. It's not political correctness, it's just monitoring your behavior in public. It seems like lately there have been more and more of these 'discussions' spiralling out of control. I almost got sucked into one myself and then thought better of it. I wish more of the people around here would take the time to think before they post, determine if they are contributing anything useful, and then just let it go.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:23 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
BTW, when it comes to privacy I'm thinking more is better. I want my hometown on my posts so I can locate others in my area and talk about getting together with them at rallys, but I don't want just anyone being able to come along and look up where I live without at least taking the trouble to participate. I mean, we spend a lot of time here talking about rallys and such, and I'm starting to think maybe it's not a good idea to let folks know who you are, where you live, and when you'll be away from the house for a week at a time, you know?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Rivet Rog has left the building

Gotta go get some first aid for the tongue I'm biting.
Maybe putter around with my Airstream while I'm out.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My tongue is pretty sore also over some recent posts....

But the discussion on the privacy thing is a good one. This may be a strange view, but I figure having where you live, birthday, type of trailer etc is a good thing - I figure I'm not going to give up some of my freedoms because of a few crazy people out there. I've vowed a long time ago not to live my life in fear - all that goes on in the world can drive you crazy. This post actually makes me wonder if the forum should require some basic information and yeah makes sense that if someone logs on and never posts should probably be dropped after a while - doesn't that take up space on Andy's computer?

On chat night I do get a little fustrated we someone new is on and I go to the profile and don't know where they are from or what kind of rig they have - makes it a little difficult to bring them (at least for me) into the converstion.

I'm thankful for the opportunity Andy has given us for the ability to talk and meet folks on a variety of subjects - something is going right because of the size of this list - works just great for me........

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thumbs up

If I wanted to find someone I had met, and forgotten their user id or did not know it- I would go to the community forum and post a message;like-

" looking for the folks I met at the recent rally in ---- they had a nice 1966 ---- etc."
Now that is not too hard to do, and just might get a reply.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote